corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Growing fruit and veg - Who does it?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Growing fruit and veg - Who does it?
Dan
Premium Member

User status: Offline
19th Jun 10 at 06:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For some reason, me and the missus decided to by a tomato plant kit a few months ago. Planted it and put it on the window sill, and it has grown massive.

We moved it outside, and we are kinda hooked on it now. We have some grow bags and big pots with peas in pods, cucumbers, lettuce, spring onions, tomatoes, strawberrys and radishes.

Its kinda weird, not something id ever thought id enjoy. But its pretty simple, whilst i take dog out in garden i spend the time going round them, rather standing like a plum for 5 mins with nothing to do.

So what are you growing? Any advice??

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
Pop

19th Jun 10 at 08:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We do, well more my girlfriend. We have tomatos, corgettes, onions, carrots, potatos, peppers and some different herbs. To be fair it is pretty addictive once you get going.

My project at the moment is growing grass from seed.
JadeM
Premium Member

19th Jun 10 at 11:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've always fancied growing my own vegetables, herbs and stuff. Might get Colin to allocate me a wee bit of the garden
Dan
Premium Member

19th Jun 10 at 12:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do it jade, its worth it!!

I just hate the fact it takes weeks for things to produce fruit, but its worth it.

You cant be fresh homegrown fruit/veg for the taste.

When we move, im going to seperate a corner of the garden for a veg patch i think.

Limecat
Banned

19th Jun 10 at 14:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a lot of stuff on the go, loads of different chillis, leeks, spring onions, red onions, white onions, beetroot, radishes, runner beans, dill/atlantic pumpkins, cherry/moneymaker/beef tomatoes, cucumbers, little gem/iceberg lettuce, chives, corriander, parsley etc.

I missed putting strawberries out as I do everything from seed, except the onions which are far easier from sets.

I have a mushroom growing kit too but nothing showing on that yet.

I assume you start from seed? If so, stick to sewing times but ideally start in a heated prop at the start of that window or in jiffy7's/coir pots which are ace.

Thin things out to the right distances, give room for roots (don't let anything get pot bound) and if you get fruit on the toms and want the plant to put it's energy into them then pinch out the tops of the plant.

Rotate what you plant each year to help prevent disease.

Do you have one of those flash coffee machines at work? If so, ask them for the spent coffee from the machine and either chuck it on your soil or add it to water as a fertiliser. It seems to keep cats away too for some reason?

Another trick to get stuff at the roots is to cut the base off plastic bottles and push the neck into the soil, then fill the bottle as it directs it more towards the roots then!
Dan
Premium Member

19th Jun 10 at 15:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea, my spring onions are planted wrong lol. It looks like a lawn, i think i went a bit heavy with the seeds.

I grew the tomatoes from seed on windowsil, and strawberrys were a plant already.

The rest i have grown from seed in the garden, all doing well.

What happens in the winter, will everything die off, and i have to start again?

ed

19th Jun 10 at 16:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was thinking of growing some herbs and things on the balcony at my new place as it's pretty large. I think there is space there for a tomato plant too so I plan on doing that too so long as I get the timing right to grow them...
Limecat
Banned

19th Jun 10 at 16:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes, it's back to square one if it's an annual. Your strawberries are perenials (it has a life cycle of more than 2 years) and will crop better next year, cover it's roots with straw over winter to give it a fighting chance.

If you grow chillis, prune them back and take them inside or into the garage/cold frame etc as the weather drops, you get shed loads in the second/third year with them! Apparently chillis are only good for 5 years but I haven't been doing mine that long!
Limecat
Banned

19th Jun 10 at 16:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
I was thinking of growing some herbs and things on the balcony at my new place as it's pretty large. I think there is space there for a tomato plant too so I plan on doing that too so long as I get the timing right to grow them...

You have missed tomatoes for this year but herbs you should be fine, especially basil, parsley, chives, coriander etc.
Dan
Premium Member

19th Jun 10 at 17:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My tomato plants been going about two months now. No sign of any flower yet. Will it make it this year? Is there things to grow during winter??

jamied

19th Jun 10 at 18:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have an orange tree on my terrace, does that count ? lol
am4nf

19th Jun 10 at 20:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive not long done some leaks, will need to get some pics to show everyone how they are going
Limecat
Banned

20th Jun 10 at 00:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dan
My tomato plants been going about two months now. No sign of any flower yet. Will it make it this year? Is there things to grow during winter??

I see no reason why not. Have you potted up/stuck them in grow bags? Starter kits are shit as they have tiny pots. Get them to about 4' high and pinch out.

Loads will grow in winter, get the right type of carrots (early Nantes IIRC), leeks, swedes, parsnips, garlic etc. Mainly root plants but you can get winter cabbage/lettuce etc although I don't do them as ihave bad skin in the winter months so couldn't look after them/harvest them etc. Plenty of options out there though but they will be slow growers due to poor soil temps.
Dan
Premium Member

20th Jun 10 at 07:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea, i didnt realise about the pinching out/pruning needed so early with the tomatoes. im now about to go trim it down, i have tonnes of side shoots lol.

I think i should have got it used to outside, as im getting a bit of die off.

My cucumbers are inside on the windowsil, but the compost has mould on it already (3days after i potted) is that ok?

Simon

20th Jun 10 at 17:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I took on a allotment about a month ago. Only £13 a year. Was an absolute mess when we got it, lot of digging and we've got it looking ok now. Haven't really done much growing before apart from herbs on our window cill but living in a flat my girlfriend and I wanted a bit of an outside space to use. From top of head we have got potatoes, peas, carrots, courgette, runner beans, squash, rhubarb, artichokes broccoli and some asparagus. Some stuff was a bit late getting it in but seeds are so cheap not really loosing out much if it doesn't grow. Hopefully we should be able to get it into a good position for next year.

Day we got it:

Now:

Limecat
Banned

20th Jun 10 at 23:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Asparagus is good for about 20 years apparently if looked after?
Simon

21st Jun 10 at 07:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not sure on its life span but takes a couple of years before you get your first harvest
Dan
Premium Member

21st Jun 10 at 09:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I read earlier that the white mould type furry stuff on my new compost is due to either too much water, or not enough air flow.

Sound right?

Limecat
Banned

21st Jun 10 at 10:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Simon
not sure on its life span but takes a couple of years before you get your first harvest

You will get some within that time apparently but should avoid temptation to chop the initial spears off?

quote:
Originally posted by Dan
I read earlier that the white mould type furry stuff on my new compost is due to either too much water, or not enough air flow.

Sound right?

It would make sense, I only ever had that on things on a window sill so suppose the airflow would be a bit lacking.
Simon

25th Jun 10 at 22:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had a couple of asparagus spears pop up other day, about 5 cm from ground, noticed today that they have both snapped off. Not sure if it was a cat walking over or something or a bit of allotment neighbour asparagus envy

Everything is growing at a crazy rate in this heat, just a mission keeping the whole place well watered.
Limecat
Banned

26th Jun 10 at 01:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My onions and toms are going mental. Cucumbers haven't done much lately though.
Ryan

26th Jun 10 at 14:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We bought some strawburry seeds from ASDA for about 99p.

Just put them in the window for a few days and then into a hanging basket. Have seen at least 20 off it so far.
Tom J
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

26th Jun 10 at 20:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my garden is sloped so bilt a raised bed

Got french beans, runner beans, brocolli (calabrese), peas, mangetout, carrots and potatoes growing. Some are in containers as couldn't fit it all in the raised bed. all grown from seed
Tom J
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

26th Jun 10 at 20:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

carrots

Limecat
Banned

26th Jun 10 at 23:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice work, what are those on the left of the raised bed?

Your carrots need thinning out for sure.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll