corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » High Spec computer? £2000

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author High Spec computer? £2000
Whittie

User status: Offline
29th Aug 08 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So far.... I'm thinking along these lines. Undecided on Gfx cards atm though, depends on price.

Motherboard (£255)
Asus Striker II Extreme

CPU £300ish
Intel Core 2 Quad QX955 Extreme
Thermaltake Golden Orb

Memory £250ish
8gb Corsair DDR3 1600mz (4x2gb)

Hard Drives £250
Velociraptor 300gb, 10000rpm
WD - 1tb

Graphics £210
1x Nvidia GTX280 )

Optical £70
5x Blu Ray (4x Dvd-+, cd 24x)

Sound £0
Onboard

Case £100
No idea yet.

PSU £130
1200w Thermaltake, better to be safe lol

[Edited on 29-08-2008 by Whittie]

[Edited on 29-08-2008 by Whittie]
John

29th Aug 08 at 14:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks good.

What about a bluray burner for future archiving?

Although probably better to wait for them to drop in price.
Whittie

29th Aug 08 at 14:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nah, I already think it's OTT so stuff like blu ray burners is just the iceing on the cake

That spec with monitors Would come to £2700.

Not sure what to do, other CPU could be the Q9550, which is 4 x 2.83.

Would save £450 with that processor, and a further £200 if I don't get the highest graphics.

So full system would be around £2000. As monitors are £400.

Hmmm
Russ

29th Aug 08 at 14:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why all that jazz and then onboard sound. Also, your always posting cant working as freelance IT and then there was the starting a business with the princes trust thing. So i guessed - and i presume correctly - that you were starting a computer company, i apologise for having a brain
John

29th Aug 08 at 14:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Onboard sound is very good these days.

I wouldn't buy a sound card unless I needed something speciific on it.
Russ

29th Aug 08 at 15:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Onboard sound is very good these days.

I wouldn't buy a sound card unless I needed something speciific on it.
couldnt you say the same about ddr3 and quad cpu's though...
Whittie

29th Aug 08 at 16:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye, i'll probably get ddr2 russ. And spec it down a little bit
Russ

29th Aug 08 at 16:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whats the pc for? gfx design? buy a mac. if its for games, a q6600 and any gtx is enough. no point wasting 2k imho friend
Dom

29th Aug 08 at 17:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Russ
whats the pc for? gfx design? buy a mac. if its for games, a q6600 and any gtx is enough. no point wasting 2k imho friend

I agree with russ, although Adobe on OSX is limited to 3GB (32bit OS) but creating Ram disks and using those for Photoshop scratch disks etc speeds that up!

But no offence whittie, it sounds like you're just splashing the cash around. Future proofing doesn't mean buying the current most expensive component! Spend some time, do a little research, shop around and save the cash!

Why SLI? No need, you're tailoring the system mainly at graphics so no point in SLI. If you're wanting to do video editing or 3D modelling then you'd be looking at Matrox and Quadro etc anyways.

Why are you spending £300 more on a QX9650? Unless you're going to clock the nuts out of it (therefore need water cooling) then i would save the cash and settle for Q9650 instead.

If you're going for a Q9650 it's best to stay with an intel chipset, especially for clocking. So look at the P45 or X48 (usually more bells and whistles) chipset board ie: Asus Maximus II Formula Intel P45 etc.

1200W PSU? FPMSL You could easily get away with a 650 Seagate/Tagan/Corsair for half the price. I'd be surprised if that spec you'd posted would even pull 200-250w on full load! Have a clocked Q6600 @ 3.6, 6 HDDs, clocked 8800GT at max load (cpu burn on all cores, hdtach on all the drives) it pulls 160W.

On board sound is alright, but you will notice bleed/noise from the PCI bus (sounds like a dot matrix going if accessing drives etc).

And Vista?! Why? XP64 is a lot less resource hungry and for what you're doing, it'll work perfectly well.

Also HDDs, i would look at having a TB (possibly external) drive just for backups, smaller quick drive (raptor's raid 0 possibly) for the OS, and then media/storage on other drives as required. Storing the page file on a smaller 36GB raptor or a decent SATA drive will speed things up.

If photoshoping is a big thing (handling large 1GB+ images etc), then look at RamDisks (ideally look at 8GB in total for the system and creating a 4GB ramdisk for PS) for photoshop scratch disks - it's the biggest speed increase you'll get. Also, if doing HDR stuff then it's worth moving windows temp files directory to a seperate drive will again increase speed.

[Edited on 29-08-2008 by Dom]
Andrew

29th Aug 08 at 20:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bit of a waste of money whittie. Personally i'd be putting a grand into a savings account and spending a grand on a bit of a beast. That system is going to drop in value very quickly.

Saying that, i have quite a bit of kit. I use my laptop as the fuck around system and two servers. A file server and an exchange server. All new would still not have cost £1500.
Cosmo

30th Aug 08 at 20:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got a new job then?
Twiggy

30th Aug 08 at 21:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£2k on a PC!! I have lived on a £399 dell for 3 years! Are you assisting N.A.S.A.?

bigD21

31st Aug 08 at 08:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats a lot of money for a PC to be honest, especially when in a couple of months time it'll probably have dropped a quatre of the value easily. I paid just over £400 about a year ago, system is outdated like fook now, but it still handles absolutely everything I need with ease and I do tend to thrash it abit!

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll