corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Bizarre acceleration problem

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Bizarre acceleration problem
pj.b

User status: Offline
31st Mar 09 at 09:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok had this problem since I had the car, 10,000 miles ago.

The problem is sometimes when accelerating, it seems very 'flat' and doesn't seem to have the feeling of any power, although it revs fine. It happens when I either just gun it straight away from a stand still or knock it down from 5th to 3rd to overtake for example. If I'm already in 3rd running at say 2500 revs and floor it, it pulls hard through all the gears with no problems. It's almost as if I have to feather the throttle and give it some speed before I give it full throttle, if that makes ense

Not sure if it matters but when the car is cold this is not a problem, it pulls like a bloody train regardless of hitting the throttle straight away, no 'feathering' required. I know all about cold air and stuff but not sure if the car should be this much seriously quicker when starting from cold?

Just to add another twist, it goes worse at night, in the cold, humid night air

Running standard airbox with cold air feed, have tried it with a viper but still the same.

I have a road rally (night event) soon and really need this sorted.

There arn't any fault codes being thrown up but could it be a sensor or two doing this? Oh, have blanked the EGR, removed the CAT, thrown in some piper cams, although the overrall power has of course increased, this problem still exsists

Any you guys got some help for a confused fool? (please)

Cheers

pj.b

2nd Apr 09 at 12:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So nobody has any ideas whatsoever?
Richardhhha

2nd Apr 09 at 12:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had a sort of similar problem.

my 14xe was being a git, one minuit it would drive and pull fine then the next it would bog down like something was holding the engine back and it felt like it had no power..

recently changed the MAP sensor on it and the thing was fine after that so possable problem there.

got mine form a scrappers which was ncie and cheep about £2
Craigy_Boi

2nd Apr 09 at 13:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i drive a corsa sxi 1.2 99 and i had the same problem and yes i did get worse at night :s but i since i dont have a map sensor it was my air mass meter but not the unit itself i had one of the connections inside the plug pushed in somehow :S but fixed it and it seems to be okay.
Sean-B

2nd Apr 09 at 13:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you say it revs like normal, but there is no power,
i can only think your clutch is slipping if thats the case
pj.b

2nd Apr 09 at 15:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well I have just tested the MAP sensor using a multimeter and it appears to be working correctly (the output voltage is changing with the vacuum as required)

I have a air intake temperature sensor coming tomorrow so will also try that (similar kind of principle to your MAF)

And no the clutch isn't slipping, it 'revs out' fine I should have said but just seems very 'flat' when doing so.

Thanks for the input guys.

[Edited on 02-04-2009 by pj.b]
pj.b

7th Apr 09 at 16:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok so it's not the air intake temp sensor either

The car also doesn't seem to like high flow air filters either, it seems to gurgle and piss around at low revs before 'clearing out' and revving, have gone back to a standard panel filter and this has gone, but the original problem remains...

Could it possibly be the ECU arsing around? It's almost as if it forgets the air/fuel mixture it needs to give the engine. Have reset it loads of times but no use. I guess I'll have to put a new MAP sensor on as a matter of course but in the meantime...

First person to solve this gets a paypal donation of £20!

So get your thinking caps on, ask your mates, your boss, your wife or your dog, just get me a solution and I'll chuck you £20 instantly.

Cheers!
steven_r2008

7th Apr 09 at 17:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had a similar problem on one of my old corsas, however mine was when i hit a gradient that needed me to throttle it a bit, the problem with mine was the MAF sensor. however my mate had a fezzy and when he went to gun it the revs went up and his car slowly picked up but you could hear the revs go up faster than the car was accellerating, his problem was that his cluth was on its way out, dont know if this helps at all mate
pj.b

7th Apr 09 at 17:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No it's not the clutch, I wish it was! Also mine doesn't have a MAF sensor, but a air Intake sensor which I have just replaced.

Thanks for the input though fella
AlexW

8th Apr 09 at 12:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im going to agree with the ECU thery. Altho theres many things it could be. I am inclind to say map sensor as i had similar problems with mine with it diconnected (altho it would stall after a few mins on idle)

I need to try my spare ECU in my car, if it works im willing to let you borrow it and see of it helps.

New Poll