corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Just fittled my 17s on and....

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Just fittled my 17s on and....
Sims

User status: Offline
1st Nov 03 at 19:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

got bit of a problem. put all four wheels on and just wnet out to test it. i got bit of scrubbing on front arches which can be sorted. but i turnt left into and road and then my steering began to judder.

So i stopped the car and checked to see if all the wheels were on straight and they were fine. drove off and as i got quicker the steering juddering got more violent. when i turn right it sort of makes it better in a straight line but when i turn left it judders again.

I got 17inch Dare V4s and dropped 40mm on Gmax springs. I think it might be balance. what you guys reckon?

[Edited on 01-11-2003 by Sims]
Trotty

1st Nov 03 at 19:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hmmn, I'd check all the obvious things really - balancing, tracking, tyre pressure, etc.
Sims

1st Nov 03 at 19:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ahh ok. jsut seems a bit weird it only started doing it after a fairly shap turn left. i'll have to get it into a garage
K100RSA

1st Nov 03 at 19:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

with my 17's et45, I used to get a bit of rub on the inside of the wheel against the arch liner, have a look and see it that is a problem.
and-m

1st Nov 03 at 19:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

errr you did do the nuts up tight right?
Sims

1st Nov 03 at 19:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol yeah. thats the first thing i checked when i felt it judder when i turnt left. i checked the wheel was flush against the hub or whateva its call. might check the bolts though.

yeah k100rsa its rubbing on the inner arch. did u just get it cut back?
Fad

1st Nov 03 at 21:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

check you have the right vaux fitment nuts. my friend had this problem and it turned out the alloy wheel company sent him the wrong wheel nuts
OzzySRi

1st Nov 03 at 22:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

did u get spiggot rings and are they correct for ur wheels?
Fear

1st Nov 03 at 22:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any pics yet mate
K100RSA

1st Nov 03 at 23:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just took a stanly knife to the offending bit of plastic, then being the perfectionist I am made some 1.5mm spacers at work and that cured it!!!
J da Silva

1st Nov 03 at 23:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it wont scrub on arch liner it will be hittin your anti roll bar mate, seen this a lot and experienced it
TOMAS

2nd Nov 03 at 00:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They will scrub on the arch liner and not the anti-roll IF you have a 1.2 16V
Sims

2nd Nov 03 at 06:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1.4 SRi mate. i took a little drive by myself last night to buy some drink. i drove down the high street and guess who would flag me down. Bart and his friend. They wanted a lift and i thought it would be fine. It rubbed like a HO on the front. i can feel where it was wearing on the liner. i'm gonna get a stanly knife to it like bart advised me

The problem with the juddery steering i have noticed it only happens when i turn to go round left corners. then it continues to judder when i go straight. once i start turning right it solves it.

VenomTurbo: I'll check the anti roll bar thing tomorrow but i'm sure its just the liner.

FadsCorsa: i got same bolts i had on with my little 14" 3 spoke wheels which i had no problems with.

OzzySRi : mate i got no idea what spiggot rings are. i jsut put the wheels straight onto my car. could it possibly be this or is it to do with alignment from what i explained above.

CheekyCorsa: I'm getting some pics tomorrow mate when i go round my girlfriends and borrow her digital camera. i will have them upload by tomorrow nite

[Edited on 02-11-2003 by Sims]
OzzySRi

2nd Nov 03 at 08:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

spiggot rings are plasticy rings used to match the hole in the rim centre to the hub of ur car. the job of the spiggot ring is to ensure the cars weight is loaded onto the hub and not the wheel nuts/bolts.
J da Silva

2nd Nov 03 at 10:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by TOMAS
They will scrub on the arch liner and not the anti-roll IF you have a 1.2 16V

1.2 16v as first car anti roll rubbed to fuck as soon as 17's got wacked on,nevermind mate
corsa_godfather

2nd Nov 03 at 11:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

go 4 smaller wheels mate.17s are too big 4 a corsa.u will get sick of them after a while
Sims

2nd Nov 03 at 11:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

actually even though they were rubbing they look sweet. i just can't wait to get a kit.

About those spiggot rings. my dad did say it was hard to get it to go into the hole in the middle of the wheel.
corsa_godfather

2nd Nov 03 at 11:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah i know they look excellent,rims fill the arches n all that a luved them on my motor too but got pissed of with lack of acceleration etc and car sitting too high
Sims

2nd Nov 03 at 11:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my car looked well low down 40 and with my old 14" 3 spokes on. and with my new 17s don't look much different.

I thought my acceleration wasn't to bad actually. felt fine when i put my foot down. but i had to look out for the bumps
RichR
Premium Member

2nd Nov 03 at 11:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u need to swap the bolts neway for alloy bolts - not steel bolts. I had a similar problem - turned out that the left hand wheel bolts on the front wernt tight enough - I actually threw a bolt - could have crashed and burned if I hadnt stopped sooner -
the reason it maybe happening when u turn left is that u apply more pressure on the left hand wheel when u turn and as such, it can begin to undo if its not on tight enough.... the juddering could be the wheel running untrue - just try tightening them up again - and defo worth swapping for new bolts - oh and copper slip them
Sims

2nd Nov 03 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah my bolts look shit and old. how much would nice new shiny ones be? for all 4 wheels.

whats this copper slip thing mate?
mike_1.2LS96

2nd Nov 03 at 12:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsa_godfather
yeah i know they look excellent,rims fill the arches n all that a luved them on my motor too but got pissed of with lack of acceleration etc and car sitting too high

Does this mean that the speedo is going to be even more inaccurate?
Rocky

2nd Nov 03 at 14:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah matey keep ya 17s there worth it wen the kit is on just look at me pics mate lucky enough i had the suspension kit fitted and the wheels all in 1 and tracking it was a sweet ride but u lose a bit of accelration but not that bad!! mine is dropped 40mm apex, u do need new bolt though mate if u get new wheels bran new bolts look better
Sims

2nd Nov 03 at 16:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah 17s look the bomb. i am getting new bolts tomorrow and booking it in for alignment and tracking. hopefully this will cure the juddering
tay_lor

3rd Nov 03 at 13:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mines a 1.2 16v jus ad it lowerd 40 on full apex kit and i want 17s how can i overcome the problem of scrubbage on the anti roll bar and arches

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Just fittled my 17s on and.... 23 database queries in 0.1367700 seconds