corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » How do I demand a bigger driveway?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author How do I demand a bigger driveway?
Cavey

User status: Offline
28th Sep 09 at 10:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm a posty, and frequently slip on them bastard drives, only fallen once, I was dedicated to the cause and instead of throwing mail all over the place, I fell and smashed my elbow. Hurt like a bitch.

Hence me not liking those drives
random dav
Premium Member

28th Sep 09 at 12:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd speak to the groundworkers and see what they can do. Thats what people did on sites I have worked on.

WRLFC !

Project cars
N16K

28th Sep 09 at 19:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can't demand it (you purchased of plan, I guess it did not show a double drive) , but you should be able to pay extra before the drive is completed to have it enlarged, or do it yourself after the sale is completed and you move in, nothing can stop you from doing this unless the property is covered by a covenant.
Cosmo

28th Sep 09 at 20:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cavey
I'm a posty, and frequently slip on them bastard drives, only fallen once, I was dedicated to the cause and instead of throwing mail all over the place, I fell and smashed my elbow. Hurt like a bitch.

Hence me not liking those drives

You could sue the house owner for that btw.
Ste
Premium Member

29th Sep 09 at 00:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it because you get a tree?

I'd just get Jade to sneak in there one night when they are laying out the dimensions of your drive and make it bigger

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
forfarcorsa

9th Oct 09 at 17:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol if you lived near by i coulda priced it for you
Twiggy

10th Oct 09 at 15:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tarmac ya drive mate ???

corsa120

10th Oct 09 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if your buying a new build house good luck in a year or so once everything has settled, i know a handful of people who have had new build houses like you and few months down the line, the walls cracked, the door frames moved/cracked, the coving all cracked, the skirting moved away from the walls by 5-6mm in places.....

caused no end of aggro to few people i know and ended up having to redecorate and do loads of re-finishing work before they was satisfied but maybe some are different i dont no...

i renovated my house and even had problems with cracking coving etc and my walls have had 20 years to settle lol

know my mrs dads two door frames keep moving and its got to the point where they just leave it cracked now as it just comes back, cant even have a conversation in new house either the walls are now paper not cardboard
Colin

10th Oct 09 at 17:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'll get settlement in any new building. At the same time you can get cracks & other problems in something older. At least ive got the 10yr NHBC & can get them back to fix anything as many times as it takes to fix.
antnee

12th Oct 09 at 15:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you have pikeys in Scotland?
Cosmo

12th Oct 09 at 15:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by antnee

Its figuring out which are the pikeys and which are the normal Scots thats the problem.
mattk

12th Oct 09 at 18:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

them shiny drives look tacky as fuck, Im not a fan of them, as for asking the groundworkers to alter it they simply wont, in the building trade if you have a drawing you stick to it, really not worth the hassel to deviate from it
antnee

12th Oct 09 at 22:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
quote:
Originally posted by antnee

Its figuring out which are the pikeys and which are the normal Scots thats the problem.

mwg

13th Oct 09 at 09:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you have trouble with restrictions requiring the grass to be left you could try something like this http://www.netlon.co.uk/_turfsystems/prod-netpave50.htm

I'd rather see a tarmac drive than that though TBH
whitter45

13th Oct 09 at 11:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it will surely depend on deeds etc for the house

mark_gsi

13th Oct 09 at 13:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
Isnt that just coloured concrete made to look like slabs?

yeah all they do is place mats over and it puts down the markings.
Xs

14th Oct 09 at 08:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'll no be able to demand a bigger drive, yours is that way due to how it sits. At best you could offer to pay extra to have the groundworks subby do a bigger drive, however the contractor might not agree to this. Best bet is to go and speak to the site agent and see if you can come to an agreement with him.
Colin

15th Oct 09 at 16:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Went up & spoke to the sales woman today, told her I want space for 2 cars as every other detached house on the scheme has. She said she will ask the site agent (he was out) & see what were getting but thinks that they cant divert away from the plan.

I put it to her whats going to look better for potential buyers as the site progresses, us with a nice double driveway causing no concern, or us with a single driveway & me wheelspinning off the garden, throwing bits of ripped up lawn all over the estate.
Cosmo

15th Oct 09 at 19:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well put to her Colin
Colin

18th Oct 09 at 16:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Site agent ays it must be completed to plan however Im free to do what I want to make it bigger once weve been handed the keys!

Bit shit tbh but probably to be expected!!
Cosmo

18th Oct 09 at 16:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will they not give you a price for them to do it for you once the house has been completed?
Colin

18th Oct 09 at 16:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll see the folk that do the tarring when they come to do over the road. See how much they will want for cash. Wouldnt ask the builder directly they will only add 25% on top.
whitter45

19th Oct 09 at 08:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
I'll see the folk that do the tarring when they come to do over the road. See how much they will want for cash. Wouldnt ask the builder directly they will only add 25% on top.

I doubt they will do it as the plans will be submitted into the deeds

Cosmo

19th Oct 09 at 08:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did you not read his last few posts? The builder wont do it as it has to be completed as the plans are.

But after it is completed it can be done, be it by Colin becoming a pikey himself and doing it or by him asking the guys doing the rest of the place to throw some tarmac down for him.
Colin

19th Oct 09 at 08:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep

Thinking about writing a letter to the builder to complain. Theres 80odd houses in the estate & every single one gets a drive big enough for 2 cars or allocated parking (x2) except 3 houses, mine, next door & one on the corner which according to plan get a single one. Theres a new development going to be kicking off at the back of this one in a few years which is going to be their larger more expensive brand of houses. I would be a strong possible candidate for a move up in a couple years time if they 'do the right thing' this time around, else they can shove it, i'll go elsewhere.....plenty new builds available etc.

Worth a go??

[Edited on 19-10-2009 by Colin]

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll