corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » New router

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author New router
Jakey
Premium Member

User status: Offline
15th Jan 10 at 10:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got one of those free jobbies of TalkTalk when we signed up just for the use of my laptop and PC. Now theres 2 more laptops in the house i don't think it can really cope.

Any ideas?I know a lot of people rave about Netgear but i've got no idea which to look for.

Ta.
Tommy L

15th Jan 10 at 10:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How much do you want to spend?
Jakey
Premium Member

15th Jan 10 at 10:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£50? Maybe more for a decent one.
Jakey
Premium Member

15th Jan 10 at 14:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anybody?
Dom

15th Jan 10 at 14:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

linksys ADSL router perhaps? Can be picked up for £20-30 off ebay. Got a cable version running custom firmware and it's a solid little machine - also has a basic version of QoS (isn't true QoS but it works ok) which is useful when you need to prioritise protocols like VOIP over torrents/P2P etc.
Sam
Premium Member

15th Jan 10 at 14:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jakey - what make and model is your current router, and why do you think it can't cope multiple users?
Jakey
Premium Member

15th Jan 10 at 14:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure what make it is. It's just a free one talktalk send out.

Well when it was just me using the router through my laptop it run sweet. Then when we got 2 more laptops it kept dying and saying there's problems with the Domain Name Server and have to restart the laptops.
PhilC

15th Jan 10 at 15:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

3 laptops isn't very much...
Check something for me...

Download WiFi Inspector from Xirrus and run it. That will show you what other network in range of your are running on what channels.

http://www.xirrus.com/library/downloads/XirrusWiFiInspectorSetup1.0.1.exe

Pick the least busy one from 1 6 or 11. Chances are your access point is on channel 1, just like everyone elses.

Don't bother with the channels other than 1 6 or 11 because they overlap anyway!

[Edited on 15-01-2010 by PhilC]
Jakey
Premium Member

17th Jan 10 at 17:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

U2U'd
noshua

17th Jan 10 at 18:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by PhilC
3 laptops isn't very much...
Check something for me...

Download WiFi Inspector from Xirrus and run it. That will show you what other network in range of your are running on what channels.

http://www.xirrus.com/library/downloads/XirrusWiFiInspectorSetup1.0.1.exe

Pick the least busy one from 1 6 or 11. Chances are your access point is on channel 1, just like everyone elses.

Don't bother with the channels other than 1 6 or 11 because they overlap anyway!

[Edited on 15-01-2010 by PhilC]

Just want to say thanks for this - mine was running on 1, as well as every other network in my range, changed it to 6 and I'm getting less 'unable to load page's.
PhilC

17th Jan 10 at 22:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No worries mate!
PhilC

17th Jan 10 at 22:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jakey, got your u2u but will post reply in here incase it helps anyone else.

Your router is on channel 9, and there is another user (probably a neighbour) using the same channel. The problem with this is that it makes it very difficult for you to get away as channel 9 is right in the middle of 6 and 11 and actually interfers with both channels.

There is also two access points that your network can see that are using channel 1. Although your computer sees them at a very low strength, I'd recommend you went as ar away from those other networks as possble.

As long as all your computer equipement was puchased in the UK, you should be able to move your wireless router to channel 13 to avoid as much of their signals as posslble.

Just log into your routers setup page, make the change and save the settings.

You can use that tool again to make sure your network name appears on channel 13.
Jakey
Premium Member

18th Jan 10 at 17:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right, changed it to Channel 13. Will see how it holds out. Cheers mate.

New Poll