corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » carbon clad corsa gsi c20let ,update , dog box fitted

New Poll
  <<  85    86    87    88    89    90    91  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author carbon clad corsa gsi c20let ,update , dog box fitted
keidicko

User status: Offline
9th Apr 12 at 09:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by TimC909
1.9bar boost with a GT35 turbo is huge quantity of air to be compressed by the pistons compared to say 1.9bar on a standard KKK turbo. Its not the excess boost that causes these sort of issues, its air quantity/volume.
I suggest you think abit about what your saying before making a stupid comment.

[Edited on 08-04-2012 by TimC909]

Had a gt3076 on my golf at 1.8 bar with a head spacer and just one leaf top and bottom of an mls gasket and had no trouble ever !

The honda boys run 35psi with a gt35 with 10.1 compresion on a 1.6 engine

My friend runs 30psi with a gt35 on a 1.3 hayabusa and does 500whp head dont lift on that !
shall i go on !
Cole

9th Apr 12 at 09:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So 35 psi that's what 2.2bar which if a conversation I had with Barnes is about the limit for a gt35 so 1.9bar isnt really much less is it.
TimC909

9th Apr 12 at 11:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by keidicko
quote:
1.9bar boost with a GT35 turbo is huge quantity of air to be compressed by the pistons compared to say 1.9bar on a standard KKK turbo. Its not the excess boost that causes these sort of issues, its air quantity/volume.

Had a gt3076 on my golf at 1.8 bar with a head spacer and just one leaf top and bottom of an mls gasket and had no trouble ever !

My friend runs 30psi with a gt35 on a 1.3 hayabusa and does 500whp head dont lift on that !
shall i go on !

Yes please do! Id love to hear your opinions on why the head is lifting on Ben's engine.
Jed D

9th Apr 12 at 11:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by bigron1988
86.5 , steveboyslim for all engine parts

have you had it bored out? standard bore is 86 yes? 0.5 being the difference?

im just trying to find out what im going to need when i get that far... a mates gave me an old 87mm piston to try in the engine iv bought cos its bored out (haven't yet measured how much by) but the 87mm fits loads better than the standard ones iv got
TimC909

9th Apr 12 at 11:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If its any help my block is bored out to use 87mm pistons.
Jed D

9th Apr 12 at 11:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

what else did you have to change then? also weres good to get some?

iv found flat top ones for about £250... is that good (im not aiming for high spec, just strong/reliable)

sorry to thread crash a bit bigron
matthew172

9th Apr 12 at 13:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it appears as rick said you dont run the 3 way water pipe between water bar/water pump housing/inlet manifold ? like these
keidicko

9th Apr 12 at 16:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

shall i go on !

Yes please do! Id love to hear your opinions on why the head is lifting on Ben's engine.

Who said the heads lifting ? The same person who told him his heads gone soft ?
TimC909

9th Apr 12 at 17:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jed D
quote:

what else did you have to change then? also weres good to get some?

iv found flat top ones for about £250... is that good (im not aiming for high spec, just strong/reliable)

sorry to thread crash a bit bigron

Nothing, just got the pistons then taken them with the block to get machined. Billy, the engineer I use would of measured the pistons with a micrometer, then machined and honed each bore to suit.
bigron1988

9th Apr 12 at 17:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

shall i go on !

He hasn't even seen the engine yet all he can say over the phone is that it sounds like either the head has gone soft of its lifting under boost for some reason as all the head bolts are the right torque still
TimC909

9th Apr 12 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

shall i go on !

Sorry, maybe I have assumed the head has lifted as it has been mentioned in the last page.

But please, what is your opinion of what has gone wrong? You seem like you think you know best so lets have it..
steveboyslim

9th Apr 12 at 17:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I suggested that the head is lifting(moving) under full boost conditions, not an uncommon problem and looking at the pictures of the gasket there are signs of movement between the mating faces.
The other possibility is that the head may have gone soft as this head has done a lot of work and may have been 'cooked' or been on and engine which has had a melt down, which may have softened the aluminium.
Another possibility is where the head collapses, a bit like crushing a cardboard box.
There is no guarantee a coscast head with a Swindon Racing Engines/HKS gasket with cure the problem, especially if there is a possible cooling/water circulation problem, but I believe this combination to be an improvment over what is being used.
Maybe just a coscast head would cure the problem, Ben did not want to take that gamble and decided to change them both.

Steve
Nic Barnes

9th Apr 12 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've never had an issue with my gm head. still use a 1.9mil z20let gasket. i understand not wanting to take the chance, i think the cooling problem is whats done the gasket though by looking at the pics. I'm not an engine builder like you though steve so i guess I've learned something lol.
Rick Draper

9th Apr 12 at 18:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Steve do you not think it would be wise to modify the inlet if possible to add a waterway?
taylorboosh

9th Apr 12 at 18:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rick Draper
Steve do you not think it would be wise to modify the inlet if possible to add a waterway?

i think bigron would be wise not to die in a fireball... if thats what you mean
TimC909

9th Apr 12 at 18:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

John dont start this shit all over please. Like a broken record. Ben knows the dangers of the tank, his choice, the end.
Mark.W

9th Apr 12 at 18:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ron you need to add these to you carbon collection.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=CORSA+B+MATS&start=357&hl=en&gbv=2&biw=1441&bih=710&tbm=isch&tbnid=AkZBi6z4mBl2LM:&imgrefurl=http://www.autostyle.co.za/corsa-b-carbon-look-mudflaps.html&docid=CbgTe0R6JTh6gM&imgurl=http://www.autostyle.co.za/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/c/9/c9432bb344f2019cf54b_large_18.jpg&w=400&h=300&ei=_BqDT-bJIOL80QXQ3uT5Bg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=372&vpy=403&dur=2118&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=127&ty=118&sig=113835044782113917822&page=16&tbnh=161&tbnw=213&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:19,s:357,i:207
taylorboosh

9th Apr 12 at 18:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fake... he needs real deal
TimC909

9th Apr 12 at 18:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whats fake? Your strange!
bigron1988

9th Apr 12 at 18:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mark.W
Ron you need to add these to you carbon collection.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=CORSA+B+MATS&start=357&hl=en&gbv=2&biw=1441&bih=710&tbm=isch&tbnid=AkZBi6z4mBl2LM:&imgrefurl=http://www.autostyle.co.za/corsa-b-carbon-look-mudflaps.html&docid=CbgTe0R6JTh6gM&imgurl=http://www.autostyle.co.za/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/c/9/c9432bb344f2019cf54b_large_18.jpg&w=400&h=300&ei=_BqDT-bJIOL80QXQ3uT5Bg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=372&vpy=403&dur=2118&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=127&ty=118&sig=113835044782113917822&page=16&tbnh=161&tbnw=213&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:19,s:357,i:207

Like John said there fake carbon, no good for me
bigron1988

9th Apr 12 at 18:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
John dont start this shit all over please. Like a broken record. Ben knows the dangers of the tank, his choice, the end.

Don't think he's on about the tank Tim, more the fact Rick wished I crash and die In it, please carry on John
steveboyslim

9th Apr 12 at 19:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes
I've never had an issue with my gm head. still use a 1.9mil z20let gasket. i understand not wanting to take the chance, i think the cooling problem is whats done the gasket though by looking at the pics. I'm not an engine builder like you though steve so i guess I've learned something lol.

I am not a professional engine builder, but I know many people who are so I am able to valuable information and opinions which come with many years of experience.
I think that there are several contributing factors, engine cooling being one of them.

Steve
steveboyslim

9th Apr 12 at 19:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

I think that having the water gallery at the cam belt end, inlet side, connected to the back of the water pump with a decent size water pipe as the original must help when combined with a bleed pipe back to the header tank (which Ben has done).

Steve
Rick Draper

9th Apr 12 at 19:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by steveboyslim
quote:

I think that having the water gallery at the cam belt end, inlet side, connected to the back of the water pump with a decent size water pipe as the original must help when combined with a bleed pipe back to the header tank (which Ben has done).

Steve

I thought these inlet Jay made only used the top breather pipe and not the larger lower one ala standard XE and Jenvey style? Thats the way its always been on all the ones i have seen, -6 style/size fitting/pipe.

Here is a photo:

[Edited on 09-04-2012 by Rick Draper]
taylorboosh

9th Apr 12 at 19:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by bigron1988
quote:

Don't think he's on about the tank Tim, more the fact Rick wished I crash and die In it, please carry on John

<<  85    86    87    88    89    90    91  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » carbon clad corsa gsi c20let ,update , dog box fitted 23 database queries in 0.0367842 seconds