corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Lounge renovation project at my mum's place

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Lounge renovation project at my mum's place
drunkenfool

User status: Offline
19th May 10 at 07:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bit more floor down :-)

drunkenfool

6th Jul 10 at 09:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well it's 99% finished now, just need to fix on a the rest of the skirting boards and give them a second coat of paint. New sofa came almost two weeks ago too but there was one section of it mising so now we have to wait another 10 weeks until that arrives, that's why it looks a bit silly sitting in the middle of the room instead of taking up the back wall like we wanted!
Anyway, here are the most recent pics

Matching sofa for the dogs

TV, centre speaker and wii sensor bar all up on the wall with the wires hidden, and you can see the reflection of the projector in the background too

The receiver for the remote controls that sends the signal to the lounge where the AV rack is. Much neater now

[Edited on 06-07-2010 by drunkenfool]
Simon

6th Jul 10 at 09:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Very nice, where's the fish tank gone?
drunkenfool

6th Jul 10 at 10:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fish tank is in the dining room, it was only temporarily in the lounge so it was out of the way to lay the hardwood floor down in the dining room too. Here's the most recent pic of the tank, I'l get one of it in place in the dining room later

stubs

6th Jul 10 at 10:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What remote control are you using for that lot?

Can't you get a Pronto & RF extender or a Nevo with a link and get rid of that powermid? I wouldn't be happy having that sat there where it could be knocked and damaged (or chewed by the dog!)

Seems silly to have spent £100 on a HDMI cable, yet scrimp on your interface..

With a Pronto, you could nicely integrate some RF lighting control too. Home Easy range are very cheap and work very well.

[Edited on 06-07-2010 by stubs]
drunkenfool

6th Jul 10 at 12:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just using the standard remotes at the moment, i.e. separate ones for sky, media centre and amp. It's not really too much of a hassle to be honest but I may suggest something like the Pronto to my mum in the future. The only thing is though it would have to be incredibly easy to use!!
stubs

6th Jul 10 at 12:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If setup correctly, they are!
The pronto is 99% fully customisable.. there's only 3 buttons you can't change. The screen can have whatever layout you're capable of creating.

With so much equipment to use.. it would be so much eaier to press "watch a film" rather then turning the projector on, turning the plasma off, switching the amp to the correct presets, turning the player on... etc etc.
My missus would kill me now if I got rid of our Pronto's... she even made me buy one for the bedroom cos she loves it so much!

Not to mention that you can setup timer options to operate the lights (and blinds/curtains if you have them setup) at certain times. Very versatile.. and with a few hours of setting up, very very user friendly
drunkenfool

6th Jul 10 at 12:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OK mate cheers for the info, I'll look into it! The only thing that has put me off programmable remotes is that I don't understand how the remote knows the status of the equipment - say you had a macro for turning on the tv and then the amp and sky, and you had another one for turning on the tv and amp then putting on the media centre, if you wanted to switch from sky to media and you pressed the macro, wouldn't that turn off the tv and amp again because they were already on? Or would you need another command of say "_switch to_ media centre" instead of "turn on media centre"? (Hopefully you understand what I mean! )
stubs

6th Jul 10 at 14:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I know what you mean

Some remotes (such as the Logitech Harmony's) use logic commands... i.e. it remembers what state all of the equipment is in. All good until someone picks up the standard TV remote and uses it.. it then get's it's knickers in a twist and all the equipment gets out of sync. This can be rectified by pressing the "Help" button on the remote and it steps through questions like "is the TV now turned on?"… "did this solve your problem?"… it works ok, but not very good from a users point of view.

The other way is to use "discrete" codes. There's a few good websites that have details about these (such as Remote Central)… basically although your TV might only have a power toggle button on the standard remote, it may actually respond to separate power on & power off commands. Same for the inputs… rather than transmitting "AV" 3x times, you can just transmit a discrete code for "HDMI2" for example. These are great for using in Macro's as it doesn't matter if the power on command is given to a piece of equipment that's already on.. It will just ignore it.

