corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » My gsi turbo. Massive long overdue picture update!!

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author My gsi turbo. Massive long overdue picture update!!
dale87

User status: Offline
   12th Sep 10 at 21:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been planning to build a gsi turbo for a few years now and i've finally decided to pull my finger out this year and get it done so decided to make a project thread of the progress I make, not sure on how long it'll take though.

Back in June I bought a crash damaged cavalier turbo for the c20let engine and f28 box. The engine was running standard spec and ran like a dream so I set about removing it.

The cav

The heart of the beast

The pikey engine removal went full steam ahead

Then last week I noticed a clean smoke grey gsi on ebay with engine trouble and faulty drivers seat so put in a last min bid and won it for the grand sum of £510.

Pics from the ebay auction

Turned out to be a very very clean example with EVERY piece of service history/invoices from 1994 and every tax disc and even still on the dealer plates. Also with having only 2 owners from new its totally standard apart from scorpion cat back and cobra alarm and an alpine head unit very pleased indeed

Ill post progress as and when it happens, not sure on how quick it will happen all depends on time and money as always.

[Edited on 05-04-2011 by dale87]

[Edited on 09-02-2014 by dale87]
dale87

12th Sep 10 at 21:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was warned that the gsi might not make it home and a trailer may be required so armed with my breakdown cover I went to fetch it.

After being on the motorway for 10 mins the car felt very underpowered and was struggleing to do 70 so I decided the car wasn't going to make it, and the fact I was spitting 4 foot flames out the exhaust every time I planted the throttle

On hard shoulder

And finally home sweet home at 11:30pm

[Edited on 14-02-2011 by dale87]
dale87

12th Sep 10 at 22:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Between buying the engine and the gsi I had been making progrees on freshening up the c20let ready for the transplant, not bothered about going crazy on a full rebuild in a kind of a "why fix whats not broken" kind of attitude.

Turbo and Inlet removed I then degreased and painted the block in good old red hammerite

Degreased the f28 ready for the f20 speedo ring and pick up to be fitted

DansCorsaSXi
Organiser: Yorkshire
Premium Member

12th Sep 10 at 23:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Enjoyed reading that,really good start to a thread That GSi does look really clean,can't wait to see engine in dude,keep up the good work

Star silver C20XE SXi Project thread

Smoke Grey Corsa GSi Project thread
dale87

15th Sep 10 at 13:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The corsa will be backed into my parents garage for the conversion so I won't have that much access to the rear end of the car so I decided to fit the rear suspension and the rear wheels now so all the work is on the front end.

Rear ap coilovers with the height adjusters left in but wound all the way down

And my 15 inch compomotive mo's with 195/45/15 toyo tyres, sits exactly how I want it too. Also I know about the L piece, I caught it with the jack which wouldn't come out after lowering lol

Ian W

15th Sep 10 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks like a nice example, bargain price aswell

Might buy one myself for the eventual project im going to want rather than wait for them to hit 2k for a clean one !
12valver

15th Sep 10 at 17:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Car looks really tidy and the compomotives look awesome ! Interested to know what the AP coilovers are like, saw them in total vauxhall this month, and thinking of getting a set...
dale87

15th Sep 10 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The comps and suspension are off my c20xe corsa, which im slowly stealing bits from for this build (including some reyland 4 pots) then selling the xe'd corsa to help pay for this this project.

I went from fk coilovers to the AP's and I find them way better than the fk's in every aspect and my xe'd corsa felt alot more grippy at the rear with the AP coilovers.
Psychotic

17th Sep 10 at 12:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

alloys are real nice
flybikeslee

17th Sep 10 at 12:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nice start
dale87

17th Sep 10 at 16:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Put the gsi into my parents garage where the conversion will take place, should hopefully start ripping the c16xe out this weekend.

pic before I start taking the 1.6 out.
headlights lent to danny90 for his mot as he has lhd fk's lol

And pics of the c16xe saying its goodbyes.

12valver

17th Sep 10 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dale87
The comps and suspension are off my c20xe corsa, which im slowly stealing bits from for this build (including some reyland 4 pots) then selling the xe'd corsa to help pay for this this project.

I went from fk coilovers to the AP's and I find them way better than the fk's in every aspect and my xe'd corsa felt alot more grippy at the rear with the AP coilovers.

Sounds like the cars going to go like stink ! Might have to get those AP coilovers, they seem to look much better quality than the majority do, and with your comments it definately sways me to buying them. Will keep an eye on your updates, and like i said on your engine forsale thread, i may be interested in the head if you end up splitting it.
dale87

20th Sep 10 at 12:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got my log books back for the gsi today, new style red thing never seen them before. Only had 2 owners and the first owner had it for 12 years which explains the full vauxhall history untill 2006.
danny90

21st Sep 10 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ha ha the head lights dun the trick dale lol guna see if i can sell the clear depo left hand drive 1ns on here they luk good tho

and ya project is cumin on fast i can remember us tekin the engine out the cav was a laff haha
dale87

27th Sep 10 at 21:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had a little bit of progress this weekend.

First I got rid of the sound proofing from the bonnet, nice and clean underneath which is niceto see.

Then out came the engine. All the sound proofing was removed from the bay too.

found some rust in the bay, far from rotten though.

dale87

28th Sep 10 at 20:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

After loads of thought I've decided to remove the power steering set-up and go for billy basic manual steering rack for the simplicity. I'll probably regret it on the first car park I come to but this car isn't being built to go slow so it should be better suited to it's purpose imo.

I found a new genuine GM manual rack for decent money so that kind of swayed me too

Picture of my shiny new steering rack which arrived this morning

dale87

10th Oct 10 at 19:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had a chance to wok on the car today so I changed the speedo ring in the f28 box so it reads correctly on 140mph clocks.

One F28 gearbox.

There's 19 13mm bolts to remove in order to split the box casing. Bolts removed.

Turn the box over and removed the release bearing and clutch arm.

Now the casing should split in half and pull over the input shaft like so.

Few shots of my bearings which look perfect to me saying the box was on 113k before removed.

Diff removed. The blue bit is the bit that needs changing.

I chopped the old blue speedo ring of with a hammer and a tough wallpaper scraper.

Then I put my brand new F20 speedo ring in boiling hot water to make it less brittle and more flexible then popped it over the diff bearings making sure it sits right in the groove on the diff.

Then came the hard part, putting it back together. I used some locktite flange sealant I had lying about to stop any leaks, should be ok.

No pics of it back together but was a pig of a job lining all the parts up but got there in the end. I'd already had the 3 rear mount holes drilled and tapped so just got to fit my 2wd conversion kit, F20 cable drive and rear mount spacers then it's all ready to be fitted into my corsa.

I'll update when I next get chance to do some work on it, thanks.

MarkSport

10th Oct 10 at 20:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

watching this
ecclesturbo

10th Oct 10 at 20:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dale still have the cav by chance,good work on the corsa
dale87

10th Oct 10 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for the comments.

I ended up scrapping the cav.

It had been crashed on the front drivers side then left sitting for 6 years. It had various break in attemps resulting in it being left with no rear quarter glass and bent doors etc so the interior was virtually destroyed by rain, mold, rats etc cats had even moved in and there was about half inch of cat hairs on the parcel shelf

The engine ran perfect even the 4x4 worked. The car was still drivable, not safe by any means but drivable. I sold what I could from it then just weighed it in.

Shame really because the crash damage wasn't too bad so if it wasn't for the interior and rust problems i'd probably have kept it and restored it.
Kieran
Premium Member

10th Oct 10 at 20:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Glad the speedo thingy works bud.

Good work!
dale87

10th Oct 10 at 20:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep big thanks to kizzacorsab for sorting me out with the bit that drives the cable from a F20. I'd buy anything off this fella his customer service is excellent lol, top man!
Kieran
Premium Member

10th Oct 10 at 21:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No probs matey anytime. glad it got to you ok. Keep it updated bud
dale87

16th Oct 10 at 23:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Update!

Had some more progress this week. I've been tackling some of the rust on the low impact areas and under the arches on the gsi. Not gone mad on it just wire brushed all the rust off with a drill attachment then my plan is to use hammerite no1 rust beater, then spray stonechip on all the low areas and arches then plaster underneath in black hammerite mainly because the engine is out and I may as well do something to tidy it all up while access is easy.

Before pics!
Crossmember.

Under arch.

During pics!
only have pics of drivers arch for some reason

Then after 2 coats of hammerite no1 rust beater, comes in beige or a lovely dog poo brown colour.
Crossmember.

Drivers arch.

Passenger arch.

Just waiting on my chassis strengthening kit to arrive then I can get my mate to weld them in for meand I can finish of painting it up.

More updates tommorrow hopefully. cheers.

jamied

17th Oct 10 at 12:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Great project mate and great updates

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » My gsi turbo. Massive long overdue picture update!! 24 database queries in 0.2016931 seconds