corsasport.co.uk
 

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Fitting a steering wheel boss kit?


New Topic

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.


Author Fitting a steering wheel boss kit?
Mark.W
Member

Registered: 3rd Jan 07
Location: County Durham
User status: Offline
12th Apr 09 at 19:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could someone tell me how you wire up this boss kit so the horn & the indicator cancellation works as it should.

I'm just puzzled by it as it only has one one wire coming out the middle for the indicator bit but there is no wire on the boss to connect the horn







[Edited on 12-04-2009 by wooly101uk]
Ste
Premium Member

Avatar

Registered: 5th Mar 03
Location: Widnes, Cheshire
User status: Offline
12th Apr 09 at 20:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The one wire is probably a switched earth. get your multimeter on it and see if it makes a contact between the 'chassis' of the boss and that wire. I have an omp boss on my kitcar and the horn is deciding to stick lately.


I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
Mark.W
Member

Registered: 3rd Jan 07
Location: County Durham
User status: Offline
12th Apr 09 at 22:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ste W
The one wire is probably a switched earth. get your multimeter on it and see if it makes a contact between the 'chassis' of the boss and that wire. I have an omp boss on my kitcar and the horn is deciding to stick lately.


i don't have a multimeter mate
Mark.W
Member

Registered: 3rd Jan 07
Location: County Durham
User status: Offline
13th Apr 09 at 09:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can anyone else help?
evans_corsab
Member

Registered: 23rd Sep 08
Location: Cheshire.
User status: Offline
13th Apr 09 at 11:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i remember you asking me about this , mines omp and doesnt look like yours :\ , indicator cancelation should be on the steering coloum not the boss , but the horn is a puzzle ! did you get a horn push with the boss kit ? because my horn push has 2 terminals on the back so the red wire the horn one goes onto it and a green earth goes to that silver ring as seen in your picture and has a tab on it . just thinking you have to run your normal horn wire through the boss and onto the horn push so is that wire on the boss now an earth

[Edited on 13-04-2009 by evans_corsab]
Mark.W
Member

Registered: 3rd Jan 07
Location: County Durham
User status: Offline
13th Apr 09 at 13:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by evans_corsab
i remember you asking me about this , mines omp and doesnt look like yours :\ , indicator cancelation should be on the steering coloum not the boss , but the horn is a puzzle ! did you get a horn push with the boss kit ? because my horn push has 2 terminals on the back so the red wire the horn one goes onto it and a green earth goes to that silver ring as seen in your picture and has a tab on it . just thinking you have to run your normal horn wire through the boss and onto the horn push so is that wire on the boss now an earth

[Edited on 13-04-2009 by evans_corsab]


i ended up sending this boss kit back mate but iv seen ones on ebay with only 1 wire as well so im guessing they all have the one wire

but that silver ring that in the picture had no tabs on it to connect the horn

and i did not get a push button horn with the boss either but i did get one with the momo steering wheel i bought but it only has the one tab on the back unlike some that have the 2 on.

its really pissing me off this steering wheel malarkey because i sick of the huge 2 spoke bus steering wheel that's on

evans_corsab
Member

Registered: 23rd Sep 08
Location: Cheshire.
User status: Offline
13th Apr 09 at 13:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just try it with the one wire bud , the worst than can happen is the horn does or doesnt work , im pretty shure it should work , if the horn push only has one tab myabe it earths on that or doesnt earth at all just try it
john_c20xe
Member

Registered: 10th Feb 08
Location: Eastbourne, EastSussex
User status: Offline
13th Apr 09 at 14:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the one wire should be for the horn, plugs into the horn and then the horn just earths out on the boss,, beep beep
Mark.W
Member

Registered: 3rd Jan 07
Location: County Durham
User status: Offline
13th Apr 09 at 15:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by john_c20xe
the one wire should be for the horn, plugs into the horn and then the horn just earths out on the boss,, beep beep


what about the other wire for the indicators? where does that go?
Mark.W
Member

Registered: 3rd Jan 07
Location: County Durham
User status: Offline
13th Apr 09 at 15:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

on my original steering wheel there is 2 wires 1 for the horn and one for the indicator cancellation bit.

the horn wire slides onto the horn button center of the steering wheel and the other side of the wire slots into a brass clip built into the steering wheel.

and the other wire is connected onto the back of the horn button like the horn wire and then the other side of the wire goes through the bottom of the steering wheel onto a round plastic bit that clips onto bottom underside of the steering wheel meaning that the 1 wire that comes through the boss like in the picture will be for the indicator cancellation bit.

and now here is where i cannot figure out where will the other side of the horn wire connect to after connecting one side to the horn button.like on the original steering wheel there is a brass clip it slides into but there is no where for to connect onto the boss.


sorry for the essay but im trying to explain it the best i can.
scaron5188
Organiser: South West
Premium Member


