corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Rattle noise from front left wheel

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Rattle noise from front left wheel
Red_SXi

User status: Offline
10th Apr 04 at 16:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

changed my brake pads yesterday, drove to MK and back and it was fine. But when i went out this morning there is a rattle coming from the front left, it sounds like something is loose. Also when i bang the wheel with my hand it makes the noise.

Its not the caliper bolts, and its not the wheel bolts... What else can it be?

I've been told it might be the bearing.
Colour-Tec Coachworks

10th Apr 04 at 17:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could be the wheel bearing. Anytime ive had trouble with rear wheel bearings, theres been a sort of wirrling echoy noise in the cabin when im driving, i dunno if it would be different with the front. But if the wheels is actually loose then i reckon it could be the wheel bearing.
This happened to me a few years ago on the motorway and the wheel bearing actually colapsed, bloody nightmare... wheel went away up into the arch... i think it was close to coming off :S
TOMAS

10th Apr 04 at 17:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wheel bearing would allow movement of disc so it could slap against the pads. How many miles have your wheel bearings done? Mine demolished after 50,000 3years old
cobra148

10th Apr 04 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Grab the sides of the wheel and try to rock it back and forth, also grab the top of the wheel and try to pull it toward you and push it away. If you have any movement it could well be a bearing, but I doubt it on the age of your car.
Have you tried the clips to see if they are securely in place, if one end has popped out that could cause a rattle.
Red_SXi

10th Apr 04 at 17:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My car has only done 11k

It was involved in a crashat about 2-3k where i went sideways into a kurb and both left wheels went under. not sure if that has anything to do with it?
TOMAS

10th Apr 04 at 17:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds like a bearing, just got to get down and do the usual checks, grap wheel at 9/3 o'clock and 12/6 o'clock, shake everything around and check to see if it all spins freely. As it was your left side you smashed i'd say it could have something to do with it. Who replaced your broken kit and did they use GM stuff? Ive heard of cheap patter parts like bearings lasting only 6K miles!
Red_SXi

10th Apr 04 at 17:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There was no body damage, it was just that both left wheels went under. Had to get the chassis checked to see if it was bent or not. I didn't go through insurance i paid cash as i get 30-40% off most of the parts
Paul H

10th Apr 04 at 19:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

did you replace all the clips when you did the pads i lost one of my clips and the brake pads used to rattle

[Edited on 10-04-2004 by chewbaccaman]
Red_SXi

10th Apr 04 at 19:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The clips that the pads sit in i kept, and i replaced the clips that rub on the disc when the pad is low.
Red_SXi

10th Apr 04 at 22:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TTT
OGX

10th Apr 04 at 22:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm in the exact same positions as you! crashed the same as you and had a lot of things replaced (bent everything on the left hand side including my brand new 17). After a while there was a rattle nosie from the front left side!
Red_SXi

10th Apr 04 at 22:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hmmm very strange indeed. I think tomorrow i'm going to take the strutt off and make sure that all looks ok. And i'm going to have a double check of my brakes and make sure none of the clips are loose.
OGX

10th Apr 04 at 22:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had all that checked but couldnt find anything wrong! Been back to vx 3 times already due to many probs with car! My car is not even a year old and only done 4k! Due back next week for new brakes as they said it could be the brakes making the nosie! Fuk knows man! They dont have a clue!
Let us now if you get the problem fixed because its really pissing me off! Cheers

[Edited on 10-04-2004 by G-Man]
Red_SXi

10th Apr 04 at 23:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will do mate, i'm going to have a look myself. I'm driving it to Donny at the weekend so i dont want anything collapsing on the motorway
OGX

10th Apr 04 at 23:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cool! Going to get new brakes next week form VX so will let you know if that solves the prob!
chris_uk
Premium Member

11th Apr 04 at 08:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

could it be the bush?
Red_SXi

11th Apr 04 at 09:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not too sure.
chris_uk
Premium Member

11th Apr 04 at 09:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my wheel rattles like fuck to (front left) but its because my steering rack has gone,

red, get your front end up on a jack and see if you can wobble your front wheel. if you can go take it to vaux for a look.
Red_SXi

11th Apr 04 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jacked it up a minute ago and there is no movement in the wheel at all.

I took the wheel off and checked everything else and it all seemed fine, the screw holding the disc on was a tad loose so i tightned it, but the rattle is still there

New Poll