corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Problems at low revs [Updated Problems!] HELP!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Problems at low revs [Updated Problems!] HELP!
jeff8png

User status: Offline
1st Apr 09 at 11:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My Corsa B has been cutting out when at low revs [ie. approaching traffic lights, coming up to roundabouts] which has left me pretty unpopular in a couple of situations! It usually takes about 15 minutes to start up again [after repeatedly trying and firing but engine not starting].
There has been a crack in my petrol tank for a while now which leads me to believe rust and dirt are being sucked through the fuel line and causing a blockage. Does this sound likely?
I took the car into a garage this morning and told him the above and he says the Corsa fuel tank is made of plastic [which is wrong isn't it?!] and that it is probably the air control valve. I also discussed the possibility of it being a broken air flow meter [which is a problem I had 2/3 years ago and had a brand new one fitted for about £250].
What is the difference between the air control valve and the air flow meter?

Can anyone offer any help or guidance on this? I can't afford to get robbed by a money hungry garage.

Thanks.

[Edited on 05-04-2009 by jeff8png]
Sean-B

1st Apr 09 at 11:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its clearly your cracked fuel tank get it replaced, and replace the fuel pump and filter
DaveyLC

1st Apr 09 at 11:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tank is metal.

Does it only have problems starting when the engine is hot? i.e. ever had any problems starting in the mornings? If so could be coolant temp. sensor.
jeff8png

1st Apr 09 at 11:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's usually after the car has been driven but has also occurred first thing in the morning.
RobHayes

1st Apr 09 at 11:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had a similar problem with my old corsa. turned out to be the crank sensor (wiring broke down when it got hot)
jeff8png

1st Apr 09 at 12:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Where would be best to buy a tank, pump and filter? eBay? Or local scrappies? Or are there any websites/companies anyone can recommend for Vauxhall parts?
jeff8png

5th Apr 09 at 11:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right. I got the Corsa back from the garage after an MOT and checking for the source of the problem. They fitted a new fuel tank, flushed the fuel line, cleaned the filter and carburetta.
It got home that day fine and started up the next morning OK but then after driving into and around town [4/5 miles] I parked up and left it for 20 minutes. I went back to drive it home and it wouldn't start. It kept firing but wouldn't start. I walked to the garage and told them about it and they said it started fine every time for them. If I could get it started again I could take it in and they'd have another look at it.
So I walked back to the car and HEY PRESTO, it started first time.
I left it at the garage and went in the next morning and as before they told me it had started first time every time they tried!
I then drove to Texaco to put some fuel in. I got back into the car after paying and once again, it wouldn't start. After leaving it for 10 minutes I tried again and it started up.
Moved it to a car park and went to work. After work it started fine but then as I went to pick my girlfriend up I pulled in to park and the fucker cut out again!
After repeatedly trying it and leaving it for an hour I decided to call my girlfriend's dad and get him to bring his AA card down so we could call them and get the Corsa towed home. Just before I called I tried the engine one more time and surprise surprise, it started up.
It's now outside the house and I dare not drive it.

Sorry for the essay but I just wanted to cover all ground. Has anything like this happened to anyone before?
As I said before I thought it was dirt in the fuel line but I'm starting to think the cause is something that is overheating. Does this sound more like the Coolant temp. sensor as mentioned above?

Any help is much appreciated!!!

My plan now is to drive to the garage tomorrow AM and drive it around the block for 10 minutes for it to heat up and then take it back to the garage in the hope that it doesn't start for them so they can figure out what the shit is going on!

If you've made it this far then thank you for your time.
Will94

6th Apr 09 at 22:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are you getting the EML come on at any point? if so its worth doing a paperclip test too see what fault codes its picked up on. Should point you towards your problem.

If it isnt coming on, then its a case of trial and error as this problem could be caused by a number of sensors playing up
Richie B

6th Apr 09 at 23:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by RobHayes
i had a similar problem with my old corsa. turned out to be the crank sensor (wiring broke down when it got hot)

I had a similar problem with the crank sensor too

New Poll