corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » 'iPhone HD' the next iphone?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 'iPhone HD' the next iphone?
Bart

User status: Offline
30th Mar 10 at 07:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

The Wall Street Journal and Engadget have been mentioning that the next generation iPhone will be named the “iPhone HD.” There is also reports that Apple will be unveiling the next generation iPhone and iPhone OS 4.0 on Tuesday, June 22, 2010.

The Taiwanese manufacturer, Hon Hai Precision Industry Co., which has produced previous versions of the iPhone, said that they are developing two versions of the phone. One model will be the standard GSM iPhone, to work on networks such as AT&T, T-Mobile, and Rogers (Canada), and producing a special CDMA iPhone to work with carriers like Verizon, Sprint and Bell (Canada). Bell currently offers the iPhone 3GS to customers on their HSPA+ network.

The iPhone will need to be developed in two different hardware versions, as the chip Apple is using can't provide a dual-operation to work on both GSM and CDMA towers. With another hardware version launching, this means that Verizon will in fact be getting the next generation iPhone, the iPhone HD. However, the manufacturer said it will start producing these in September. Customers may have to wait till holiday season to get a Verizon iPhone HD.

There is also support A4-class SoC, a 960 x 640 display, a front-facing camera and that the iPhone OS 4.0 will enable multi-task support for third-party applications.

As AT&T’s exclusive contract comes to an end, other carriers will try to extend their reach to Apple, in hopes that they will also carry the iPhone.

Source

doubling the screen resolution =
I hope they do improve other features, enough to make a jump from 3GS to the newer model.
Whittie

30th Mar 10 at 07:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll be purchasing the next iPhen I think.
Rob_Quads

30th Mar 10 at 11:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They must pay thier journalists a lot of money. There is another iPhone...no really.

Everthing meantioned in that article has been talked about time and time again. They even roumered iPhone HD last time.
Kurt

30th Mar 10 at 12:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Suposedly Apple have spent a lot of time developing more female orientated products..

I hear the next big thing will be the iRon
John

30th Mar 10 at 12:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A new iphone, rumours, amazing marketing department, who'd have thought.
mwg

30th Mar 10 at 12:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

John posting something sarcastic in an iPhone thread shocker
oceansoul

30th Mar 10 at 14:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Stick HD on the end of anything and people will go mad over it.

But its an iPhone, so i guess people will go mad over it regardless what it does.

[Edited on 30-03-2010 by oceansoul]
Ojc

30th Mar 10 at 14:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nokia wid da Nortel say wot the heck wot the hell link it up with One2One I'm down wid da rude boi Ericsson.
John

30th Mar 10 at 16:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mate used to have a Nortel, was a belter.

quote:
Originally posted by mwg
John posting something sarcastic in an iPhone thread shocker

I was about to post if it was actually HD I'd consider buying it.

That's not an HD screen though, if they call it an HD without anything HD on it I'd be dissapointed even for apple.

They're supposed to be talking to nvidia about their tegra2 graphics chip though, if it could do 1080p over hdmi I'd consider it.
chris_uk
Premium Member

30th Mar 10 at 16:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kurt

i see what you did there
Bart

30th Mar 10 at 16:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
That's not an HD screen though, if they call it an HD without anything HD on it I'd be dissapointed even for apple.

Your never going to get 1080p resolution on a device like that.
The current 3Gs is 320 x 480, the above proposed screen resolution is 960 x 640, on a screen less than 4", you aint going to notice the difference between that and 1080p im afraid.

Videos already look stunning on my 3GS (not that I use it that much for that).

Everyone else is throwing the word HD around, I dont think they're the first.
John

30th Mar 10 at 17:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know, don't call it HD though, I'm not a fan of anyone who sticks HD on when it's not actually HD.

960x640 would be really nice though.
LeeM

30th Mar 10 at 17:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it'll be hd for a phone in comparison with the rest of the phones on the market
Reedy

30th Mar 10 at 17:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I know, don't call it HD though, I'm not a fan of anyone who sticks HD on when it's not actually HD.

960x640 would be really nice though.

technically it is higher definition than the last model.

Also you could use the "HD" label for anything that is of a higher definition. What will we call tvs that handle above 1080? Even Higher Definition?
John

30th Mar 10 at 17:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

'HD' was (and still is?) used to describe something with at least 720 lines.

Just because people start using it everywhere doesn't mean it suddenly means that.

