corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » My gsi turbo. Massive long overdue picture update!!

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author My gsi turbo. Massive long overdue picture update!!
thomson

User status: Offline
1st Apr 11 at 21:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

great progess! awsome work awsell.
dale87

1st Apr 11 at 23:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers mate.

its so nice having the engine sat in the bay, lots of little jobs can be done now so expect better updates over the next few weeks lol
Olsrey

2nd Apr 11 at 08:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The widebelt alt set-up is fine for a lot of people being that close, but a few (me included) ended up having some sparks around corners. But its down to what mounts you're using really.
dale87

2nd Apr 11 at 22:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Olsrey - I'd read the wide belt set-up was hit and miss weather or not the pulley clears the chassis but mine is just too tight for my liking so I'm going to change to the single v set-up which has always been fine on my xe.

Another update. Not got many picures but got quite a few jobs done today. I'll list whats been done then put up the few pics I took.

Jobs done today were,
Fitted clutch cable
Fitted reverse light switch in box
Fitted starter loom
Attached speedo cable
Fitted both heater matrix pipes and expansion tank
Fitted brake servo pipe
Fitted turbo to rad pipe
Modified the 'turbo' inlet cover to fit the corsa

I then mock fitted the rad and intercooler so I could check exactly where to mount the rad so the slim fan will fit.

Few pics

Next on the list are single v alternator and lmf gear linkage, thanks for looking.
dale87

3rd Apr 11 at 22:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Made more progress today

First of all I took the multi-v alternator off ready for when I can pick up a single v type.

Then I set about fixing the rad in its new place along with the cooling fan and intercooler.

First I marked exactly where it needed to sit.

Then I drilled 2 14mm holes for the bottom rad mounts to sit in the crossmember and also cut down the original bottom mount rubbers to about 10mm thick so the rad sits on rubber as from the factory.

Then for the passenger side top rad mount I simply moved the factory bracket over a bit, keeping the rubber mount still.

Now the drivers side was a bit trickier as the rad is sat further forward this side but in the end I managed to retain the factory bracket and rubber still by bolting it behind the headlight

All mounted up solid and piped it up too. Just waiting on my new header tank, cap and fan switch to arrive then I can get some coolant in it

Turbo clearance.

I also fitted my intercooler and 10 inch fan but I only have 1 pic of the fan clearance before I put the bumper on to make sure it all fits.

Bumper on.

Then I fitted the engine loom which I had already cleaned and re-taped when I first got the engine.

Loom not fully fitted yet but cam across this plug which i'm not 100% sure what its for? any ideas?

And how it sits now. (bumper only held on by 2 top screws in the pics)

And a pic I took which I think looks

Thanks for looking
danny90

4th Apr 11 at 19:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

here is some pics i took m8

progress is good m8 not far now from it being started up lol
dale87

5th Apr 11 at 21:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers for pics Dan.

Just a little update - my new expansion tank, cap and fan switch arrived today.

dale87

7th Apr 11 at 20:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only another small update.

Fitted new fan switch in the rad.

Better pics of my rad, fan and intercooler setup. (still got to squeeze an oil cooler in there yet)

And fitted the new coolant bottle

Also spotted this connection on the let loom. any ideas what its for ? has the same colour wires as the other plug im unsure about but this on is down by the gearbox.

danny90

7th Apr 11 at 21:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

good progress its just good to see it coming together now seeing it every day as the car is in the next room from me ha (garage) there loads of progres not enough hours in the day realy lol good work mate
dale87

8th Apr 11 at 06:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers Dan.

I've still got a few little jobs to do before im happy and got a few random parts to buy but i should be able to get it fired up soon.
LukesCorsaSXi

8th Apr 11 at 19:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking good mate, cant wait too see it finished! Keep us updated
danny90

20th Apr 11 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

update update update
pagey

20th Apr 11 at 21:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice work... Thats my old intercooler lol!
dale87

20th Apr 11 at 22:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep done a little more to the gsi this week.

I originally was going to fit a manual steering rack but after a bit of thought I decided to keep the gsi power rack and use a 106/saxo pas pump so last week me and Dan went to a scrap yard where I found what I needed in a smashed up 106. I got the pump, bracket and loom with relay all for £30, not bad imo.

I planned to put the pump on the battery tray and put the battery in the boot but on trial fitting the pump was just crap sat on the tray causing the pipes to be tight and just seemed bodged sat there. So I set about cutting the tray out, it's half bolted half welded but got it out in no time.

I then tried the pump and 106 bracket in the bay and after double checking everything fitted as it should and cutting the bracket to clear things, this was the final design of the 106 pas pump bracket. I gave a quick lick of paint too. and danny90's feet.

And pics of where it will live in the bay with the coolant bottle in there too. All original corsa pipes are used and they are under no stress or tight or rubbing against anything, fits perfect and still on rubber mounts as from factory. I'm well happy with how it fits just got to wire it up now as I plan to have it switchable.

danny90

20th Apr 11 at 22:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nice its coming along now n yh my feet ha
dale87

20th Apr 11 at 22:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Double update action. Almost forgot to mention I bought some equal length shafts and some brand new gm wind deflector for £60 bargain! No pics of driveshafts yet but got a few of the wind deflectors. And my feet this time

dale87

20th Apr 11 at 23:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pagey - lol at the intercooler belonging to you , was it you who i bought it off on ebay in oct/nov ish? payed £70 for it iirc?
pagey

21st Apr 11 at 18:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nah mate, I sold it for about £300 quid a couple of years ago, good buy £70! Good progress, I'm thinkin of the eps 196/Saxo setup for mine
Mark.W

21st Apr 11 at 20:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Great work bud keep it up :thumbs`:
Kieran
Premium Member

21st Apr 11 at 20:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking good lad!!
AlexW

23rd Apr 11 at 22:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just came looking for something and noticed the latest updates.

Have the 106/saxo setup on my car, Really good having it switchable, Its nice to switch it off on nice long roads or when wanting a bit more feel.

Just make sure the wiring you use is thick enough, and don't let air get into the pump, It hates it lol

Coming on well
dale87

24th Apr 11 at 08:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I plan to use to loom and relay off the 106 and run the relay trigger wire to an ignition live via a switch so all the really thick wiring stays in the bay and ill only need 1 small wire to the cabin. well thats my plan.

on another note, cam across a bit of a problem yesterday. when removing the actuator i heard the wastegate 'penny' valve fall off , does this mean i need a new turbo? or can i get a repair kit for the wastegate? or maybe drill the standard penny valve and nut and bolt it back in position? any help much appreciated.
dale87

24th Apr 11 at 21:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Today I had a go at sorting the 'penny valve' on the k16. First I ground it flat and centre punched it then I drilled a hole smack bang in the centre at 5.5mm (penny valve 6mm where it attaches to actuator arm) which gave me a .25mm 'sleeve' left which I put a bolt through and then a nut exhaust side.

Pics

Do you think this will be ok?
I'd rather try and rescue this turbo as it still spins freely and has no cracks around the wastegate so I'd like to get a little use out of it and get the engine settled into the corsa. Obviously with nothing blocking the wastegate it would make no boost at all so you think this will last at least a few 1000 miles?
wwwNOOBcom

25th Apr 11 at 00:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just put mine flat agesnt the hole, put the arm over it and welded the shite out of mine and it holds boost like a bitch
pagey

25th Apr 11 at 12:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What are the future plans dale... Wheels, interior etc...?

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » My gsi turbo. Massive long overdue picture update!! 23 database queries in 0.0210812 seconds