corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » What torque should my wheel nuts be?!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author What torque should my wheel nuts be?!
Bonus

User status: Offline
   30th Mar 03 at 15:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As above!

Ive got Team Dynamics Mirage, What torque should the nts be on at? I had them fitted by the wheel place at the beginning of the week, wanted to get them off 2day to paint my back drums, cant undo the bolts!!

Ive put a torque wrench set at 150lbs on, which still anit moving them! Im sure alloys shouldn’t be done up this tight! Ive been told in the past alloys are usually done up to about 50lbs?! Also heard that you can damage your wheels if over tight???!

Any ideas?

Cheers.
Gary GSi

30th Mar 03 at 16:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I do mine to 110NM neva had one come loose and its not too tight.Use a decent torque wrench to set it.
Dan
Premium Member

30th Mar 03 at 16:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tight is tight and to tight is rung off!!!

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
Bonus

30th Mar 03 at 16:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got a top of the range torque wrench, just a bit worried that if the nuts r done up over 150lbs, there too tight!

Cheers Gary GSI

Anyone else?
Dan
Premium Member

30th Mar 03 at 16:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what torque wrench u got??

Bonus

30th Mar 03 at 16:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not sure the make, cost about 70 quid tho. ment to be a good one! Got a little bit of paper with it to say its all been tested and set correctly!

I also tried an extended bar on it once the torque wrench didnt work, the fucking socket snapped in half! These wheels r on hard!

Will pop back to shop 2moro, but anyone know how tight they should be?
Dan
Premium Member

30th Mar 03 at 16:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

at work i got various torque wrenchs...snap-on 1s, mac 1's they r very very erxpensive..but all of them failed there calibration test other week...yet my 9.99 1 from aldi passed!!!

Bonus

30th Mar 03 at 16:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That aint good!

Really dont dare to try and undo the locking wheel nut, if a normal socket failed, (the socket was a snap-on so should be up to the job) i'll be in trouble if the locking socket snaps too!
Dan
Premium Member

30th Mar 03 at 16:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u get lifetime gaurentee on snap-on...if ya still got it...send me it mate

ainsley_brader

30th Mar 03 at 16:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

many common torque wrenches dont operate anti clocxkwise. They will only torque up clockwise.

So stupid as it seems you are turning them the right way?

If you snapped a snap on socket on them after only been on a week then either, it was a 3/8 drive chrome socket or else something is very wrong.
Having had snap on sockets on transit wheel nuts with a 5 foot scaffold pole over the breaker bar ive never snapped one on a wheel bolt/nut.

As for torque between 90 to 100 i would say 50 is to low. If you look in haynes it will be in there.

Ains
Bonus

30th Mar 03 at 16:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cool.

If i find it ill send it to ya, not sure where it went, kicked it across garage as i wasnt too pleased!

Anyone else know how tight these wheels should be??!
Dan
Premium Member

30th Mar 03 at 16:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea...snap-on sockets can take some shit....ive only ever snapped 1...a 1/2in impact 1 on a truck head bolt....usin me windy gun obviously...but they replaced it...good 4 that

AdamF
Premium Member

30th Mar 03 at 16:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

110 nm or 80lb/feet is th recomended torque
Bonus

30th Mar 03 at 16:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Ains,

Yup was trying to undo the right way! I did have to check twice myself when i was doing cos couldnt belive they weren't coming off.

Looking in Haynes now, this is prob a silly question, but will the setting be the same for the alloys as the stardard wheels?

Well if it is the case that nuts should only be done up2 90-100 and my wheels r over tight, will it of damaged them at all?
Bonus

30th Mar 03 at 16:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok thanks adamf

New Poll