corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Anyone here ever modified the offset of their wheels?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Anyone here ever modified the offset of their wheels?
Tony

User status: Offline
23rd Feb 03 at 20:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hey guys.

I have heard of places that modify the offset of an alloy wheel. Such as taking a few mm of the wheel to modify the offset from an ET40 to ET45. Is it true and is it safe? I mean the alloys is what's keeping you on the ground. Some alloys just are'nt available in an offset bigger than ET40. (Well, the alloys I want anyway!) Anyone got experience with this?

Tony
Cybermonkey

23rd Feb 03 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its a bit hit and miss really. Different alloys act differently to this. Depending on the alloy quality etc.

Dave
Tony

23rd Feb 03 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I heard the principle used is the same as when they take the cylinder head of your car and have it skimmed at an engineering works. The same bench is used. Apparantly the wheel get clasped on the bench and they skim some mm's off the hub section of the rim.

Tony
RickV6

23rd Feb 03 at 21:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Takin 5mm of the mounting face is a lot the wheels are designed to be strong but this may compromise the strength specially under hard drivin, would you want one to explode whilst cornering at speed?
bert1400

24th Feb 03 at 21:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I asked rochford tyres about this on wolfrace icons, but the metal is too thin to safely allow this. If there's enough metal then the wheel can be milled down to a higher offset.
Kris TD

24th Feb 03 at 21:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont do it, its dangerous, not worth the risk.

New Poll