corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Just bought a Rover....

New Poll
  <<  3    4    5    6    7    8  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Just bought a Rover....
DaveyLC

User status: Offline
2nd Feb 10 at 15:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Fad
He does have the touch of death

OT: Very nice Davey needs ragging around an industrial estate

SVM 286

2nd Feb 10 at 16:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right Dave, brace yourself, sorry for the essay but I feel honour bound to unload some invaluable knowledge in your general direction.

Here's some stuff you need to do and carry with you...

One of the heater hoses (not sure which one, X-Power forums will have details of location and part number) can go pop at the elbow so carry a spare.

Carry a spare drive belt as they can jump and partially or completely shred from violent rev changes on some engines (slam shifting into 2nd etc).

If your heater water blend valve goes tits up, the A/C will invariably run at full heat all the time.
You can access the valve and close it by hand though as a temporary fix if it's during hot weather. It will of course only run cool then.
They are easy to change (located beneath scuttle on near side) but dear to buy.
It might be worth trying to fix your own one if it does pack up, plus there's at least one fella on X-Power forums trying to develop a cheap fix.

Now this is the important one and WILL make the difference between you breaking down or not...

Get yourself down to your local MGR/X-Part dealer and purchase the little orangey-red plastic fuel filter housing modification clip.

The part number will be on X-Power forums if your dealer isn't familiar. It's a tiny little thing and usually costs about 75p. You may not need it, but it's so cheap, you might aswell buy it first as you don't want to do the job twice.

Take your rear seat lower squab out, unbolt and remove the inspection plate on the near side of the floor. There is one on each side but this is the only one you need to touch (the other houses the other level balance chamber and the pump).

Undo the large securing ring, anticlockwise (I tapped mine undone with a mallet and large flat blade screwdriver) and carefully raise the fuel filter/level float housing from out of the tank (do this with the tank as empty as possible).

If the modification has been carried out it will be obvious as there will be an example of the clip you purchased attached to the white plastic housing already and all you need to do is reassemble everything (the seat squab is a bitch to get back in though).

If there isn't one in place, then simply clip your one on and reassemble everything. It should be fairly self explanatory as to where it locates but it's probably wisest to print off a pic of it's exact location on the housing from yes, you've guessed it, good old X-Power forums.

This little piece of plastic is absolutely vital and was an oversight by BMW, as the tank itself and it's incorporated parts are all BMW hardware.

The clip prevents the top and bottom halves of the filter/ level float housing from rotating anti-clockwise and seperating.

Without the clip in place, this WILL happen, the car will instantly draw air from the top of the tank and it WILL break down.

This is a dead cert Dave. If the clip hasn't been fitted as a warranty issue or on the production line, you will definitely come to a grinding halt at some point. Most probably miles from home and in the dark and pissing rain.

[Edited on 02-02-2010 by SVM 286]
SVM 286

2nd Feb 10 at 16:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rich H
Ah ok, I retract that statement then They obviously made a decent effort with this one then!

The ZR, ZS and TF's I've worked on are all horrendous - pieces falling off, rattling, very loose etc at 30K miles etc

I've not had much experiance of the ZRs and ZSs Rich, but the Fs and TFs do strike me as terrible cars from what i've done on them.
Mind you, my Dad has a Rover 200 BRM and it's a brilliant little car. He's had it since new (ten years now) and I can't fault it.
The ZR is essentially a 200 too. Maybe they did some cost cutting on those later variants.

The ZT is incredible though. The rustproofing is really comprehensive and neat and things like jacking points are all really over engineered so the car stands less chance of being damaged by a clumsy muppet with a four post ramp. The suspension has unique alloy components that look like they've been made for a Porsche 928.

SVM 286

2nd Feb 10 at 16:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Fad
quote:
Originally posted by SVM 286

Mine is in mothballs.

Isn't everything you own?

Yup.

But more so the really expensive stuff.

Not long now though.
Fad

2nd Feb 10 at 16:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did you marry some old codger for her money then?
SVM 286

2nd Feb 10 at 16:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
SVM: So how come yours is off the road?

[Edited on 02-02-2010 by DaveyLC]

Got banned for doing 150 in it on the M4 and lost my job too.

The job I have now pays little more than half what my last job did and really you need to have five years of clean license after a ban before you can insure anything silly again.

No insurer would touch me for covering the V8 for anything less than silly money after my ban.

I'm still paying the loan I took out to buy the car and i've got two credit cards and an overdraught that are full up too.

Late this October, my loan will be paid in full. About five or six months after that, I will have cleared my credit cards and overdraught. And next summer (providing nothing bad happens), I will have had a clean license for five years.

So the V8 and the RS should be back on the road late next summer.
SVM 286

2nd Feb 10 at 16:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jr
quote:
Originally posted by Fad
I thought it related to doing 130 through a speed carmera trap whilst waving?

no it is actully fully broken, "we" also broke the black ZT whilst giving it ultimate death on a NSRA tunnel run

It's not broken. It's all fixed and drives just fine. The bumper is just in the garage and I can't be bothered to put it back on. Especially as it's always raining.

The black one just developed a bit of a misfire in all that heat and London traffic. It's not done it since.
DaveyLC

2nd Feb 10 at 16:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
MG OWNER GEEKYNESS

The previous owner was maticulous!

Its already got the silicone heater matrix hose, new fuel pump clip, new A/C compressor, the heater valve thing from some house central heating system as sold on the owners club.. And some various other fixes.

DaveyLC

2nd Feb 10 at 16:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jr
quote:
Originally posted by Fad
I thought it related to doing 130 through a speed carmera trap whilst waving?

no it is actully fully broken, "we" also broke the black ZT whilst giving it ultimate death on a NSRA tunnel run

It's not broken. It's all fixed and drives just fine. The bumper is just in the garage and I can't be bothered to put it back on. Especially as it's always raining.

The black one just developed a bit of a misfire in all that heat and London traffic. It's not done it since.

OUCH!!! see finance is bad!
SVM 286

2nd Feb 10 at 16:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Fad
Did you marry some old codger for her money then?

No, it's just been fucking years since I took my loan out and was forced to run all of my other forms of credit up to the brim.

The loan will be five years old in October dear, so will be paid off. That's six hundred quid less each month that I have stolen off of me by HSBC.
SVM 286

2nd Feb 10 at 16:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
MG OWNER GEEKYNESS

The previous owner was maticulous!

Its already got the silicone heater matrix hose, new fuel pump clip, new A/C compressor, the heater valve thing from some house central heating system as sold on the owners club.. And some various other fixes.

Top stuff. How many owners has it had davey?

I'd deffo carry a drive belt though (and the spanner etc to change it) as they can snap or shred without warning, with too much 'spirited driving'. Even a minted one.

I'm surprised it needed a compressor though. Not heard of them going. Is it high mileage?
Maybe there wasn't enough PAG oil in the system.
DaveyLC

2nd Feb 10 at 16:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2 owners before me, the first one worked for Longbridge. The A/C compressor seizing up is supposed to be common. The guy I work with who had one said the same thing.
SVM 286

2nd Feb 10 at 16:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh that's just great

So i've got changing two of those to look forward to then?
DaveyLC

2nd Feb 10 at 16:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Apparently so lol
SVM 286

2nd Feb 10 at 16:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any idea what sort of mileage they go at?
SVM 286

2nd Feb 10 at 16:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I really miss driving mine.

I only got 8 months use out of it.

Can't wait for next summer.
SVM 286

2nd Feb 10 at 16:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm gonna drive round with the windows open and the fucking air con OFF!
DaveyLC

2nd Feb 10 at 16:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They are supposed to go through lack of use.
SVM 286

2nd Feb 10 at 17:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

EVEN FUCKING GREATER!!!

Please disregard my last transmission!
SVM 286

2nd Feb 10 at 17:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mind you, both mine and my Dad's are stupid low mileage and we pretty much always had/have em switched on as it's a great way of eradicating condensation in cold weather.

Mine had fresh gas & oil and a fresh condenser the last time it was used anyway so should be in reasonable nick.
DaveyLC

3rd Feb 10 at 08:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I lost my Rover Un-reliability Virginity! Airbag light came on last night.. Just had a look this morning and one of the side air bag connectors has come apart under the seat... Nice simple one to ease me into ownership
Fro

3rd Feb 10 at 08:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lets hope it doesn't open the floodgates
DaveyLC

3rd Feb 10 at 08:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oooooo just got my quote from Longlife.. £389 all in for a cat back exhaust system.

That is soooooo getting done!
Chris x

3rd Feb 10 at 10:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I lost my Rover Un-reliability Virginity! Airbag light came on last night.. Just had a look this morning and one of the side air bag connectors has come apart under the seat... Nice simple one to ease me into ownership
My mate had the V6. His air bag and EML light were always poping up!

[Edited on 03-02-2010 by Chris x]
SVM 286

3rd Feb 10 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just think of it as the car winking at you.

<<  3    4    5    6    7    8  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Just bought a Rover.... 22 database queries in 0.0390501 seconds