I bet you don't find higher definition in any descriptions either, it's H for high, and it isn't high definition.
Rob_Quads

30th Mar 10 at 17:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
'HD' was (and still is?) used to describe something with at least 720 lines.

Just because people start using it everywhere doesn't mean it suddenly means that.

I bet you don't find higher definition in any descriptions either, it's H for high, and it isn't high definition.

I thought it was "HD Ready" that described something with at least 720 lines. The term HD has been around for ages and meant many things.
LeeM

30th Mar 10 at 17:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

most people will accept that double the resolution of the last one means its high def in comparison.
John

30th Mar 10 at 18:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2 pixels is high def in comparison to 1 though, there has to be a line somewhere, and they are under what I always though was the accepted line.
Bart

30th Mar 10 at 18:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
'HD' was (and still is?) used to describe something with at least 720 lines

No, 'HD Video' is something with atleast 720 lines.
Does 'HD' audio have 720 lines

John

30th Mar 10 at 18:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was talking about video, I thought obviously, since we were talking about screens.

Using audio, if someone came out with stereo that was a bit better quality, it's not really HD audio is it, and while on that, ipods are surprisingly bad at audio considering they are the standard for mp3 players.
Bart

30th Mar 10 at 18:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I was talking about video, I thought obviously, since we were talking about screens.

But the iPhone isnt claiming to be HD Video compliant, its simply stating it has a High Definition screen... which 960 x 640 is?

quote:
Using audio, if someone came out with stereo that was a bit better quality, it's not really HD audio is it.

No, but I wasnt debating that.

If something is of high definition, I would assume that to be higher quality than normal, i.e higher resolution, DPI, bit rate etc etc?
John

30th Mar 10 at 21:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

On this occasion I wasn't picking on apple, the same goes for anybody who sticks on HD.

But, higher quality than normal, what is normal?

I also wouldn't call something HD because it was just higher than something else.

The term obviously means nothing now and I shouldn't really care so much.
Dom

30th Mar 10 at 22:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bart
quote:

But the iPhone isnt claiming to be HD Video compliant, its simply stating it has a High Definition screen... which 960 x 640 is?

quote:
Using audio, if someone came out with stereo that was a bit better quality, it's not really HD audio is it.

No, but I wasnt debating that.

If something is of high definition, I would assume that to be higher quality than normal, i.e higher resolution, DPI, bit rate etc etc?

No, to a consumer 9.9 times out of 10 the term 'HD'/'High Definition'/'HiDef' refers to video rather than something is of higher definition. A higher resolution is a higher resolution, it's not a HD resolution is it? A HD resolution would mean that it's either 1920x1080 or 1366x768. Likewise you don't say 'use a HD DPI' or 'this track has a HD bit rate'.
Eitherway it's all down to marketing with manufacturers (Apple aren't alone on this) using the term 'HD' on their products to play on the whole HiDef era we're in.

Edit -
quote:
...ipods are surprisingly bad at audio considering they are the standard for mp3 players.

Yup, they distort pretty easily and sound pretty boring but most (except cowon, kenwood D9/HD30GB9 etc) players are to be honest. Although there are plenty of mods you can do to improve the sound quality, like replacing the DA circuitry (Red Wine iMod) or wiring in a spdif output and use an external DAC. Or do what i do an use an external headphone (CMOY etc) amp and run it from the ipods line out.

[Edited on 30-03-2010 by Dom]
moka

31st Mar 10 at 06:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kurt
Suposedly Apple have spent a lot of time developing more female orientated products..

Bart

31st Mar 10 at 11:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
No, to a consumer 9.9 times out of 10 the term 'HD'/'High Definition'/'HiDef' refers to video rather than something is of higher definition.

That might be so, but its not correct. HD does not mean HD video, HD Video is HD video, HD Audio is HD Audio.

By simply stating the phone is of a high definition, would not in my eyes mean it is playing HD audio any more than playing HD video.

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
A higher resolution is a higher resolution, it's not a HD resolution is it? A HD resolution would mean that it's either 1920x1080 or 1366x768. Likewise you don't say 'use a HD DPI' or 'this track has a HD bit rate'.

Why cant it be a high definition screen without playing HD video? Its a matter of opinion I think.
I know what your saying though.

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Eitherway it's all down to marketing with manufacturers (Apple aren't alone on this) using the term 'HD' on their products to play on the whole HiDef era we're in.

Agreed

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll