corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Attention All Audio install people

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Attention All Audio install people
Neo

User status: Offline
16th Nov 09 at 13:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have been given a meeting room (metorphorically of course) to install a speaker system into.

Budget is not a problem at the moment, and awkwardly the SMT of the site are saying "Bose" a lot. Not a problem but in past experience have found bose kit to have either too much "fake" bass or somewhat tinny.

Obviously that could have been because of the settings etc, however personally would like to steer them away and towards something better.

The room is about 66sq metres, and an L shape. What would you install and why. Requirements are, must be able to connect everything and anything that you could imagine they may want to have connected during a meeting (laptops, dvd player, Microphones, Ipods, etc etc etc)

[Edited on 16-11-2009 by Neo]
pow
Premium Member

16th Nov 09 at 14:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bose speakers with a 24v, single panel amp
Cosmo

16th Nov 09 at 15:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is their a reason why something as good/expensive as Bose would be needed in a normal meeting room where some standard cheap speakers would probably work fine?
Neo

16th Nov 09 at 17:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
Is their a reason why something as good/expensive as Bose would be needed in a normal meeting room where some standard cheap speakers would probably work fine?

My thoughts exactly. They dont have a budget as such, and instead want to know what they could get. There again with no budget i could quite happily spec them a £XX,XXX system. But the reality is it'll probably be a £1k amp and 4 hidden speakers (In wall or ceiling).

Wondered what everyone else's take on it was and didnt really want to hear "bose"
Bart

16th Nov 09 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bose
Dom

16th Nov 09 at 18:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

KEF would be my choice, probably go for a number of in ceiling speakers to get coverage across the room. Use a multi channel PA amp (certainly wont be a £1k amp lol) and then feed the sources through a selector switch hiden on the podium or front desk.

However, you're wanting to use microphones, so you'll need some form of mic preamp (ie: mixing desk, external preamp before taking it to the amp). You'll also need to take into consideration the placement of the person talking and position of speakers (speakers have to be infront of mic) as you'll get feeback. So this could be an issue with using inceilings.
Also feedback killers are just compressors and just end up muting the output when feedback happens (they tend to be slow at detecting feedback anyways). You can also bodge it and reverse the polarity of certain speakers - would stop the feedback but would sound weird when playing audio.

Ideally you need to get the exact specifications and purpose of the room. What will the room be used for? Will there be visual/multimedia gear (projectors, LCD/Plasma, ability to play dvds/bds)? Does it need to be multichannel, stereo or mono? Is there a central boardroom styled desk that everyone sits around or is the room in a lecture room config (podium up front, rowed seating)? As this will reflect on what you need to purchase.
From there you need to have a plan of the room (Google SketchUp it), showing placement of desks/chairs, as this will allow you to select the best position for the speakers, wiring and gear.

At the moment it sounds like someone just said to you "yeah, we need audio in the conference room, be a good chap and sort it out". The room could be used for bloody anything

Edit -
It seems they are just going for Bose due to the name, they certainly aren't the best when it comes to PA systems (i'm not a fan of their consumer products either, reminds me of B&O) and just have a huge price tag.

[Edited on 16-11-2009 by Dom]
Neo

17th Nov 09 at 09:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks Dom

At present I have been told there will be a near soundproof partition in the room, so their will be a 44sqm room and a 22sqm room. This can then be opened up to the larger room.

The smaller room will need to contain speakers that can be adjusted (as only the larger room will have the equipment and will be used every meeting, however if a meeting is in the smaller room then they don't want to hear it).

Projectors in both half's, and it's going to be used for everything and anything, board meetings (so sat around tables), teaching lessons (so chairs, no tables facing a lecturn), fundraising gatherings (speaker walking around the room) etc. The smaller room will have a smartboard and an arrangement of desks all dependant on how many will be in the room, so its not going to be easy. It also needs an induction loop fitted which spans the whole room.

And i agree, they are only going for Bose because its a well known brand, but we all know there is much better out there for less or the same price.

New Poll