corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Fences - maintenance responsibility?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Fences - maintenance responsibility?
Sam
Premium Member

User status: Offline
1st Nov 10 at 15:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you have a semi detatched/terraced house, who's supposed to maintain fences on back gardens (i.e. left and right fences if that makes sense)?

Is there like a standard rule or is it a case of checking plans etc.?
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

1st Nov 10 at 15:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its more so a understanding that if fence's need doing then the neighbour pays half or if they arnt bother you pay the full wack
Dom

1st Nov 10 at 15:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have a look at the plans as it'll tell you which boundaries belong to you.
Cosmo

1st Nov 10 at 15:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Have a look at the plans as it'll tell you which boundaries belong to you.

This.

Will be on the deeds/plans which you are responsible for.
Dom

1st Nov 10 at 15:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could always ask the neighbours, they might have their plans/deeds that you could look at.

VrsTurbo - Understanding? If the wall/fence belongs to you then you foot all costs in maintaing that boundary. I've yet lived in a house where the neighbours are willing to split the bill of repairing something that doesn't belong to them.

[Edited on 01-11-2010 by Dom]
Matt.H

1st Nov 10 at 18:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My understanding is that as you look out your window its your left hand fence/wall that belongs to you. Whether its front or the back its still the left. Also the bottom but I'm not sure when it comes a fence when you back on to someone elses garden. I recently paid half towards having a fence done (right hand side as I look out my front window) basically cos it was just smallish conifers that i wanted ripping out before they got too big. Also when doing your fence, you give your neighbour the 'good' side of the panel.
a_j_mair

2nd Nov 10 at 10:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All depends what it says on the deed and where your boundaries are if the fence is inside your boundary or centre line of fence etc

only place to know will be the deeds
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

2nd Nov 10 at 12:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Check your deeds, one of my first jobs for house as one side neighbours can see pretty much straight into the garden!

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
matty101

12th Nov 10 at 01:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i used to be a landscaper and have put up my fair share of fences. as a general rule when you buuild the fence who ever has paid for it will have the nice dressed side of the fence meaning you see the slats only but your neighbour has to look at the structure of the fence i.e the posts and horizontals.

its not a garentee but it shud give you a good indecation.

hope this helps
John

12th Nov 10 at 07:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's the wrong way, you'd also lose the width of the posts that way so anybody who has done it correctly will be the opposite, probably not a good indication.
Ben G

12th Nov 10 at 16:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looking out my back door, the left side is the poo side so that's my neighbour on the left and the right side is my good side so that's the neighbour on the right.

although the neighbour on the right has their own fence so i think i can just take my shit 3ft high one down and put a whole new one up myself.

tbh, if i wanted new fences, i'd pay the full cost and wouldn't even ask the neighbour.
harrisp

12th Nov 10 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
That's the wrong way, you'd also lose the width of the posts that way so anybody who has done it correctly will be the opposite, probably not a good indication.

No
I used to be a fencer, the people paying get the nicest side, and losing the width of the post? wtf are you on about.
matty101

12th Nov 10 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

was thinking the same

all your doing is replacing the existing fence, so nothing would change.
_Allan_

12th Nov 10 at 20:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It used to be a custom rather than law that the good side of the fence would face the neighbours regardless if you paid for it. However these days as long as the fence lies in your boundry, you're paying for it, you can put it any way you wish.

[Edited on 12-11-2010 by _Allan_]
John

13th Nov 10 at 10:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's what I was talking about Allan, obviously fencers and landscapers don't follow that though.

I wasn't saying they can't get it, I was saying it's not the done thing, the dressed side would look strange on the inside imo.

New Poll