Again though, this can have a flaw.. Like for example if your TV takes 8 seconds to power on before you can give it another command… it can mean long wait times from a macro button press. You can occupy this time by giving out other commands whilst you wait for something to warm up.. but you ideally need to keep your "user" informed with on-screen timers etc.. Stop them keep pressing it.
The other issue is that not all equipment accepts discrete codes. Most of the mainstream stuff will.. But I have a WD TV Live media player and a Icecrypte S4000HD Sky box.. Both of which don't support it. I have emailed the manufacturers and so far, Icecrypt have stated that they are changing the firmware to include a feature that will wake the box from standby on reciept of the zero button command… not the best but it will help.

The ultimate way of gaining full control I suppose is RS232 feedback and the likes.. But you're talking quite a bit more money for a setup to accommodate that. Crestron and the likes are good for that, but a bit out of my price range for just now.

To be honest, so long as you put plenty of thought and time into your programming, you should be ok. Remember to lock away the old remotes and only ever use them as a failover, otherwise it throws out any logic that you've programmed into your equipment. Keep the design simple, and always have a way of accessing the not-so-common buttons such as setup buttons, that way you still don't need to resort to the OEM remotes.
Lawrah
Premium Member

6th Jul 10 at 14:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hmm Bit of a mish mash of stuff..

Why didnt you carry it on through to the little conservatory part?

You also need to change the vases and what not to fit in with the new modern look.

The curtains are a bit naff also..some nice blinds would be nice, also for the small windows.

Other than that, its nae bad.

[Edited on 06-07-2010 by Lawrah]
drunkenfool

6th Jul 10 at 15:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The flooring was carried on into the conservatory too but the furniture in there was given to her by her mum and it's quite an expensive antique set which my mum doesn't want to get rid of until my gran has died because she doesn't want to offend her!
To be honest I hadn't even noticed the old vases - I do agree with you though, they look quite out of place there at the moment so I t hink I will go get rid of them later and see how long it takes my mum to notice
stubs

6th Jul 10 at 15:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was going to say actually.. don't you have any curtains or blinds for the windows behind the sofa?... must be a pain trying to watch the projector without the room being fully dark?
drunkenfool

6th Jul 10 at 15:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not yet but only because we haven't got round to it yet - it's the next job to do The projector is easily watchable during the daytime but obviously the black level suffers from the ambient light.
Haimsey
Premium Member

9th Jul 10 at 17:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Uber cool tv and projector Looks great

Marcy Marc

White Sport Progress Thread
mantamark

9th Jul 10 at 20:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cool beans, where is the sofa from & how much was it? looks ideal for our new room!
ssj_kakarot

10th Jul 10 at 10:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks nice but er why spend £100 on a cable, i just ran a 10m hdmi from ebay for £7 and it sends 1080p blu ray signals fine :/
Dom

11th Jul 10 at 20:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ssj_kakarot
looks nice but er why spend £100 on a cable, i just ran a 10m hdmi from ebay for £7 and it sends 1080p blu ray signals fine :/

Probably been reading too much What HiFi and wank mags like that. It's been scientifically proven countless of times that expensive cables can not and will not improve picture quality (there has been no scientific proof that PQ increases with decent HDMI cables) over say a £10 jobbie. Unless you're running lengths over 50m where on a seriously crap cable you can get echoing, induced transmission delay and the edges of the digital signal square-wave can start to round, which can all cause issues with error correction. But this would result in blockiness of the image or a complete drop-out.
But this is same with people spending stupid amounts on SPDif/Coax digital cables, where jitter and quantisation usually gets mentioned. But that's a load of betty as well!

Back on topic, although a bit extreme for an old dear it's an impressive setup
mantamark

11th Jul 10 at 20:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wheres the sofa from dude?
dannymccann

12th Jul 10 at 06:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks amazing Lucky enough to have a room that size to work with in the first place
whitter45

12th Jul 10 at 15:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ssj_kakarot

it will do as its a digital signal - either on or off. Marketing at its finest

extremely long runs will only require more expensive cable
drunkenfool

13th Jul 10 at 09:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mantamark
Wheres the sofa from dude?

DFS
mantamark

13th Jul 10 at 12:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye? cool, looks alot more "upmarket" than the usual dfs stuff you see.

How long ago did you buy it? i had a quick look and cant find it on the site?

Cheers fella, nice work btw.
drunkenfool

13th Jul 10 at 12:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We must have ordered it around 4 months ago now because there was a 12 week delivery time.
mantamark

13th Jul 10 at 14:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it the 'Milan' one? It looks like it, i must have missed it, its in red on the website, doesnt look half as nice as it does in black!

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll