corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Ignition barrel help needed

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Ignition barrel help needed
Matty.b1984

User status: Offline
4th Dec 10 at 23:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Has anybody had there ignition barrel break?

Yesterday when I went to start the car something snapped when I turned the key. I have taken the barrel out and the rod end had snapped. I have got a replacement but have since found that the shaft which the barrel slots into has got some metal internal sections broken aswell!

Has anybody else had this happen and does anybody know if the metal ignition barrel shaft which looks to be attached to the steering column can it be changed or is my car f****d??

Thanks matt
JaffaTB

4th Dec 10 at 23:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it is attached to the column but it can be removed and swapped, you will have to drill it off though as they are attached with snap off bolts

i know this cos i removed and sold one just last week and my dad had to drill the bolt out
Matty.b1984

4th Dec 10 at 23:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's interesting to know thanks.

Can you give me anymore info on this please? Take it after bolt has been drilled you can replace the bolt? What would I need to remove etc?

I love my car to bits and have so much more to do to it but with all these problems and money spent to fix them im getting really cheesed off with it!

Cheers Matt
JaffaTB

4th Dec 10 at 23:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah you can just replace it with a normal bolt after, you only need to drill whats left of the head once thats off the barrel bit falls off and you can get mole grips on the rest of it

it might be a struggle doing it while its still in the car though, i had the entire column removed as i had broken the car
Matty.b1984

4th Dec 10 at 23:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right ok, cheers for that, would be good to fix it as said before. I'll have a look and see how easy it'll be with column still in place.
JaffaTB

4th Dec 10 at 23:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i sold my barrel with 2 keys and the cowling for 20 quid posted, so wouldnt cost u that much to fix it if you did decide to do it
Matty.b1984

4th Dec 10 at 23:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've taken the barrel out the metal surround and undone the wiring section and transponder, got a second hand ignition barrel, 2x door locks and boot lock with key for £25 just need to get the metal surround now that the barrel slots into.

New Poll