corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Equal Length driveshafts

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Equal Length driveshafts
Terry12

User status: Offline
24th Nov 09 at 20:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Forgive me for being tired.
The bottom of the wheel was tucked in and the top of the wheel was out. The shaft was the shorter N/S.
Even a chimp could spot there was a problem. It was spotted by my mate too so wasn't just me.

I had hoped to get away with it but there was no way it would handle well like that.
Nic Barnes

24th Nov 09 at 20:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok thanks for clearing that up. wonder why other people have never had that problem?

personally, id just whack them in. if everything tightens up, wonderful.
Terry12

24th Nov 09 at 20:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Other ppl have had the problem.
Before I did my conversion i read Alistairs guide, He cut his shaft down. I was hoping I wouldn't need to but alas I did.
Terry12

24th Nov 09 at 20:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes

personally, id just whack them in. if everything tightens up, wonderful.

I did this but found i had the problem. Trial and error is the way ahead as there are some grey areas on these conversions I have found. Some ppl have different problems to others. Shows the crap build quality of the Corsa

I wasn't answering to the OP on his equal length shafts, My Equal length fitted first time with no problems.
Nic Barnes

24th Nov 09 at 20:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive not come across a problem like yours before hence i found it strange. sorry if you think im being a twat. was just curious as to what the hell was going on.

i can only go by the several conversions ive helped with over the last few years. none of which had any shafts chopped. all just use, and still do the calibra ones.

thanks.
Terry12

24th Nov 09 at 20:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Didn't think you were coming accross as a twat. I know you are one though

Seriously though I have no idea as to why there are differences from build to build.

This was pinched from Alistair over on VS.

When I fitted mine I dropped the car on the ground before tightening the hub nuts and check the cv plunge. On the drivers side I had 5mm or so, but the passenger side was tight, so the driveshaft was removed and shortened. To do this I removed the worthless bevelled section from the end (7mm or so) and then machined a new groove 7mm further up (at the inner end of the splines) This makes fitting cv?s a little tricky, but how often do you change them?

Obviously mine was worse than his as it wasn't just CV plunge on mine. There was a visible problem with camber.
Maybe most people don't check for CV plunge hence no reported problems.
Nic Barnes

24th Nov 09 at 20:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had 15 mins to fit the shaft so no. i didnt check no plunge. its had no effect and its not like it gets an easy life so im assuming after 6 months or so that its fine.
Terry12

24th Nov 09 at 20:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As i've only had mine on the road 9 months or so I can't really say cutting it has had an adverse effect and you say no problems without cutting I guess it's just down to preference then.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll