corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Is Sky HD worth the extra £10 a month?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Is Sky HD worth the extra £10 a month?
Kyle T
Premium Member

User status: Offline
25th Feb 09 at 13:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
quote:
Originally posted by strick206
I am waiting for them to drop the £10 a month charge, i don't imagine it will be long before they do they are practically giving away the boxes now anyway

I agree with them dropping the charge soon, if freesat got a bit of advertising they'd have to do it even quicker.

I was waiting out for Freesat to bring out a recorder box for so long, claiming I was going to help in bringing down the overpriced sky monopoly on HD telly, but then when Humax released their box in November for >250 quid, I soon changed my mind - and then totally fell for the monopoly a couple of weeks ago when I got sky for £50 setup and £26 quid a month, actually SAVING money over my previous phone and broadband contract of £33 a month

I feel dirrty, but I can't argue with the value I've got - especially considering the M&S voucher and £100 via quidco!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Rob E

25th Feb 09 at 13:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When my parents had it installed last year I couldnt belive the difference in quiality. The first thing I watched in HD was Saving Private Ryan and WOW is all I have to say. Rocky 5 in HD was also amazing
John

25th Feb 09 at 13:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had to do without my sky for a week or so there because of the way I had to order HD without the installation charge.

I'm the first one to say there's not much on sky but these even less on council telly.

If all else fails there will be a road wars or something on discovery, well worth the money just for that.

Every time I get the movies for a half price deal though i'm glad to get rid, nobody in the house watches any of them.
Kyle T
Premium Member

25th Feb 09 at 13:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When signing up they sent me an email (with a broken link on it grrr) for free movies and sports for a month. Think it's worth doing and filling up my HDD for a few weeks watching?

If I cancel movies after the free period - will the movies still be available on my disk?

Now all I need is to find out how to get to that section on their website since the email has a duff link !

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
John

25th Feb 09 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can't watch recorded movies if you get rid of the movies.

If you phone up and say you're thinking about it but can't afford it you should get movies and sports half price for 3 months.
Kyle T
Premium Member

25th Feb 09 at 13:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

If you phone up and say you're thinking about it but can't afford it you should get movies and sports half price for 3 months.

Ah-ha might try that one

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Rob E

25th Feb 09 at 14:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can also phone up and say a friend has been offered a 3month half price movies/sport package and you havent and they give you the same deal, We used this over xmas
Cavey

25th Feb 09 at 14:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So i'll probably get it ordered this week then hopefully.

Is there anywhere online where you can say you were referred by someone to get them free stuff as well? Got to the payment section of the order and couldn't see anything.

£49 for the box, free installation
£49.25 a month for full package excluding movies, that'll do me for now

Will be a nice birthday present for myself as well
BYRON

25th Feb 09 at 15:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AlunJ
I don't have movies or sports mind....

Only reason to get it imo....my brother got it when it was £350 for the box etc...fantastic quality. I remember seeing kieron dyer fall into the advertising hoards and rip his leg open. The clarity was immense.
JM Curdy

25th Feb 09 at 16:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

got the full package + extras + HD and completely worth it, a good 40+ HD channels now, anyone ever seen aquariavision.... IMMENSE! sports is quality as is movies
_Allan_

25th Feb 09 at 16:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

As I found out this week, sneeky twats
John

25th Feb 09 at 16:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's half for security and half by design I would say.

When you record something it records the encrypted stream then decodes it when you play it back.

If they recorded stuff in MPEG2 people could just copy high quality files across to the computer.
Cavey

25th Feb 09 at 16:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's gotta be a way to record across to the PC somehow anyway by now i'd imagine?

JM, i could only see 30 i think on the sky website, and 9 of them were movies. wtf is Aquariavision?! (Just an aquarium i guess?)
John

25th Feb 09 at 16:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's not, well apart from recording it via scart or something.
Robbo

25th Feb 09 at 17:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unless you're loaded, like me, then its onyl worth it if you watch a lot of movies AND sport

And hate to be the bearer of bad news but there was an interviews with an exec of BSkyB on the FT website the other week and there are no plans to drop the £10 HD charge in the next 5 years... tjhey need it to garner the return on their investment in HD. Gutted cos I was hopign they'd do a Sky+
John

25th Feb 09 at 17:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not a chance they'll keep that charge for 5 years.
James

25th Feb 09 at 17:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
Unless you're loaded, like me, then its onyl worth it if you watch a lot of movies AND sport

And hate to be the bearer of bad news but there was an interviews with an exec of BSkyB on the FT website the other week and there are no plans to drop the £10 HD charge in the next 5 years... tjhey need it to garner the return on their investment in HD. Gutted cos I was hopign they'd do a Sky+

They will lose out in the long run when more and more channels appear in HD on FreeSat.
Cavey

27th Feb 09 at 15:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just ordered the full pack, excluding movies, Sky+HD, should be installed on Thursday the 5th

Got a mate to refer me as well so get £50 M&S vouchers each.

Spoke to an engineer i saw while i was posting today, and he reckons the additional cost for Sky HD will be gone in 6 months anyway. So fingers crossed
BYRON

27th Feb 09 at 15:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cavey
and he reckons the additional cost for Sky HD will be gone in 6 months anyway. So fingers crossed

Additional cost for the box or additional box per month. You can tell how much they are investing in HD as the normal picture quality is shit.
Daimo B

27th Feb 09 at 15:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Interesting post, im thinking about it too as my primary sky box went bang over xmas, and i've been using my old "backup" sky box.

I want a new one as I can't record all channels on this box, and seriously thinking about HD.

I don't watch many movies, but I do watch Eurosport, and documentries (not sky sports really, not got it anymore, not enough motorsport).

So what if you sign up, pay the £10pm, then Sky cut the costs. I take it you have to call and demand they stop charging your, otherwise they just carry on?

When i first got my kit there was only 8 channels (3 odd years ago) available and I wasn't prepared to pay £10 for those 8 channels.
Ojc

27th Feb 09 at 15:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We just switched to Sky and I agree about normal picture quality, really grainy.
John

27th Feb 09 at 15:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My normal sky picture quality isn't shit, although the HD is much better.
Cavey

27th Feb 09 at 17:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BYRON
quote:
Originally posted by Cavey
and he reckons the additional cost for Sky HD will be gone in 6 months anyway. So fingers crossed

Additional cost for the box or additional box per month.

The additional cost per month, £9.75 at the moment. However he did also say they're the last ones to know about things, but that was his incling anyway, and would make sense that they would remove the £9.75 charge for HD, especially if more people look elsewhere for HD programming. Just have to wait and see i guess
ssj_kakarot

27th Feb 09 at 17:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

depends really if you have a decent av setup probally worth it, its a decent picture it also meens that the HD channels audio will come in 5.1 DD which is better if you have a decent audio setup.

just depends if you think its worth it your self really.
Cavey

27th Feb 09 at 22:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's my next "big" purchase, a decent audio system, got the PS3, and this to start going through it soon, so i'll look into that when/if i get some spare cash

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll