corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Are They Cutting Corners???

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Are They Cutting Corners???
mtcmedia

User status: Offline
15th Feb 03 at 20:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi Guys,

Gettin a lot done to me car next week, and I had a budget when I got my quotes... but am I gonna end up with a car that doesnt go properly? I havea few concerns, as Im about to spend a lot of money, and to be honist I dont know THAT much about cars - enough, but not LOADS...

I have a brand new Corsa SXI by the way...

Ok, first of all the guy said I should get a full suspension kit... so that is springs + dampers? WHich was around £200..... he said to meet the budget, all I really need are springs.... the car will be lowered 40mm on these springs and on 17" wheels.... so will that cause me problems??

Second, he said I could get a full Sebring 6x exhaust system for £170. Then he said, I should just go for the backbox. Will this still sound as good, and will it fit the car ok?

Finally, my alloys come with Federal tyres... are they totally shit?

Ok, thanks to all you experts out there for any help you can give me!

<DELIBERATE PLUG> Oh yeah, and if anyone needs web hosting or a web site designed, please visit www.mtcmedia.co.uk </DELIBERATE PLUG>

[Edited on 15-02-2003 by mtcmedia]
miles

15th Feb 03 at 20:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Never heard of those tyres. No probs with just a backbox just wont gain as much power from it. If its for your car it should fit fine. If not take it back!?

Full suspension kit is springs and dampers. Springs will lower the car but not greatly improve handling as they are not matched to your shocks. Running on standard shocks with lowering springs will wear your shocks out quicker as well.

As long as the offset and tyre sizes are ok then they should fit ok. I think there is help sections on here that will help you.

What is the company?
mtcmedia

15th Feb 03 at 20:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its a company up in Scotland, VR Bodystyling... they are kind of new, but are doin a lot of good stuff in my area...

So, money wise, should I go for the full exhaust system, or the full suspension kit... or are neither really essential?
miles

15th Feb 03 at 20:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Neither are really essential. Just better if you want that little extra.

You can always buy the shocks later, and if you just want the exhaust for looks and sound there is not point in a full system.
mtcmedia

15th Feb 03 at 20:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right ok... I think Ill just get the backbox for now, i can always change that later right?

And the same goes for the springs?
mtcmedia

15th Feb 03 at 20:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh yeah, and how do you know when you say ". Springs will lower the car but not greatly improve handling as they are not matched to your shocks"

And that my shocks will wear, what could that cause, will I notice symptoms? I dont want the car to just fall to the ground one day!! I can just get springs for now, and then maybe later get the full kit?
miles

15th Feb 03 at 21:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You might not be able to buy the rest of the exhaust system, I think the back boxes to fit standard systems are different to the back boxes to fit full systems, fitment wise.

You can fit different shocks if you just buy the spings anytime.

Your standard shocks are designed to work with your standard shocks and standard ride height. So using lower, stiffer springs with the same shocks wont work as well because the shocks aren't matched to them. The shocks will wear quicker because they are always compressed a little more because of the shorter springs.
When they wear out they will just become 'softer' and will bounce your car around more. If you just get the springs once the shocks have worn out (which probably wont be for years on a corsa C!) then you can buy new standard ones (cheap) or the other ones that would have been in your full kit.

New Poll