corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Are Mac's worth the extra money??

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Are Mac's worth the extra money??
Matt H

User status: Offline
15th Mar 09 at 17:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking at a new laptop, have been for ages. Mine is fooked!

I figure a decentish laptop will be about £500ish

2gb ram, big hard drive, etc etc

Or, today I've seen a Macbook (the black one) for £700
It's supposedly better than the white one, better processer & graphics.

£200 more, but is it worth it? What am I getting for the extra money?
Joe

15th Mar 09 at 17:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In my opinion yes its worth the extra.

I have an iMac, I know I could have got a similar spec PC for a couple of hundred less. But its just so good to use, looks awesome. Just a generally good piece of kit.

I don't think I'd ever get a PC again now to be honest, I've been really happy with mine.
jacko198

15th Mar 09 at 18:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

IMO yes. I have had countless pc's and laptops. Got a macbook with my course last year, and i have got to say, im not looking back!

I think im going to buying mac from now on to be totaly honest. Everything just works, and extremely fast
Matt H

15th Mar 09 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What exactly is better though?

Other option is get a desktop Mac, but I think a Macbook might be a bit more practical
ed

15th Mar 09 at 18:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They're fine if you're doing general web browsing and word processing. This who 'it just works' stuff is a load of bollocks when you get to doing real things like large image editing and video editing. They do fuck up and crash like any other PC.

There's nothing magic inside them either, they use the same parts as any other x86 PC does now.

Saying that, they are nice to use and they are a great piece of industrial design
dannymccann

15th Mar 09 at 20:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not very good for playing games on I am led to believe, but then really, what laptop is? If I had the money to spare I would probably try one but I wouldnt swap my XP/Vista desktop for anything from Apple
Balling
Premium Member

15th Mar 09 at 20:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Black MacBook is an old model and not beeing made anymore. I would recommend buying an aluminium unibody MacBook. Much more value for money and newer hardware.

"Not very good for playing games on"
Lies, tbh!

"There's nothing magic inside them either"
There is, actually. Unix operating system, OS X. Beats the crap out of Windows in terms of performance, usability and reliability.

Andrew

15th Mar 09 at 20:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mac's are now becoming affordable in camparionship with a Windows PC.

They are not as subject-able to viruses and crash rarely. However, as they become more popular, geeks will write viruses for them. You can run MS Office on there and MSN just like you can on a Windows machine. There is also the option to run Boot Camp and install Windows XP or Vista on there too.

I have a Mac Book which i rarely use as i'm a snob and will defend Windows all day long The Mac is currently more reliable but as it comes more and more popular, it will soon become as unstable as Windows.

The new Mac Books do look nice and the Pro Mac Books are really thin.

The reason i like my MacBook is the battery will last 4 hours when sitting there watching TV and browsing the internet and the fact it looks pretty.
ed

15th Mar 09 at 21:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
Black MacBook is an old model and not beeing made anymore. I would recommend buying an aluminium unibody MacBook. Much more value for money and newer hardware.

"Not very good for playing games on"
Lies, tbh!

"There's nothing magic inside them either"
There is, actually. Unix operating system, OS X. Beats the crap out of Windows in terms of performance, usability and reliability.
There's not much Unix left in OSX these days, and the software isn't really what's inside them. The comment was in relation to the hardware.
jamied

15th Mar 09 at 21:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my dad has the 24" imac, its ok for internet and itunes etc but apart from that I cant see anything special
Matt H

16th Mar 09 at 00:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ahh balls to it I've bought a normal lappa now

It's only for music & internetz anyway
jacko198

16th Mar 09 at 01:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it was for music and internet, the mac would have been ideal! I love the remote control with mine, so i can watch dvd's and scroll through music off itunes etc lying on my bed with it on my desk

quote:
Originally posted by Balling

Missed out on one major thing about the newer models - No firewire. Which is a serious drawback.
Apple realized the huge price difference between the top spec macbook, and the macbook pro, and noticed people wernt seeing the point of the macbook pro. So they bloody took firewire off it, to get more macbook pro sales!
dannymccann

16th Mar 09 at 07:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Andrew
They are not as subject-able to viruses and crash rarely. However, as they become more popular, geeks will write viruses for them. You can run MS Office on there and MSN just like you can on a Windows machine. There is also the option to run Boot Camp and install Windows XP or Vista on there too.

You see I dont understand this? I have had Windows for as long as I can remember. It very rarely ever ever crashes (to put a number on it 5 times a year I have to use the reset button), this is XP and Vista. Virus infections, again, I get about 1 or 2 a year, and have had no data lost or stolen as a result. I do visit some, somewhat, dodgy sites where there is potential for all sorts of shit, but nothing ever happens, so I dont know why some people suffer so badly from it, its more people's stupidity than vulnerable software, IMO
Balling
Premium Member

16th Mar 09 at 09:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Andrew
The Mac is currently more reliable but as it comes more and more popular, it will soon become as unstable as Windows.

People have been saying that for the last 5 years (probably even longer) and I'm still to see evidence supporting this theory. You'd think the virus' would start to slowly build up, but to this day there's not one virus capable of infecting OS X on its own!

There is, ofcourse, mallware, but you still have to install this your self and give it access to your system.

As for reliability, I run Adobe Creative Suite on a windows machine at work and on a MacBook Pro at home. Spec of the Mac is slightly worse than that of the PC and experience a VAST improvement in speed and endurance when I work on the laptop.

Firewire? I've never once used it and tbh hardly any external hardware supports it.

Sam
Premium Member

16th Mar 09 at 17:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have an old G4 as my workhorse machine, it will never win any performance competitions (1Gb RAM, G4 400MHz CPU) but for work purposes it's excellent and does things quicker than my 2Gb Vista laptop!
Butler

16th Mar 09 at 17:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I love my macbook, as a system itself its always been second to none. I have however cracked the fascia a few times due to a flaw in the old style macbook, and my battery has died which I have yet to replace.
Cosmo

16th Mar 09 at 17:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have had a PowerPC (not that Intel shite) iMac for a while now, took me a few months to really get used to the operating system over windows, but now I have I wouldnt go back.

You do spend more for a similarly powered PC though, but imo is worth it.
AlunJ

17th Mar 09 at 16:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did love my macbook.... love the operating system and its a rather nice looking piece of kit but I'm starting to get a bit annoyed with it, had to return it to the apple store for a new hard drive, having had it a week the same thing has happened again so I've got to trapze back over to bristol again considering i've only had it a few months i'm a little annoyed - but I will say the customer service is 2nd to none
John

17th Mar 09 at 16:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you have to take it back or will they send somebody out as well?
AlunJ

17th Mar 09 at 16:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Do you have to take it back or will they send somebody out as well?

only downside is I couldn't find anywhere on the website where they said they would send somebody for it, so i've had to take it in myself, I may kick up a fuss and see if they will refund train fare.

New Poll