corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Just bought a 1TB NAS, need a new router

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Just bought a 1TB NAS, need a new router
Balling
Premium Member

User status: Offline
13th Mar 09 at 21:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just bought a WD MyBook World Edition 1TB NAS, but my router is crap, so I need a knew one.

I don't need it to be state of the art, but I'm guessing I'd want something with 802.11n and gigabit ethernet for faster data transfer!?

I've been looking at the Belkin N+ Wireless and the D-Link DIR-655 but am currently undecided which to go for.

Any advice/experience!?

James_DT

13th Mar 09 at 22:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

D-Link over Belkin any day.
Balling
Premium Member

14th Mar 09 at 09:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by James_DT
D-Link over Belkin any day.

The D-Link is 15£ more though! Is it worth the steep difference?

Toby
Premium Member

14th Mar 09 at 09:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i got this recently and im very happy with it, we live in a large house and it works really well.
To be honest would never have gone for a belkin and there a re probably better routers out there for the money but i got this offered dirt cheap so fancied a punt. I like all the info it gives you and if your after sdomething different then take a look
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=450535
Bart

14th Mar 09 at 09:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can I ask why you want one, also what you want it for?

Typically, if your getting poor download speeds, it wont be to do with your router.
If you want to improve file transfers I would recommend getting a decent (also cheap nowadays) ethernet switch.

[Edited on 14-03-2009 by Bart]
oceansoul

14th Mar 09 at 11:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you get a new router, you can connect your old router to the new one via Ethernet, Fiddle with the config a bit, and locate it in another part of your house. With the SSID and security set the same, your wireless laptops can "roam" between the 2 access points seamlessly. Ive done it, and now get 100% wireless connection everywhere in my house and garden =] even in the car out the front lol
Balling
Premium Member

14th Mar 09 at 14:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bart
Can I ask why you want one, also what you want it for?

Typically, if your getting poor download speeds, it wont be to do with your router.
If you want to improve file transfers I would recommend getting a decent (also cheap nowadays) ethernet switch.

As stated, I need it to give me a fast connection to my new NAS.

The router I currently have is old and unstable.

Ethernet is out of the question, I want WLAN.

Bart

14th Mar 09 at 15:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What type of connection does your wireless laptop/PC support? is it g or n? and what about transfer rates?

Theres no point spending OTT on an all singing dancing router if your laptop doesnt support it.

I used to use Netgear rangemax (DG834PN) router (stll do), but ive since moved everything to wired, much more stable.
Voyto

14th Mar 09 at 15:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Billion BiPAC 7800
Balling
Premium Member

15th Mar 09 at 12:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bart
What type of connection does your wireless laptop/PC support? is it g or n? and what about transfer rates?

Theres no point spending OTT on an all singing dancing router if your laptop doesnt support it.

I used to use Netgear rangemax (DG834PN) router (stll do), but ive since moved everything to wired, much more stable.

My MacBook Pro and PS3 runs 802.11n (PS3 is currently wired though, but through a 10/100 base switch in the router, would be better with gigabit ethernet) and the missus' MacBook runs 802.11g.
Internet connection is being upgraded to a 20mbit april 1st.

I move the laptop around the house alot, so I don't care for a wired connection.

John

15th Mar 09 at 13:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does the PS3 come with 802.11n, I didn't think it did.
noshua

15th Mar 09 at 23:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If your streaming 720p or above, you'll definitely need a 802.11n router as you stated, nothing else will cope.

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=530
Toby
Premium Member

16th Mar 09 at 08:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John

no it doesnt, thats why ours is wired
Balling
Premium Member

16th Mar 09 at 08:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John

No I'm mistaken, sorry.

It does have 1000base ethernet though, so a router with a built in gigabit switch is basically a must.

I've settled with the D-Link DIR-655 as it comes highly recommended from most places. Steep price tag though...

New Poll