corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Is Sky HD worth the extra £10 a month?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Is Sky HD worth the extra £10 a month?
Cavey

User status: Offline
25th Feb 09 at 10:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As the title says pretty much.

Is it worth paying an extra £9.75 a month for the HD stuff?

Looking at getting sky installed, and i will probably go for Sky+HD because it's relatively cheap at the moment.

What deals are on, i know there was a thread recently, but haven't got search and it was a couple of weeks back, Sky website has £49 for the box, £49.25 a month (for everything except movies, i can download them) with Free install and £30 M&S vouchers. I think it was Free HD for a month as well.

Don't need the phone or broadband packages.
AlunJ

25th Feb 09 at 10:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its pretty decent, for £10 though there is a lack of hd channels, I don't have movies or sports mind.... but it is very good when you find something decent to watch on there
smack

25th Feb 09 at 10:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

imo no, if your well off and got cash to burn fair, but its alot of money for just improving picture.
C2RL R

25th Feb 09 at 11:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you watch a lot of sports and movies then i think it's worth it. football looks awesome in hd. i don't know how long it's gonna be til the main channels get broadcast in hd but it can't be far off.
BigSte

25th Feb 09 at 11:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by smack
imo no, if your well off and got cash to burn fair, but its alot of money for just improving picture.

thats exactly my thought..... you don't get many channels and do I really need a better pricture to watch the odd thing on Sky 1/C4/ BBC?

HD is always getting lower and lower, will wait a few months till they give it away for free. While people are still signing up to give them a tenner a month they will keep the promotion on, as soon as it starts drying up for them they will either drop it more or give it away to entice new customers
Cavey

25th Feb 09 at 11:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hmmm, i wouldn't be taking movies, just been looking and there's 10 channels i'd probably watch in HD, BBC, C4, FX, Discovery, Nat Geo, Sky1, and the Sports, so it'd be £1 per channel pretty much.

Thing is, obviously it's pretty new technology for the UK, and everything else WILL be following to HD, so ideally i'd want the HD box, but no subscription, but can't see that's happening
James

25th Feb 09 at 11:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends, £10 a month isn't much money in the big scheme of things. However, Sky is already pretty expensive.

As BigSte said, i'd imagine they will drop the £10 a month charge in the near future, just like they did with Sky+.
BigSte

25th Feb 09 at 11:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that's what I want

If it was £100 for box and no subscription I'd be straight in.

Been trying to cut my bills these last few months and couldn't justify putting sky up by another tenner just to get a few extra channels in better picture
Pablo

25th Feb 09 at 11:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.froogle.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=HUMA-FOXSATHD-BOX

Cavey

25th Feb 09 at 11:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If they drop the £10 charge within my 12 month contract, would they drop the charge from me, or carry on charging till the end of the 12 months and then remove it?
Cavey

25th Feb 09 at 11:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nah, want the range of channels that Sky offers Pablo, had looked into FreeSat already
James

25th Feb 09 at 11:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cavey
If they drop the £10 charge within my 12 month contract, would they drop the charge from me, or carry on charging till the end of the 12 months and then remove it?

Depends what it says in your contract - I would imagine they will continue to charge you it.
Kyle T
Premium Member

25th Feb 09 at 11:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've just got sky+ HD (do it through quidco for £100 cashback...) and tbh I'd say it is worth it.

I'm only paying £26 a month (no movies or sports here) and this includes phone/broadband!!

For watching stuff like Lost/24, HD is really really worth it. If the Beeb show F1 in HD this season it will be even better still!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
BigSte

25th Feb 09 at 11:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how many mixes you got there Kyle?
Kyle T
Premium Member

25th Feb 09 at 11:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BigSte
how many mixes you got there Kyle?

Two, Variety and Knowledge. Tbh I might just get them all, it's only like £1 for an additional mix!

I got the knowledge stuff mainly for my missus as she's studying geography and is interested in all that shit But i've actually ended up watching it more!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
_Allan_

25th Feb 09 at 11:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sports, CH4, Discovery and Sky One makes it worthwhile. We did have the full package for the last 18 years but have recently dropped the movies. HD movies was also good but can get them from the special shop months in advance
BigSte

25th Feb 09 at 11:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got all 6, think I pay £21.50. makes sense now cos if i had HD it would be £31.25 - which is the same as you if you had all mixes
Eck
Premium Member

25th Feb 09 at 11:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by C2RL R
if you watch a lot of sports and movies then i think it's worth it. football looks awesome in hd. i don't know how long it's gonna be til the main channels get broadcast in hd but it can't be far off.

Fitbaw and Movies look immense in the HD. If you go for the full package (Sports and Movies) then I'd say it most definitley is worth it.
Scotty_B

25th Feb 09 at 13:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only if you watch loads of Footie and Movies.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

25th Feb 09 at 13:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have the full package

just need setanta to start showing hd
John

25th Feb 09 at 13:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Atm it's more cost effective to get HD than not.

It's £49 for an HD box with one months free HD or £99 for a sky+ box.

So if you were wanting sky+ anyway you can get HD and basically 6 months HD for the price you'd pay for just +.
strick206

25th Feb 09 at 13:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I am waiting for them to drop the £10 a month charge, i don't imagine it will be long before they do they are practically giving away the boxes now anyway
strick206

25th Feb 09 at 13:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
It's £49 for an HD box with one months free HD or £99 for a sky+ box.

But no-one in their right mind would accept £100 for a sky+ box when they are offering a HD one for £49, i sorted it for my auntie a week or so ago and got a price for everything with the sky + box costing around 40quid itself

Not taken anything out but if you speak to the sales people they could probably end up giving sky+ boxes away now
James

25th Feb 09 at 13:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I looked at a job with Sky the other day and it said "We give you free Sky+".

TBH if I was working for them I would expect free Sky HD with sports and movies as well as free broadband and telephone.
John

25th Feb 09 at 13:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by strick206
I am waiting for them to drop the £10 a month charge, i don't imagine it will be long before they do they are practically giving away the boxes now anyway

I agree with them dropping the charge soon, if freesat got a bit of advertising they'd have to do it even quicker.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll