corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » mates amps broke...............

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author mates amps broke...............
deano

User status: Offline
   21st Feb 03 at 22:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

last week i had trouble with my sub (it kept blowing my fuse)
so i tryed it on is amp and it blow his fuse, so he went to halfords to let them have alook. so the guy from halfords took the blown fuse out wen he had is head unit on, it made a big spark! then he put the ends of the wire,s together (were the fuse should be) no power from the amp?
now the guy from halfords is saying i've fryed is amp, from the week before with my sub.
now my mate saying i ow him a amp. is this my fault or the guy from halfords
Tim
Site Administrator

22nd Feb 03 at 06:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Um, if the fuse was blowing then there was a problem. If it keeps blowing, the worst thing you can do is bypass the fecking fuse!

It's the guy's from halfords fault for blowing the amp. The fuse *was* protecting it.

Also, if your sub was blowing a fuse, you sure you are connecting it properly?

If your sub has blown, the damaged voice coils will show as a lower resistance to the amp. This lower impedance means that the amp can put more current through the loud speaker with less effort, effective shorting the amp output. If this happens, the fuse will blow and protect it.

By bypassing the fuse, and using a blown loudspeaker, it's quite likely that the amp would then blow.

Although yes, *you* may have blown your sub (don't see how tho, you must have been putting up with a really distorted sound before doing this), the guy from halfords was probably responsible for the actual blowing of the amp by removing the protection of the fuse. Go screw at him for being stupid.
Richie

22nd Feb 03 at 21:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

stupid fuckin halfords. If it came on with a fuse when you took it there, and left there with it not working with a fuse, then its halfords fault. Dont give up with that, get a new amp from the cooonts.
deano

23rd Feb 03 at 10:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers boys
has for my sub tim its been wired up properly for at least a year now.
i reckon its broke don't u?
Tim
Site Administrator

23rd Feb 03 at 16:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like you've blown the sub. God knows how, because you must have been driving around to a really distorted sound.

Other than that, it could be just you were severly underpowering the sub, which also messes it up. What's the RMS ratings of your sub and amp?
deano

23rd Feb 03 at 20:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my subs 500w
my amps 600w
on the amp u have a little swich, the higher u push the swich up the more power ur giving to the sub, i have this right near the bottom. could this be the problem tim?
Richie

24th Feb 03 at 00:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what amp is it? Its more than likely a db booster (Bass booster)
Richie

24th Feb 03 at 00:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

or it could be the input sensitivity
jipp

24th Feb 03 at 16:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

need better explaination did the halfords guy bridge the fuse with a peice of wire???
or did he put another one in?? if it sparked when he took the blown fuse out the i would say the amp has picked up the same problem your did.
if the halfords guy bridged the fuse got the amp to work then it broke it's his fault.

problem is if he told the guy why it wasn't working, and said what had happened to you amp then he's in for a diffucult time getting them to accept laibility
deano

24th Feb 03 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

he took the blown fuse out wen he had all is power on, it made a big spark.
then he put the ends of the wires 2gether (were the fuse sud go) no power to his amp
Richie

25th Feb 03 at 10:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

deano as you probably know, the fuse is there to protect the amp when its encountering problems, or when its had too much power put through it. Its halfords fault.
jipp

25th Feb 03 at 10:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so basically it's fuse was blown before the amp was taken there and the amp did or did not turn on when powered up??
if it didn't and the blown fuses was what sparked when removed then i say they'll deny resposibilty cos it was broke when it was taken there and cos it sparked when the blown fuse was removed. if the fuse breaks there should be no curciut to cause sparks, unless the amp is fcuked
deano

26th Feb 03 at 20:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

he had is head unit on wen he took it out, could of this cause the spark ? ? ?
jipp

27th Feb 03 at 15:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ah so it sparked when removed from the car???

it would have sparked if the headunit was on or not. the power cable should have been removed from the battery (the remote lead don't carry enough power to cause a spark) so it's possible that he could blame halfords. but i my opinion (for what it's worth) i doubt he'll get any joy.

if he does chase it then make sure to mention that battery was not disconected as this has to be done whenever any work is done on car electrics. (not that we follow that rule all the time, i know i don't)
deano

27th Feb 03 at 21:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

me neither
jipp

28th Feb 03 at 16:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and that's why after three weeks of owning my pioneer amp i am left with an expensive paper weight

but that was three years ago, i still can't throw it away though. call me sentimental.

[Edited on 28-02-2003 by jipp]

New Poll