Registered: 17th Apr 08
Location: Chippenham, Drives: arden 2.0 sport
User status: Offline
13th Apr 09 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the metal bit that sticks out of the bottom of the boss cancels the indicators when turning the steering wheel. and the wire is for the horn, but, if your car has an airbag, and the boss is a non airbag type then it wont work with the wire on the boss. i had to wire the horn to the boss with longer wire so it went round when turning, i now...bit of a bodge...but it works lol
Mark.W
Member

Registered: 3rd Jan 07
Location: County Durham
User status: Offline
13th Apr 09 at 19:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by scaron5188
the metal bit that sticks out of the bottom of the boss cancels the indicators when turning the steering wheel. and the wire is for the horn, but, if your car has an airbag, and the boss is a non airbag type then it wont work with the wire on the boss. i had to wire the horn to the boss with longer wire so it went round when turning, i now...bit of a bodge...but it works lol



i don't have an airbag on mine mate so it should be fine.

so do i only need to use one of the wires for the horn as there is a red & blue one there?




do i need a boss with the little tab that's on this chrome ring like in this pic for everything to work as it should?



[Edited on 13-04-2009 by wooly101uk]
Mark.W
Member

Registered: 3rd Jan 07
Location: County Durham
User status: Offline
13th Apr 09 at 21:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bump
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member


Avatar

Registered: 20th May 06
Location: nr. Skipton, North Yorkshire
User status: Offline
13th Apr 09 at 21:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That boss is the same as mine mate. The single wire is the live and it's earthed by the silver ring on the left on the bottom pic. The wire is attached to the brass (I think) ring on the back of the boss, when you put the boss in place there's a little spring loaded pin if you like which will hit the brass ring. You need to find the horn wiring and connect the live upto the spring loaded pin, put a bit of solder on it. When you're putting the horn button in place you have 2 connections, connect the wire to one then ideally you need another small piece of wire with female spade connectors on each end and connect the other connection to the little tab on the silver ring I mentioned earlier.

One slight problem I've had with mine tho, well I say slight, my horn's stopped working It seems like the brass ring has worn down. It stopped working in stages, first I notice it wouldn't work when the wheel was between about 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock and the it just seemed to get worse and now it won't work at all.I'm gonna try running some solder over the brass ring and hope that sorts it out. Might be an idea to try that before you fit it to make it a bit easier if it does go wrong in future
Mark.W
Member

Registered: 3rd Jan 07
Location: County Durham
User status: Offline
13th Apr 09 at 22:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mike B
That boss is the same as mine mate. The single wire is the live and it's earthed by the silver ring on the left on the bottom pic. The wire is attached to the brass (I think) ring on the back of the boss, when you put the boss in place there's a little spring loaded pin if you like which will hit the brass ring. You need to find the horn wiring and connect the live upto the spring loaded pin, put a bit of solder on it. When you're putting the horn button in place you have 2 connections, connect the wire to one then ideally you need another small piece of wire with female spade connectors on each end and connect the other connection to the little tab on the silver ring I mentioned earlier.

One slight problem I've had with mine tho, well I say slight, my horn's stopped working It seems like the brass ring has worn down. It stopped working in stages, first I notice it wouldn't work when the wheel was between about 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock and the it just seemed to get worse and now it won't work at all.I'm gonna try running some solder over the brass ring and hope that sorts it out. Might be an idea to try that before you fit it to make it a bit easier if it does go wrong in future


what make is yours mike?

that one in the 1st pic at the top was an OMP one which i sent back because the silver metal ring did not have a small tab on it like in the picture below which is a momo boss kit which i might buy if someone confirms to me that's the boss i need. .
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member


Avatar

Registered: 20th May 06
Location: nr. Skipton, North Yorkshire
User status: Offline
13th Apr 09 at 23:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine's the Momo
Mark.W
Member

Registered: 3rd Jan 07
Location: County Durham
User status: Offline
14th Apr 09 at 19:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can anyone else confirm that the picture 2 i uploaded is the boss i need (momo) ?
Mark.W
Member

Registered: 3rd Jan 07
Location: County Durham
User status: Offline
15th Apr 09 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote


 
New Topic

New Poll

  Related Threads Author Forum Replies Views Last Post
Steering Wheel question!!! Rocky Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice 10 409
18th Mar 05 at 18:12
by carnoisseurcraig
 
vauxhall steering wheel boss kit... bass_direct Parts Offered 0 288
13th Oct 05 at 20:15
by bass_direct
 
Aftermarket Steering Wheel - Washer/Spacer EarlofBarnet Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice 4 440
12th Dec 07 at 13:21
by EarlofBarnet
 
fitting race (momo) wheel and boss kit - STICKS OUT TOO FAR - Help?!?! Doldy Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice 4 422
21st May 08 at 17:19
by adam_t
 
New Steinmetz front splitter, Momo steering wheel, Richbrook gear knob and snap off boss kit CHEAP James_H Parts Offered 5 532
14th Mar 09 at 15:26
by Ant B
 

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Fitting a steering wheel boss kit? 28 database queries in 0.0231750 seconds