corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Tv aeriels - booster position for digital

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Tv aeriels - booster position for digital
Robin
Premium Member

User status: Online
16th May 10 at 19:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bit of tech help needed here

we've got an aerial in the loft which is connected to our tv downstairs and give a decent digital signal, it comes down through from the loft, into our bedroom then down to the living room.

We intend to split it in our bedroom and run it to the second tv, will splitting it reduce the signal as it would with an analogue setup?

If so, will it be possible to use a booster behind each tv, or does it need boosting where the split is? Or even in the loft at the aeriel end?
John

User status: Offline
16th May 10 at 19:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Splitting will reduce the signal.

I'd try it first of all then if you need one put a booster where it splits.
Robin
Premium Member

16th May 10 at 20:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

At the split not at the ends? The issue we have is power, the socket is the other
side of the room tithe aeriel so any booster would need an extension lead
John

16th May 10 at 20:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You boost noise as well as signal so if you boost at the end of the line you boost more of the noise, that's not to say it won't work though.

I'd try with a normal splitter first and take it from there.
ed

16th May 10 at 20:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

At the parents they have the signal coming from the aerial straight into an amplifier which splits it and sends it to all the points around the house.

Looks something like this:

Robin
Premium Member

16th May 10 at 20:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mains powered? Does that need to go near the aeriel?
John

16th May 10 at 20:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mains powered and as close to the aerial as possible.
Dom

16th May 10 at 21:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You could fit a mast amplifier/splitter to the aerial, it would mean that you'd run another feed to the bedroom but the power supply (for the amplifier) could connect on the feed in your lounge. Although i can't remember if the PSU has to be connected to the amplifier within a certain distance, i'm also not too sure having the PSU so far away from the amplifier will cause excess noise etc.

Good website - http://www.aerialsandtv.com

Mast Splitters - http://www.aerialsandtv.com/ampsandsplitters.html#Splitters
^Buy - http://www.aerialsandtv.com/onlinesplittersandamps.html#ExternalSplitters

Mast/Head Amps - http://www.aerialsandtv.com/ampsandsplitters.html#mastheadamps
^Buy - http://www.aerialsandtv.com/onlinesplittersandamps.html#MastHeadAmps

[Edited on 16-05-2010 by Dom]
ash_corsa

16th May 10 at 23:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Best way is to take the feed from the aerial into the loft and into an amplified splitter like the one above.

From that you take one coax to each TV point.

Use good quality cable (WF100) and keep the coax away from mains electric cables where possible.

This will ensure the best possible signal.

If you dont have a socket for the amp in your loft you can take it off the lighting circuit, you must make sure its fused to 3A max though, ideally through a fused connection unit.

Jay

16th May 10 at 23:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had a standard aerial in my house that cost me £65 including fitting, that ran two TVs in the upstairs bedrooms and the downstairs tv, all with freeview, every channel worked perfect. The fella tried to sell me a booster etc but I just took the gamble and it paid of with 3 seperate wires.
Robin
Premium Member

20th May 10 at 10:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well that went badly

Signal downstairs is now wank but upstairs it's good apart from Quest

was working fine at first then just stopped
ed

20th May 10 at 14:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What have you done to it?
Robin
Premium Member

21st May 10 at 12:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Split the feed from the loft into a 2 way junction box, put a new end on the downstairs coax to make it work, ran a new coax to the upstairs tv...

Worked fine for about 20 mins then lost all channels downstairs but it's fine upstairs still.

Tried swapping it over to the other socket to see if that worked but it doesn't.

I just don't get why it suddenly stopped after some time
John

21st May 10 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Something must have came loose or moved somewhere.
Toby
Premium Member

21st May 10 at 12:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

or you have some of the insulation from the cable touching the cable itself on the cable you have ran downstairs

New Poll