corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » wheels bearing ?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author wheels bearing ?
tom130691
Premium Member

User status: Offline
30th Jun 10 at 14:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think my rear bearing is going as it sounds like a washing machine lol

is there a guid on here to how to change it and do i need a special tool?
Haynes manual doesnt have anything on it
davevans1234

30th Jun 10 at 15:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what car mate
tom130691
Premium Member

30th Jun 10 at 15:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a corsa
1997 1.2 8v
SnK

30th Jun 10 at 17:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well its not hard at all il let you know that. Takes a few hours depending how confident you are and what tools you have. Heres what you need.. hammer and mallet, torque wrench 32mmsocket?? I think for hub nut. The new bearing usually in a kit with a new split pin, pliers/sidesnips, and some punches a 17mm socket and wrench to get wheel off. A jack and axel stands. And plenty of grease. First jack car up and put on axel stands. Get the wheel off. Remove cap on hub so you can see split pin. Cut off split pin using sidesnips or wiggle out using pliers.. release handbrake with mallet smack the hub a few times give it a good wack too. Rotate the hub around and try wiggle it off. Once its off remove the tapered bearing on inside of spline and using the punches to knock out existing races(metal bits the bearings sit on). Fit the new races in order they came out tapping them in. Put inside tapered bearing on with plenty of grease inside. Fit hub. Add plenty of grease on outside tapered bearing push inside hub. Pop in toothed washer and screw on the hub nut. Tighten to 25nm as it says in haynes manual. However i like to tighten up until there is little play but there should always be some play! But best tightening to 25nm if you dont know how to do by hand. Then pop in new split pin and pop wheel on. Then lower car and torque bolts to 85nm.
tom130691
Premium Member

30th Jun 10 at 18:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok was going to get the part from ebay
after reading that only real thing i need is a torque wrench as i have the piece halfords pro kit and i think it has a 32mm impact socket

is this any good if not best place to go would be ?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150412605900&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

and is it worth doing both rear at the same time?

[Edited on 30-06-2010 by saxo_tom]
SnK

30th Jun 10 at 22:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeh thats fine mate. Just make sure you get a split pin. Ermm i would cos you dont know when the otherside might go, and its cheap fix so.
Aleex

1st Jul 10 at 10:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if your not confident go to a garage, cheap as chips
tom130691
Premium Member

1st Jul 10 at 11:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Aleex

well i should be more confident than i am as im level 3 qualified just lacking actual practical exp

but ill try it if i fuck it up then it goes to a garage got one that will do it cash cheapo
Eddx14xe

1st Jul 10 at 13:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by saxo_tom
quote:

well i should be more confident than i am as im level 3 qualified just lacking actual practical exp

but ill try it if i fuck it up then it goes to a garage got one that will do it cash cheapo

This is why i cant get a job anywhere, have the qualifications but no experience
tom130691
Premium Member

1st Jul 10 at 19:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Eddx14xe
quote:
Originally posted by saxo_tom
quote:

This is why i cant get a job anywhere, have the qualifications but no experience

and that is why im at uni doing motorsports engineering now

New Poll