corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Wifi transfer speeds - can anyone shed any light?!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Wifi transfer speeds - can anyone shed any light?!
drunkenfool

User status: Offline
30th Jun 10 at 11:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Basically I have a Wireless N router downstairs and a card in my desktop in my room, as well as one on the media centre in the lounge. We also have a PC and printer wired up via ethernet.
Downloading from the internet I get the full 5.5 to 6mbps WAN speed, but as soon as I try to copy a file from the LAN the transfer speeds almost stop. Here's a pic of the bandwidth monitor so you can see what I mean....

I've got the latest drivers and firmware for the cards and router, and it does the same thing when copying from my computer to the wired one in the study, as well as my comp to media centre, but not from the wired PC to the media centre. I've also tried turning off all encryption to see if that has anything to do with it, but no luck! Any ideas?
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

30th Jun 10 at 11:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So downloading something from the internet via wifi gives you ok speeds.

But if you copy a file from the LAN your speeds go gay, my question is, where are you copying TO?
John

30th Jun 10 at 11:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you mean your internet transfer speeds stop but the file you are transferring continues copying?
drunkenfool

30th Jun 10 at 12:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

On that graph above, I was downloading files from the net the whole time but as soon as I tried to copy a file from the wired PC to my own desktop with the wireless n connection it seemed to halt everything, but then burst up to just over 2MB/s (only 1.3ish on that graph but it did go higher) for a fraction of a second then stop again. Basically, I was expecting at least 550KB/s for the whole graph, but at the point where it stops it should have actually increased to wireless N speeds from the LAN.

[Edited on 30-06-2010 by drunkenfool]
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

30th Jun 10 at 12:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pfft could be something quite specific to your setup, try it with another computer and see if it happens. Might be the router then...
ssj_kakarot

30th Jun 10 at 16:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this happens with mine also, i cant be arsed to find a solution though :/
drunkenfool

1st Jul 10 at 08:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I need to really because I transfer quite a lot of files to and from the media centre!
drunkenfool

14th Jul 10 at 07:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ssj_kakarot
this happens with mine also, i cant be arsed to find a solution though :/

I tried a cheap (£12 off ebay) wireless N usb dongle and my transfer speeds on the pc in my room have gone up to 4.5MB/s sustained without changing any other settings at all. It looks like the wireless card itself was the problem!

New Poll