corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Lounge renovation project at my mum's place

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Lounge renovation project at my mum's place
drunkenfool

User status: Offline
24th Mar 10 at 09:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well since leaving uni I've moved back to my mum's house almost by accident (long story!) and I may be here for 18 months while I save some money up for pilot training, so I've been helping out round her place as much as I can (built the big 20,000 litre koi pond with viewing window etc over the summer) and now we've started on the inside.
I don't have any pics of the lounge all put together how it was before, but basically we are taking down the 1970s style picture rails and pelmets, moving the flatscreen tv and fireplace onto the opposite wall so we can get a big L shaped sofa in the room, and we're putting in a false ceiling with spotlights, putting the projector on the ceiling properly all boxed in, 84" tab tensioned motorised screen also boxed in and hidden on the other wall, and blocking off half of a set of double doors to make it all possible. We are also moving the whole AV rack into the dining room the other side of the wall so it is out of the way (it may be boxed in a custom cabinet eventually but its not top on the list of priorities at the moment!), so all we will have in the lounge in an infared receiver which willl send the remote control signals via radio to a transmitter in the lounge. The projector has a 12v trigger output and the screen his an input, so as soon as the projector is turned on the screen will lower itself, which is pretty cool
The colour scheme will be basically all white with a black sofa, but the wall where the tv/fireplace were (and that will now be behind the new sofa) will be lit with 3 DMX controllable RGB LED lights, so you can basically change the colour of the wall with a control panel by the main light switch, so it will set the mood of the room

This is the wall where the fireplace and TV were. You can also see where the cablign went to 2 wall lights which we have now removed, and the trunking on the ceiling ready for the projector video cables.

10m long Chord HDMI cable

AV rack in the dining room

The Panasonic PT-AE4000 projector that I bought as a Christmas present for myself, full 1080P 3 LCD and it's pretty big

Wires for sky+ and the video feed back to my mum's room upstairs have been extended to the av rack in the dining room, and channeled through the wall ready for plastering. The speaker cable you can see here is just cheapy stuff, but it goes to two outdoor speakers that we have running off the 2nd zone output on the amp, so we can put music on in the garen when we are having BBQs etc.

Some of the control boxes for the RGB LEDs

...which have now been hidden in the ceiling

The main control box for the coloured lights

and the lights themselves which will be going in the ceiling

Stud partitioned wall up to block up half of that double doorway

That is where the 50" plasma will be on the wall, and then where the 84" screen will drop down in front of. All of the cabling is hidden, we just need to run the HDMI feed to the TV and the speaker cable to the centre speaker. Luckily there was a picture light there before almost exactly where we need the power supply to the projector screen, so that saved a bit of hassle

and then this shot is looking from the dining room through the stud partion, just so you can see a bit more of the room

I'll get some more pics up when we have more progress

[Edited on 24-03-2010 by drunkenfool]
C2RL R

24th Mar 10 at 15:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why are you having the projector screen AND a 50" Plasma?
Rob_Quads

24th Mar 10 at 16:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nothing wrong with a projector and big screen. No big screen can compare with a projector when the footy or movies are on (I've got a 47" & 2m screeen

We won't make any comment about the mains cable being in the wall without any protection.
John

24th Mar 10 at 16:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How much did you pay for the chord cable and the DMX stuff, complete waste of money.

I'd hide that trunking along the roof, especially since everything else is armoured.
AK

24th Mar 10 at 17:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yup... trunking along the roof seems daft when you have channelled everything else. It will spoil the whole lot if left as is
drunkenfool

24th Mar 10 at 18:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That trunking along the ceiling is already hidden now with the false ceiling that we have put in for the spot lights, maybe i didn't make that quite clear. I'll get some more pics up in a bit of how it's looking now.
drunkenfool

24th Mar 10 at 18:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
How much did you pay for the chord cable and the DMX stuff, complete waste of money.

I'd hide that trunking along the roof, especially since everything else is armoured.

The Chord cable was just over £100 off ebay but tbh at those distances you need quite a decent cable to send the full 1080p singnal, and with a £2500 projector £100 for a cable isn't really that much in comparison. And the DMX lighting isn't a waste of money at all because it's exactly what we want
John

24th Mar 10 at 18:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You don't need a 100 quid cable over 10m, a £15 would do the same.
drunkenfool

24th Mar 10 at 18:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by C2RL R
why are you having the projector screen AND a 50" Plasma?

Plasma for day to day use, projector for watching films and stuff when the room is darker. The extra 34" diagonally makes a huge difference to the overall viewing are, and an 80" plasma screen on the wall would look stupid. At least with the electric screen you can raise and lower it when you want to use it.
drunkenfool

24th Mar 10 at 18:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
You don't need a 100 quid cable over 10m, a £15 would do the same.

Depends who you listen to. You're not gonna teach me anything I don't already know, and I was happy to spend the money so it's not an issue
drunkenfool

24th Mar 10 at 19:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by drunkenfool
That trunking along the ceiling is already hidden now with the false ceiling that we have put in for the spot lights, maybe i didn't make that quite clear. I'll get some more pics up in a bit of how it's looking now.

I just took this pic this evening, but I realised that you can see in some of the pics above that it has now been hidden anyway!

We've also now run the power and HDMI cables in the wall ready for the plasma screen, and put in the cat5 cable that will run the 12v trigger from the projector to the motorised screen so it comes up and down on its own when the projector turns on and off.

Plastering should be started tomorrow
Toby
Premium Member

26th Mar 10 at 17:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looking good, but extreme for your mum though?
drunkenfool

2nd Apr 10 at 23:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well after taking down the picture rails and tapping the old plaster with a hammer to get the loose bits off, we basically had to replaster the entire room so its taken a bit longer than first expected! All the plastering is now done though and we've buiilt a box for the projector and to house the control boxes for the RGB LEDs and cut out the holes for the normal LED spots (Philips 'Master' 7w dimmable ones).
I've put up the old manual screen just for this weekend so we have a TV to watch, but the new ceiling-mounted electric screen will be going up on Monday/Tues after ive done the painting. The old manual screen is 80" diagonal and the new one is 84", so it will be pretty much the same size just mouted on the ceiling and all hidden away. Here are the most recent pics anyway

drunkenfool

4th Apr 10 at 01:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well, after 6 hours of painting, one reel of fish wire stuck in the ceiling (which we will now have to free from the floorboards above because I can't even cut it off with a hacksaw!) and one paint covered puppy, we are now a little bit closer to the end

dannymccann

4th Apr 10 at 06:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You certainly don't do half a job when you start these projects

What are you trained as, and are you doing this all by yourself? I wouldnt have a clue with electricals and plastering, are you just a DIY enthusiast or a tradesman with connections?
drunkenfool

6th Apr 10 at 07:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got a 1st class honours degree in Spanish, so not particularly useful for DIY! We got somebody in to do the plastering for us, and we also got them to do the false ceiling because even though we could have done it ourselves, I work full time and I knew that this project would have dragged on for weeks and weeks otherwise.
drunkenfool

6th Apr 10 at 07:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've now done the second coat of white and the room is looking a lot better.

Plan for today is to get the electric screen up on the wall and then finish wiring in the spotlights. We made a bit of a stupid mistake with the false ceiling and forgot about the batons that run across to hold the plasterboard up, so now there's no straight run without hitting the joists and I now have to drill access holes in the floorboards in the room above!
The plan for the RGB lights was to have 3 on the back wall but I also forgot about the projector box being in the middle so I think I will have to buy one more light and then have 2 lights either side of the box and light the wall that way. It's almost finished now though, and then the new sofa will be delivered in about 8 weeks. We've got this one but in black, and it will be 5 seats across the back then 2 on one side by the window and then a chaise long bit sticking out of the other end.

drunkenfool

15th Apr 10 at 08:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well there has been quite a bit more progress now and we are pretty much finished, just need another coat of paint on the walls, the glossing done and the finishing touches. We are going to put a hardwood floor down too but not until the lounge has been done too so that will have to wait for a few weeks. Anyway, here are some more recent pics...

Projector screen up on the ceiling

All hooked up

TV back on the wall

Cabling hidden in the wall for the TV, as well as the centre speaker and the sensor bar for the Wii

Projector screen box built and ready to be painted, we also put in the last of the LED spotlights which I am very impressed with - less than 100w of lighting for the whole room and it's very bright!

These are the lightbulbs in case anyone is interested

and finally the colour changing LED lights. We were originally going to have 3 on the wall but we forgot about the projector box so had to put 2 either side of it instead. 3 are in and wired up, we are just waiting for the 4th bulb unit to be delivered

So far im pretty pleased with it, cant wait to get the new sofa in!

noshua

15th Apr 10 at 16:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking good - you always seem to be decorating!

Is there anythin extracting the warm air out of the projector?
Bart

15th Apr 10 at 17:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That Panny is ment to be the bees nees (even if it does look ugly).
I think they have just released the AE5000 aswell havent they?

Can I ask if you had to do any calculations, with the distance between the projector and screen, or did it just happen to fit correctly, or was it just plonked in and the zoom setup accordingly?
drunkenfool

15th Apr 10 at 18:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by noshua
Looking good - you always seem to be decorating!

Is there anythin extracting the warm air out of the projector?

It's got a built in fan and we decided not to put a front on the box for that very reason
drunkenfool

15th Apr 10 at 18:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bart
That Panny is ment to be the bees nees (even if it does look ugly).
I think they have just released the AE5000 aswell havent they?

Can I ask if you had to do any calculations, with the distance between the projector and screen, or did it just happen to fit correctly, or was it just plonked in and the zoom setup accordingly?

I've not done any research into the market since I bought the PT-AE4000 at christmas, but it should do me for a good few years - I had my old PT-AE900 for about 5 years and was really pleased with it, but when i set it up side by side with the 4000 it looked as if it were broken!
As for the calculations, I just set the projector in roughly the area that it would be positioned an then zoomed in as far as it would go to make sure we could get the picture big enough - it would actually do about 130" diagonally from that distance - I decieded to be more sensible and get a 110" screen but when I completely forgot to measure the distance between teh two doors and the 100" screen was about 50cm too wide so we had to settle for the 84" diagonal screen which fits in absolutely perfectly
Nath

16th Apr 10 at 12:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice project
N16K

16th Apr 10 at 15:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cool, coming along well now.
drunkenfool

18th May 10 at 08:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

New radiators - we have that one under the window and then two vertical ones, one each side of the room to keep the symmetry

We cut a channel in the concrete floor for the satellite cables and the phono cable for the subwoofer that will sit in the back corner ready to put down the new hardwood floor

Hopefully the house shoud FINALLY be back together again in the next week

[Edited on 18-05-2010 by drunkenfool]

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll