corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » My iPad is on its way!

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author My iPad is on its way!
Steve
Premium Member

User status: Offline
16th Apr 10 at 10:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well yes, im willing to bet far more people own mobile phones then netbooks
Cosmo

16th Apr 10 at 10:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im betting more own mobilephones than laptops, or games consoles, but they are both still mass market products.

As are netbooks now, which the iPad effectively is competing with - so its definitely appealing to the mass market.
Steve
Premium Member

16th Apr 10 at 11:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im not sure how its hard to grasp the concept, the mobile phone market will be much bigger and easier to plug into then the netbook market, not to mention most people who want to own a netbook will generally be more savvy and realise there are better cheaper alternatives out there

[Edited on 16-04-2010 by Steve]
Cosmo

16th Apr 10 at 12:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You under estimate the power of the apple brand tbh
ed

16th Apr 10 at 12:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'd all be spaffing everywhere if Google were first to market with their tablet.
Marc

16th Apr 10 at 12:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its impressive, but if you can make an iPhone why can't you make a bigger version??!

I just don't see the point of it.
Steve
Premium Member

16th Apr 10 at 12:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just been reading a few reviews, most people tend to say dont buy it if you want a laptop/netbook replacement or if you want it to do any kind of work on.

So really its only useful for people that own a laptop/netbook, that want this device aswell
Dom

16th Apr 10 at 15:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AndyKent
Youtube opens in a separate player, and a lot of sites (review sites mainly) have already switched to providing video over HTML5. Ok, so a lot haven't, but its not like half the internet is missing.

The youtube app uses a separate quicktime/H264 or H263 feed. And a lot of video sites haven't moved over to HTML5 and still use flash, mainly because there isn't set standards for video in HTML5. Apple and co wish to use H264 and others wish to use free codecs like OGG Theora (so even then it could mean that a lot of sites won't work in your Safari browser).

quote:
I do think Apple are mainly being awkward by not allowing it, but you have to admit that a lot of flash sites would suck on a touch screen. Loads rely on tracking a mouse pointer and that just wouldn't work.

Not sure how you've figured this out as Flash is actually pretty good for touch screens (Flash takes care of tracking finger/mouse/button presses, but you can get X/Y/Z data from within the app) hence why it is used a lot on interactive multitouch NUI (look on the nuigroup website) applications as well as mobile applications.
In fact one of my final year projects was on OpenGL interactive graphics and camera tracking within Flash (and MaxMSP for sound generation).

You also slightly missed my point about Flash not just being a medium for video playback, but rather Flash being used for interactive web based (learning) applications, which there of plenty on the internet.

HTML5 might eventually take over on the video playing side of things one day, but it won't be a replacement for Flash as Flash is a lot more powerful.
N16K

16th Apr 10 at 15:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The ipad looks nice, I would like one but to be honest it is totally unnecessary. Cool to have but not needed, just can't sell it to myself and I have been trying !

[Edited on 16-04-2010 by N16K]
Bart

16th Apr 10 at 16:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
Just been reading a few reviews, most people tend to say dont buy it if you want a laptop/netbook replacement or if you want it to do any kind of work on.

Goes without saying, its not either, its a tablet

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
So really its only useful for people that own a laptop/netbook, that want this device aswell

Yep, thats me.
AndyKent

16th Apr 10 at 17:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Youtube opens in a separate player, and a lot of sites (review sites mainly) have already switched to providing video over HTML5. Ok, so a lot haven't, but its not like half the internet is missing.

The youtube app uses a separate quicktime/H264 or H263 feed. And a lot of video sites haven't moved over to HTML5 and still use flash, mainly because there isn't set standards for video in HTML5. Apple and co wish to use H264 and others wish to use free codecs like OGG Theora (so even then it could mean that a lot of sites won't work in your Safari browser).

quote:
I do think Apple are mainly being awkward by not allowing it, but you have to admit that a lot of flash sites would suck on a touch screen. Loads rely on tracking a mouse pointer and that just wouldn't work.

Not sure how you've figured this out as Flash is actually pretty good for touch screens (Flash takes care of tracking finger/mouse/button presses, but you can get X/Y/Z data from within the app) hence why it is used a lot on interactive multitouch NUI (look on the nuigroup website) applications as well as mobile applications.
In fact one of my final year projects was on OpenGL interactive graphics and camera tracking within Flash (and MaxMSP for sound generation).

You also slightly missed my point about Flash not just being a medium for video playback, but rather Flash being used for interactive web based (learning) applications, which there of plenty on the internet.

HTML5 might eventually take over on the video playing side of things one day, but it won't be a replacement for Flash as Flash is a lot more powerful.

I've not missed the point at all. I've explained what I've found when using sites that several seem to have already moved over and away from flash. Maybe apps can be coded to work with touchscreens yes, but there are already millions of flash sites coded which don't take this into account.

Can you imagine the disaster Apple would have on their hands if millions of flash sites were suddenly available but people couldn't use them without the owner completely re-coding

I get by just fine and couldn't care less if Apple never allow flash (which I doubt they will)
Dom

16th Apr 10 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Flash deals with finger/mouse inputs, no need to recode (usually anyways, i've never had problems when using touch screens and flash sites). But you're right, Apple will never allow Flash as they say it's drops performance on the iPhone/iPad, yet Adobe have it running on Jailbroken iPhones and say it's perfectly fine. You'll never find out the real answer though.

Btw i'm not an iPhone/iPad 'hater' in anyway, the iPhone/iPad are great devices, just that i think Apple not including Flash is a seriously stupid mistake which does limit the product. That's why i'm more interested in the HP Slate, but i'm not 100% convinced with it running a tablet version of Windows7 (Android would be a better bet perhaps)....
John

16th Apr 10 at 18:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

HTC Desire isn't far off the ipads resolution, does flash and isn't a massive overpriced iphone.

I know which one I'm getting.
AndyKent

16th Apr 10 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Still a tiny screen though, hardly comparable to an ipad whatsoever.
John

16th Apr 10 at 18:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Screen size doesn't bother me, it's the resolution that matters (to a point)
Eck
Premium Member

16th Apr 10 at 19:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
HTC Desire isn't far off the ipads resolution, does flash and isn't a massive overpriced iphone.

Likewise.
pow
Premium Member

16th Apr 10 at 20:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I agree flash is gay, it always has been, it's really widely used though.

THIS
A2H GO

16th Apr 10 at 20:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Eck
quote:

Likewise.

iPad
pow
Premium Member

16th Apr 10 at 21:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've had a HTC hero for a couple of weeks now and I'm a convert. Bloody brilliant phone!
ed

16th Apr 10 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If Apple ever get round to buying Adobe then you might see Flash on an iPhone, but that's just been speculation going round the blogs.
Dom

16th Apr 10 at 21:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
If Apple ever get round to buying Adobe then you might see Flash on an iPhone, but that's just been speculation going round the blogs.

Apple buying Adobe has been going around for years, can't see it happening certainly not for a while considering the remarks that Adobe have made about Apple (and visa versa) in the past
ed

16th Apr 10 at 21:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They're like rappers them two.
pow
Premium Member

16th Apr 10 at 21:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, hasn't Apple been buying Adobe for years? Infact, wern't they hoping to buy Macromedia?!?
Cavey

16th Apr 10 at 22:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm sure it's been mentioned before in this thread, but the [edit] vast majority of [/edit] people who will buy the iPad won't know about the non-flash compatibility and if they do, they won't care, they just want a fancy block of plastic and metals.

[Edited on 16-04-2010 by Cavey]
Hammer

17th Apr 10 at 13:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It won't even come close to the populatity of an Iphone, that added a phone to an Ipod which had made itself the name for an mp3 player.

What has the Ipad done?

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll