corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Omega project log

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Omega project log
PaulW

User status: Offline
15th Feb 09 at 18:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Past & Present log...

Sold my old GSi to chrex, as I got a new car. (you should already know this car)

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=411555

My new car - Omega 2.5 24v V6 Elite (1998)

Had it now for over a year, had a good few issues with it which I've worked on, and also I'm slowly doing stuff to it... So here is a complete picture-whoring experience with 'some' descriptions...

This is all mainly from 2007/2008...

When I still had the GSi, and had 'just' bought the Omega... (My Omega on the left, and a project I was doing as a sideline which I later sold my brother as I couldn't be arsed on the right.)

Anyways, just bought Omega...

After a clean...

And it broke... (10 miles into ownership) the HBV blew and it piddled all the coolant out, so got towed home and fixed a few days later.

Hmmmm this seems to be happening alot...

Had the cambelt done in a barn Also replaced the headertank with a new one as it cracked...

Coil pack decided to play up (probably due to coolant being sprayed on it when the HBV blew), and was causing a missfire, so stripped the topend down and replaced it, while I was there, also cleaned out the breathers, fitted new plugs and leads, did the camcover gaskets (as was leaking oil) and replaced all the inlet gaskets...

Missfire and oil leak are still there... bugger...

Checkstrap was buggered on the passenger door so fixed that too (sorry rubbish pic)

Fixed the cruise control (wrong brake switch was fitted), needed 4 pin, had 2 pin fitted...

Bit of snow on the front (caught in that big snowstorm we had last year as was coming up the M6)

The boot lock broke...

So got a new boot...

Bought a new grille at PVS and fitted it
Old:

New:

After PVS the tyres were truly goosed (down to the wire) so got new boots and a full geometry check done

AGAIN!!

Then the car got stolen...

Fixed the phone on the radio (new aerial fitted) aswell as tidied up the BOSE loom as when I connect a Tech2, I can't talk to the MID display (yet can talk to the CCRT) (looks messy, but trust me, it works!)

And did some wiring to try get the boot to pop...

But the new alarm module decided to go mad and wouldn't stop wailing when the alarm went off... So its back to the drawing board with that one! It's now rigged to open when the car is unlocked... so to open it, I need to lock then unlock the car... Madness!

Then went camping

So whats left to do...

New rear 1/4's on the back, and spray the boot so it all matches up.
New engine... Fitting a 3.2, as the current 2.5 is buggered... Its a swine to start, runs lumpy on a cold start (missing on 1 or 2 cylinders), it turns oil black after about 2k miles, and its loosing coolant. Oh, its also piddling out oil from between the block and the head.
New ICE install... The CCRT is good for a standard install (the phone function especially), but I want something 'more' so doing a custom CarPC install, with completely custom written software.
Sort out the aircon, will do that when I fit the new engine (need new condensor and dryer)
And then tidy up the bodywork and alloys, and other little jobs I come up with as time goes by...

Also (not in pictures) I've also done:
Rear brakes, handbrake cable, rear bearings
Tyres (6 of so far)
Thermostat & coolant bridge
Oil cooler

Not bad really for just shy of 180k miles
PaulW

15th Feb 09 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Update from the start of this year (2009) to present...

Some more progress (from this year)

Got reversed into, so had to replace the front bumper

Also last week I bought this - Limited Slip Differential 8)

Purchased a *new* bodykit (not 2nd hand)...

Full Steinmetz bodykit (front bumper valance, rear bumper valance, skirts) - enough to make Baby Jesus cry...

Got hold of an LPG kit

And bought this engine too...

Z32SE (3.2i V6) from a Vectra C GSi (53 reg)
60k miles
Picking that up on Wednesday...

Also got a 3ltr ECU and Loom for fitting the new engine, ECU is chipped already & from an ex-plod Omega, so pretty potent recipe... No pics of that yet, but I need to tidy up the loom so will get some up when I do that.
daymoon
Premium Member

15th Feb 09 at 18:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

love the omegas!

lights on new boot seem not to line up with lights on rear quaters???

new engine should be fun!
PaulW

15th Feb 09 at 19:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

aye thats why i'm fitting new rear 1/4's from a facelift instead, so can fit the later spec lights.
westcoastcorsa

15th Feb 09 at 20:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nice motor pal, the bloke who looks after my gym has a silver one of them elites , smart them old busses , lol
PaulW

18th Feb 09 at 20:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got the engine today, went all the way to Sussex to pick the damned thing up

Rubbish pics as its dark...

Took the explod estate down, 500 mile trip in total

According to the display on the estate though, I averaged 7.1mpg...
sand-eel

18th Feb 09 at 23:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

7.1MPG defo something wrong there
never knew some came with LSDs
PaulW

19th Feb 09 at 00:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sand-eel
7.1MPG defo something wrong there
never knew some came with LSDs

They were a dealer option on the manual MV6 (VERY rarely taken as it was like an extra £1200 or something daft), and also pretty much standard on all the police-spec manual 3.0/3.2's

So technically I have 2 now, as the estate also has one with it being explod

[Edited on 19-02-2009 by PaulW]
PaulW

19th Feb 09 at 16:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Spent lots of money today on bits

Cambelt kit
Waterpump
Oil Cooler radiator, sealing plate, cover, etc etc...
Many many seal rings
Sump gaskets for fitting Omega sumps (yes sumps... Omega has 2 part sump, vectra only 1)
Many many screws, nuts and bolts

Also bought this

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/ces-750a-engine-stand/path/workshop-cranes-engine-stands

All in, about £320-odd in bits and bobs after discount
PaulW

20th Feb 09 at 20:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers to Adam-D for the loan of the engine hoist I even took the time to put the wheels on it the right way, which he says has been wrong for the past 4 years

Also bought yet more bits today... So far I've bought...

1 x LPG Conversion Kit
1 x 3.0 MV6 ECU (Chipped)
1 x 3.0 Engine Loom
1 x LSD Differential
1 x AR35 Automatic Gearbox
1 x Lower Sump Pan
1 x Inlet Flange
1 x Alternator 120A
1 x A/C Compressor
1 x Power Steering Pump
1 x Z32SE Engine
1 x 93172354 - SET-TENSION ROLLER
1 x 93170697 - PUMP, WATER
2 x 90409175 - SEAL RING
4 x 11076852 - SEAL RING
1 x 93176626 - RADIATOR-ENGINE OIL
13 x 11095703 - SCREW
1 x 90501955 - COVER
2 x 90424578 - SCREW,HOLLOW M16
2 x 90409174 - NUT
1 x 9128256 - GASKET, OIL PAN
1 x 90469379 - GASKET, OIL PAN
20 x 11096901 - SCREW-TORX
2 x 11100282 - SCREW
1 x 90485251 - SEALING COMPOUND
1 x 90412159 - JUNCTION PIPE
4 x 11055767 - SCREW
3 x 11080343 - SCREW
3 x 11093621 - SCREW-TORX

Have to wait till tomorrow to get the engine on the stand, as waiting for p/n 11055767 (the 4 bolts).

Still alot to get (exhaust gaskets & manifolds, new inlet (current one has poor LPG nozzle positioning), oil pickup pipe & dipstick tube, rocker covers, various other gaskets, seals, o-rings, screws, bolts...)

And also have a fair few parts from the 3.2 to sell which I don't need so should make some money back

Also went over the LPG kit properly...

the injector pulse feed has been directly wired into the injector loom, there is no splitter before it connects, instead 2 multiplugs coming out of the front of the rail which feed to the lpg loom.

the wiring on the evaporator looks interesting, its hard wired into the lpg loom so cant just be unplugged, positioned, and plugged back in. the pipework looks a bit messy, so will be replaced anyway.

there are 2 injectors on the plenum to compliment the 6 on the manifold. no idea where these connect... there is a run off from: the injectors to what looks like a map sensor, which then runs off another feed. guessing this is for the plenum.

there is also a nipple on the rear end of the evaporator which has nothing connected... could this be vacuum from engine??

the loom running to the rear tank was also just 'cut'... there are 2 main power feeds, and 2 smaller wires, so four in total.

there is also what looks like +ve and -ve from the ecu end of the lpg loom, +ve is 15A fused. there is also a third 'cut' wire which came from the engine loom, id guess rpm feed. no wiring for lambda tho (mainly for diagnostics and tuning tho so not usually wired)

So... need to adapt the loom so I can 'hot-plug' the evaporator and all other components. Also need to sort out the back end of the loom which feeds the tank and adapt it to fit whatever one I get...

Fun times

[Edited on 20-02-2009 by PaulW]
Adam-D

21st Feb 09 at 22:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

youre wiring makes mine seem a small job
PaulW

21st Feb 09 at 22:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've still got to go over the engine loom aswell make sure its fine. Needs tidying up, then the LPG loom splicing into that...

Rather that than a body loom
RS6

22nd Feb 09 at 17:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

omegas rock
ChazSXi

22nd Feb 09 at 17:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

awesome.

my old man had a mv6 which was majorly kitted...had the leather recaos and manual box...lsd too!
Fad

22nd Feb 09 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is going to be an amzing project....running on LPG is such a great idea!
Marc

22nd Feb 09 at 20:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks like you're doing everything properly and improving quite a few things a long the way. Will keep reading this!
PaulW

1st Mar 09 at 15:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well started the stripdown of the Z32 today... Got as far as getting the inlet off, then had 3 bolts round off which were holding the flange in place

What an annoying inlet design though! You have about a million torx screws holding it in, you think you get them all out, then more need finding... Truly annoying! Camcover gaskets are a weakspot on the V6 lump aswell, the Omega layout is annoying enough, I can see the Vectra C layout even more annoying! The fuel rail, injectors, everything come off with the inlet...

So yeah, after struggling to get the engine on the stand (and having to buy some more bolts to fit), here are todays shots...

Engine on the stand (minus Inlet)

The *annoying* Inlet (I'm so glad I don't own a Vectra C now...)

And now all covered up ready for me to carry on with in a few days after I get some tools to remove the rounded bolts...

Also ordered another £100 worth of bolts, seals, gaskets, etc... Should be here by Wednesday all going well, but I can still crack on easy enough with everything else in the mean time
Adam-D

1st Mar 09 at 16:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dammit you'll be done before i am
PaulW

1st Mar 09 at 20:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i reckon I'll be done by the end of April... purely due to money situations
PaulW

2nd Mar 09 at 16:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well todays order of what I thought would be about another £100 worth of stuff turned out to be just shy of £300

This is what I have so far... (what has actually arrived that is) - NONE of this was a part of Todays order either...

Oil Cooler (the 2nd weakest link on the V6)

Oil cooler sandwich plate

Timing Belt Kit (Belt & Pre-tensioners)

Waterpump

New Oil Filler Cap

Some O-ring seal (for rear of block to coolant pipe)

Sump Gaskets

Assortment of Sealant and such

Assortment of various Bolts, Nuts, O-rings, and other little bagged bits

And lets see if anyone can tell me what's wrong with this Oil Filter

Still waiting on another seal I ordered over a week ago which is coming from Germany. And the bits I ordered for today "should" be here on Wednesday (unless any are to be shipped over from Germany)

[Edited on 02-03-2009 by PaulW]
fazza

2nd Mar 09 at 16:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sweet mate. spending quite a few quid on it

i have some of the 17" elite alloys that i need rid of if you are after a set?

PaulW

2nd Mar 09 at 17:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't really budget any wheels at the moment, plus the Elite wheels on it at the moment are good enough for now Debating painting them a different color, might do them white just to see how they look. I can always respray them again if I don't like it.

So far, excluding today's order, but including the engine, gearbox, etc etc... Cost stands at £1357 exactly... Not too bad I reckon considering what I've got.

There is more bits I need still, but I'll order them at a later date...

Trying my best to stick to Genuine GM items instead of relying too much on Pattern Parts. I want it done proper
fazza

2nd Mar 09 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u get much from here?

http://www.vauxhall-car-parts.co.uk/acatalog/OMEGA.html
PaulW

2nd Mar 09 at 17:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No, all bought directly through my local dealer. I'm a TradeClub member too, so get things cheaper than normal folk which does help

Just had a quick look at there prices, I'm actually paying less than they are selling (not by much mind) and plus don't have to worry about the extra postage charges

[Edited on 02-03-2009 by PaulW]
Adam-D

2nd Mar 09 at 17:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oil filter should be a paper filter

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Omega project log 23 database queries in 0.0981450 seconds