corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Arden MK4 Astra Gsi - Update 17/8 PG27 Cambelt, coolant leak fixing.

New Poll
  <<  24    25    26    27    28  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Arden MK4 Astra Gsi - Update 17/8 PG27 Cambelt, coolant leak fixing.
sam-6

User status: Offline
9th Feb 13 at 18:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry to hear about the new mate! Such a lovely car to see you brake it! Hope you can get it fixed!
Adam C
Premium Member

9th Feb 13 at 20:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers mate, just gonna leave it for a while and make a decision when I'm in a position to do so.

My Arden Blue Astra GSi MK4 on BBS LM's Project Thread
sam-6

9th Feb 13 at 21:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea suppose it couldn't of come at a worse time for you! Good luck to you lad!
Adam C
Premium Member

7th Jul 13 at 17:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

UPDATE 7/7/13

Okay so haven't updated this in a while mainly because I haven't had anything to update, but now working a decent paid job again and back on track with things so decided to get back into the swing of things with the car.

Nothing major yet, just a few little things as I've had to fork out for a new fuel pump and a cambelt and waterpump change which is coming up but at least my boost issue seems to have fixed itself.

First off I've fitted the final peice to 'Opelise' the whole car, excluding the mudflaps which have Vauxhall badges but they're hardly noticeable anyway, managed to get this from Greece as a part of the airbag cover but the badge itself was easy enough to replace.

I noticed my headlights where beginning to peal a bit, wanted something to protect them and darken them a bit to go with the theme, so invested in some of that SPI vision stuff which I could not recommend enough, great stuff.

Fancied something a bit different in the engine bay as was growing bored of the blue, so noticed a few people using wrinkle effect paint on their engine parts on here so thought I'd give it a go, also changed the bolts to blue anodized items.

Also decided whilst the weather was good to refurb the dishes as they had a few chips, came out really well considering I only used rattle cans, still need to do something with the studs but they'll do for the time being.

And just a few crappy iphone pictures.

And some arty shots

That's all for now.

[Edited on 07-07-2013 by Adam C]

M Sutton

8th Jul 13 at 08:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks good! liking the engine details
Mark.W

8th Jul 13 at 08:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Still looking absolutely super Adam
Adam C
Premium Member

8th Jul 13 at 10:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks guys, much appreciated!

LukesCorsaSXi

8th Jul 13 at 11:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bloody lovely car. Look the blue lip!
NathanR

8th Jul 13 at 18:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I love this GSi!!! Looking bloody fantastic Adam!! You need to come up to a Plymouth meet soon so we can have a chat and have a look round each other cars etc. be nice to meet you !
N7 THD

8th Jul 13 at 18:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks smart that!
ShEp

8th Jul 13 at 22:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Like it

Miss mine
Adam C
Premium Member

9th Jul 13 at 01:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the comments lads

Yours was lovely Shep, looked so good on the Masitaly wheels, do you know if it's still about?

Do plan on going to a Plymouth meet soon Nath, last time I went to one I got pulled 2 miles away by the police, had to remove my tints and got a £30 fine for the exhaust with a warning that next time I wouldn't be so lucky lol, may just have to be extra vigilant next time.

ShEp

11th Jul 13 at 07:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I split the mods before i got rid.

Car was in Yorkshire last I knew, and the wheels are on a Cavalier turbo somewhere.

Might get another
Adam C
Premium Member

17th Aug 13 at 17:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

UPDATE 17/8/13

Well things haven't gone exactly to plan this month. I've had a coolant leak since I bought the car back in 2009, but I've never been able to trace it so left it go.
Now using the car for work and doing a lot more miles, and being that the car is now 10 years old its beginning to show.

First of all had the coolant feed to the turbo go pop.

Now replaced with a new pipe from Autovaux for £65.

Cambelt was due for renewal, garage wanted around £500 to do it which was a joke, then when I went in to ask why it was so pricey they then flat out refused to do it, so I did it myself.
Changed the belt, rollers, tensioner and waterpump, piece of piss.

After all that I still have a coolant leak, and upon investigation I found the head tank to be cracked where the pipes fit onto, so replaced that.

I've chucked some radweld plus in to hopefully aid me in stopping the leak, need to replace the header tank hoses next as they're tx autosport items which seem to just leak for the hell of it.

Also had a squeek coming from the suspension so pressumed it was the droplinks, replaced them with the same £15 metal ones from ebay which turned out to not be the problem, it's my exhaust squeeking instead from a small blow which I'll fix soon.

Whilst I was at it I gave the calipers and disc centres a lick of paint just to tidy things up.

Managed to take the front bumper off coming up my drive so raised the suspension so the car sat evenly, I think it looks better and no more scraping which is a bonus.

Next job is to replace the AFM and buy a plug extension from Courtenay as I'm having the EML come on from time to time with the error code for the AFM.
Then a plug and oil change and new rear discs and pads.

I think I'll finally be getting around to remapping as well, a place called Celtic Tuning is next to my work and I got a quote for £250 for a one off custom map, not sure if the company is any good or not as I haven't heard that much about them online.

M Sutton

17th Aug 13 at 18:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's mint! Good job on doing the work yourself
Adam C
Premium Member

17th Aug 13 at 19:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks mate, learn from doing and all that.

Pridzz

17th Aug 13 at 21:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Where did you get you plug cover, anodised bolts, expansion tank cap and tophat from?

[Edited on 17-08-2013 by Pridzz]
*CorsaCal*

17th Aug 13 at 22:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well done taking on all the problems on your own mate! This is one beautiful astra.
Adam C
Premium Member

17th Aug 13 at 23:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Plug cover is just a VXR one with one of the stickers over the R which you can get off Ebay, anodised bolts came from pro bolt/tasty nuts, caps just painted and the tophat is a courtenay one.

Thanks Cal.

Liam-Wilko

12th Dec 13 at 15:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice car mate just been having a quick scan over the thread while I was at work will have a read from start to finish when I get home.

Any advice for someone looking into buying a MK4 astra GSI mate .
ShEp

12th Dec 13 at 22:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Liam-Wilko
Nice car mate just been having a quick scan over the thread while I was at work will have a read from start to finish when I get home.

Any advice for someone looking into buying a MK4 astra GSI mate .

Smokey turbo's are the obvious ones, hiccup on idle, laquer peel, rear arches, check its boosting okay.
Adam C
Premium Member

13th Dec 13 at 01:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pretty much what Shep said, faulty sensors seems to be a common issue, relatively cheap to replace it's just diagnosing them which can be a pain, but there's enough info on the net and in here to give you some ideas on how to fix them.

The rest are pretty much age related issues, mines just passed 80k and hit 10 years old and she's still holding up well, just replaced the majority of sensors such as the boost control solonoids, map sensor and air flow meter just to make sure I'm good in that department.

I think they're great cars, and after 4 years of ownership I'm still enjoying it.
I know a lot of people will tell you that Clio 172/182's and Civic Type R's are a better choice, but I chose mine because of the looks and the tuning potential, a decent suspension upgrade is a must have as they handle crap in standard form.

Might aswell throw this in here as it's not really a proper update.

Rear brakes had seen better days, so replaced them with some Mintex discs and pads

Yep, not much left...

New items fitted, calipers and disc centre's also repainted in black, if you're changing the rear brakes on one of these the caliper rewind tool is a must.

Front end then got lifted for a service, just an oil, filter and plug change here, sticking with NGK Iridiums from Courtenay.

Exhaust also got some attention, new clamps and tons of paste.

Had some embroidery style decals made up for the seats as the standard Recaro embossed logos where a bit hard to see.

That's it for now, not much of an update I know but hopefully a bit more in the new year.

Liam-Wilko

13th Dec 13 at 09:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for the advice I profer these of the Type R and I will never own another french car had nothing but problems with them in the past

When checking if its boosting properly what would you say I should do as in what rev range does the turbo kick in
Adam C
Premium Member

13th Dec 13 at 12:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think they all boost a little differently, mine for example over boosts to about 9 psi at 2000 revs, settles at 7 psi all the way up to about 6k when it sits at about 5psi then drops off, that's with a standard map with just bolt on mods.

You can normally feel if it's holding back or not boosting properly, otherwise a boost gauge will tell you what you need to know.

Liam-Wilko

13th Dec 13 at 13:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks mate im on the hunt for a decent one like but not looking to buy one till about April time the prices vary so badly from £2000 to about £5000 and some of the higher priced ones are dogs

<<  24    25    26    27    28  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Arden MK4 Astra Gsi - Update 17/8 PG27 Cambelt, coolant leak fixing. 24 database queries in 0.1989601 seconds