corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Our new(ish) house thread... Garden started on finally

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Our new(ish) house thread... Garden started on finally
Cavey

User status: Offline
   14th Oct 09 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seeing as Johnny has done his, and we're going through the same thing as him, I think it's time I posted my own New House thread.

Have gone with homebuy scheme, as mentioned in a few other threads, takes a long time, but was the only viable way to get on the housing ladder which we were determined to do at this time with the market being as it is, should prove a good investment, and maximise our monies with a bit of luck. Was £190k

For anyone around Derby, it's the new estate of off Broadway, near the uni, nice area, near Darley Abbey, primary school and play area on the estate, and pub about 5 min walk away! (and the missus works nearby)

It's a 3 bed, 3 storey, with study (box room) Nice size, and completely brand new, not even carpetted at the mo We managed to get the end house too, which was cheaper than the middle one.

Front of the house (with my girlfriends gran running in!)

Nice size garden

All information on the house, in this link http://www.millerhomes.co.uk/explore/eastmidlands/10270/housestyles/4818?pid=25912

[Edited on 20-10-2009 by Cavey]

[Edited on 02-02-2010 by Cavey]

[Edited on 14-04-2010 by Cavey]
Simon

14th Oct 09 at 18:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks very nice, I'd love a garden like that to just go crazy with
Cavey

14th Oct 09 at 18:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only real problem is that it slopes towards the far corner, but got a few ideas already

Because we got the end one it's got it's own gate as well, the other two share one and have smaller gardens
Nismo

14th Oct 09 at 18:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice! ace garden! is it the edge of Jurrasic park with that perimiter fence you got going on there!
Cavey

14th Oct 09 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

(there's the A38 down the hill about 30m on the other side of it...) not too much noise, and you can't hear it in the house at all.

Think that's why it was 9k cheaper than the middle one next door, which would only be marginally quieter

My step-dad was well chuffed with a massive fence to do "garden" stuff too.
Nismo

14th Oct 09 at 18:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Id mount a shed half way up the fence then build a staircase to it would be a shed come lookout tower
deano87

14th Oct 09 at 18:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you don't mind me asking, what is the financial stats on it? I.e. how much deposit? How much mortgage and rent etc?
Cavey

14th Oct 09 at 18:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nismo
Id mount a shed half way up the fence then build a staircase to it would be a shed come lookout tower

Haha that'd be awesome, like an adult tree house, without a tree...

£190k house value, we pay £133k (70% which is £10k deposit and £123k mortgage), the other 30% is 15% each from the developer (Miller) and the Government. Which we don't pay anything on for 5 years, after that is 1.75% (I believe) But we'll be looking to re-mortgage for the full house value and buy them out at that time, providing we're in a suitable position financially
deano87

14th Oct 09 at 19:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cavey
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo

Haha that'd be awesome, like an adult tree house, without a tree...

£190k house value, we pay £133k (70% which is £10k deposit and £123k mortgage), the other 30% is 15% each from the developer (Miller) and the Government. Which we don't pay anything on for 5 years, after that is 1.75% (I believe) But we'll be looking to re-mortgage for the full house value and buy them out at that time, providing we're in a suitable position financially

Doesn't sound too bad.
Cavey

14th Oct 09 at 19:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's the only way we could get something that we wanted tbh. We could of gone for a 2/3 bed terrace for £120k-ish, but wouldn't of enjoyed it really.

And we may end up paying a bit extra for it eventually, but in 5 years we'll be a fair bit better off financially, so will be able to pay the extra on mortgage/30% bit.

This house will be fine for 15-20 years for us, won't have to worry about moving, plenty of room with kids and the likes in the future for us.

(Also has a garage across from the house, can't quite see it in the first pic)
Pop

14th Oct 09 at 19:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That looks great. Have you started looking at furniture etc?
Cavey

14th Oct 09 at 19:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, had a 3 hour trek around Ikea for TV unit ideas.

We've got most things already, so don't need too much, got some nice sofas already.

Bedroom 2 is the main problem at the moment, it's the size of the living room, so we're gonna put our bed and drawers etc in there, it's older oak looking stuff, and get a kingsize for the main room, go a bit more modern looking in there.

http://www.dfs.co.uk/sofas/fabric/morgan/160/2953/0/all
Got one similar to that, in black and silver, and the matching sofabed in the living room.

Planning on TV unit with storage on the left-hand side wall in the living room, so everything will be on that side, will leave a fair bit of room behind the main sofa.

Bed 3 is my games room, got everything for that already (hopefully getting a bearded dragon for the corner of it...)

And main bed just needs new bed/tables etc...

It's all the little things you don't think about that's worrying me now! Light shades, lighting in general, blinds, curtains etc... always been renting before this, so never needed it!
Nath

14th Oct 09 at 19:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Very nice
VegasPhil
Premium Member

14th Oct 09 at 22:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Miller are great!

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Colin

14th Oct 09 at 22:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Damn you all moving in before me!! Ive been waiting since June & still have a few months to go!!

Looks nice. Good deal with the shared ownership as well, it sounds about the most (only) decent version ive heard of.

Not bad getting the full garden enclosed, Persimmon only give you a proper 6ft fence at the back, sides have a few foot high posts with a single board running along it!! So looks like i'll be errecting fences in Jan next year

[Edited on 14-10-2009 by Colin]
Cavey

14th Oct 09 at 22:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We won't be in till Dec, hopefully the start of it, apparenlty takes a couple of months for solicitors on this scheme, 3 people involved so lots of back and forth between them all the time
Colin

14th Oct 09 at 23:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2 months to do the paperwork!!

Jesus that would do my head in, I though you had the keys!!

Mines done outside now, insides is still open plan with no services. I'd happilly move in tomorrow & have them work around me!!

Our proposed date for getting the keys is 21st December - the day the site closes for 2 weeks over xmas/new year. If that doesnt happne then it will be 15th Jan. I know someone thats just moved in over the road from our plot & they were 6 weeks behind schedule & still have some snaggings to be completed!!

[Edited on 14-10-2009 by Colin]
JohnnyR

15th Oct 09 at 07:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks great that mate, good size garden! We should hopefully all be in around same time as each other then

Looking forward to the progress threads once were all in
_Allan_

15th Oct 09 at 07:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That doesn't sound two long. It took me 2-3 months of paper work and for them to finish the house off.

Nice house btw
dannymccann

15th Oct 09 at 11:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks great, epic size garden for a new property Derby isnt far from Lincoln really but the house prices are about £50k extra
Cavey

15th Oct 09 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, fingers crossed Johnny! Got most stuff planned already, like I said earlier, got a lot of furniture already from the current house, so in theory shouldn't be too much progress needed on ours! Just general decorating. Which i'm kinda thinking, if i've got the cash, i'll get my mate to do, he's had no job for ages, and needs the cash, so would save me doing manual stuff, and give him some spending money, everyone wins.

I jokingly said to the solicitor, as long as we're in by christmas.... she said, yeah i'll get you in by then, so hoping for a week or two before that, would be nice to settle in first.

Then probably wait for the sales to get a washer/dryer. Already has a big fridge freezer in the purchase.

And possibly a 32" for the bedroom, but that's hardly essential at the moment!
Cavey

20th Oct 09 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

From dining room looking into the kitchen, looks narrow and dark in the picture, but isn't bad in real life and me and the missus are both short anyway!, comes with big fridge/freezer. Has halogen downlights on the underside of the cupboards, tons of storage in there!

Looking from the hallway into the living room, nice double doors out into the garden

From the other side of the living room, quite difficult to judge the size from these pics

Main bathroom, has 2 doors, one to the hallway, and one to the 2nd bedroom, so if people stay over they can have an en suite (same shower as JohnnyR's i notice)

[img]

Bedroom 2, fucking huge

3rd room, will be my "games" room

Master bed en suite

Looking into the main room from the "dressing room" area (girlfriends gran again...)

Looking from the opposite side

Hopefully this won't take up too much space, if a lot of pics there!
JohnnyR

20th Oct 09 at 17:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks fantastic mate! Love the kitchen too! You looked into sorting carpets/flooring out at all yet?
Cavey

20th Oct 09 at 17:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We're going to the miller option centre on the 7th Nov so going to get a price from them, we'll hopefully go with the miller people as they'll know exactly what they're doing, and the precise layout, but that's providing it's a decent price, haven't looked elsewhere yet apart from a quote for £3,250 from Carpetright, who are reportedly expensive anyway. So looking for 2.5-3k from miller I think. I'm also planning on getting some speaker cables down before they do the carpets ready for getting a decent surround sound system in the living room, I hate wires lying around

Kitchen is really well laid out as well, just need a washer/dryer, which we'll be looking to wait for boxing day/new year sales for, and at a later date a dishwasher
Pop

20th Oct 09 at 18:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I ran out surround sound speakers before we had our carpet fitted. I know it sounds obvious/stupid but write a big note on A4 paper and lave it on the floor so that the carpet people don't cut through the wires! You never know if they aren't concentraiting.

[Edited on 20-10-2009 by Pop]

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll