corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » How much would you spend/have you spent on your first house?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author How much would you spend/have you spent on your first house?
pow
Premium Member

User status: Offline
   6th Jan 09 at 13:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just interested, looking on right move etc and just wondering what a decent figure is?
BYRON

6th Jan 09 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£185k to buy it.
Just had a £4500 kitchen fitted (insurance claim) and the whole house has been decorated top to bottom, outside and inside. Would estimate that cost another £7k atleast.
pow
Premium Member

6th Jan 09 at 14:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So looking at around the 200k mark down South (offering 175k) isn't stupid you say?

2/3 bedroom semi with garage/gardens/conservatory in a very nice area
BYRON

6th Jan 09 at 14:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To add to my reply.
My house is 5yrs old, in Hampshire, mid terrace 'period cottage' with a 2yr old brick conservatory, garden and 1 allocated parking space. The area is very desirable and I have to pay a monthly estate charge for lawn upkeep etc...
pow
Premium Member

6th Jan 09 at 14:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cool, glad im setting my sights around about right...
RichR
Premium Member

6th Jan 09 at 15:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£116,500 buying price; spent £12kupto now; with £12-£15k left to spend.

Celing price on road when we bought was £175,000 for a similar property which was already finished.
RichR
Premium Member

6th Jan 09 at 15:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

actually, only spent around £6k so far, the other £6k is on mortgage repayments so far.

In my opinion; it is better to go for the worst house on the best street than the best house on the worst street. Your more likely to make a financial gain with the first and in our case, we spent about the same as our friends. Granted, they've all moved into theirs without having to do any major work - but we've got a bigger house with bigger driveway/gardens an extra bedroom and a garage plus brand new everything by the time we finish it; but its cost the same as their smaller, less well fitted out houses which are now seeing a fall in value.

The £175k ceiling price house sold for £175k about 5/6 weeks ago so the Credit crunch isn't hitting our area too badly

[Edited on 06-01-2009 by LiVe LeE]
pow
Premium Member

6th Jan 09 at 15:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wish the credit crunch would hurry up andhit around here

I really want a 2 bed semi in Warfield, but the prices
RichR
Premium Member

6th Jan 09 at 15:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The ceiling price house is our neighbour, his house is £175k for a 3 bed semi in a village location, landscaped gardens, front porch extension and single storey rear driveway relatively modern furnishings.

We paid £116,500 for an identical (mirror image) of his house in need of modernisation and without the extensions. For around £25k capital plus fees/mortgage we should be sitting at or above the ceiling price for the road. Okay it may shift slightly but at the moment our local housing market seems buoyant, maybe lost 5-6%. Thats why I say the worst house on the best street is the ideal purchase.
James

6th Jan 09 at 15:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not far from you pow, I'll be looking to spend around £175k for a 2 bed semi/terraced in a decent area.
pow
Premium Member

6th Jan 09 at 15:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

James, thanks for that
Conway563

6th Jan 09 at 15:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm looking at about £120k for a 2 bed in the posher side of town (the only place that you can get a 2 bed round here) or £125-140k for a 3 bed with garage etc. the other side of town.
Those are asking prices so would expect to knock a chunk off of that

[Edited on 06-01-2009 by Conway563]
Colin

6th Jan 09 at 16:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£37600 to buy it (1 bed flat) almost 4 years ago & spent about 7k on improvements. Was worth 75k-ish last year, not sure now I really wouldnt like to have to try & sell up right now - markets awash of properties & nothings moving fast.

£196 a month mortgage ftw - im not too fussed, im spending within my means just now!

We were hoping to buy a new build this year for 180k, 3 bed detached with garage but not sure now if prices are to drop. Also my money doubles once im qualified (another 12-18 months) making alot more options available for buying a house - much bigger budget & wont need to save up or cut back to manage a heavy mortgage so makes sense to wait maybe.

Will see when the banks start lending again, mortgage approvals are apparently down to a tenth of last years figures

[Edited on 06-01-2009 by Colin]
pow
Premium Member

6th Jan 09 at 17:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Being closer to London Conway, 120k would get you a pokey 1 bedroom flat here.
AK

6th Jan 09 at 17:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

our first place was just shy of 160k to buy. Spent sweet FA on it. Maybe 1k in 2years.

Current place... Bought for 285k, spent prob about 25-30k on it so far.
mattk

6th Jan 09 at 19:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the 2 houses Ive looked at have been £61k and £89k
deano87

6th Jan 09 at 19:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pow I can't believe you're looking at spending so much on a 1st property.

I'll be looking at as close to £100k as I possibly can, may be smaller. I'd rather flat than small starter home on block I think.

[Edited on 06-01-2009 by deano87]
Colin

6th Jan 09 at 19:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by deano87
pow I can't believe you're looking at spending so much on a 1st property.

I'll be looking at as close to £100k as I possibly can, may be smaller. I'd rather flat than small starter home on block I think.

[Edited on 06-01-2009 by deano87]

Yep you've got to keep in mind they only offer you 3-4x your annual wage if its a single application, if its joint then its like 3-4x the main income & half the second income. & that was before. I expect much tightness in the future, house purchases requiring large deposits. One of the banks biggest downfalls has been irresponsible lending.

For 200k youd need to be bringing in around £50k as a couple, 40k if on your own!? Look at some online calculators for a guide.

dannymccann

6th Jan 09 at 19:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

3 Bed end terrace with garage £100,000

2 Bed semi £80,000

Something along those lines would be nice
dannymccann

6th Jan 09 at 19:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Deano you lived in flats (not uni ones)? From my experience they are shite, you can hear everything around you, only 1 parking space etc, especially worse if its a mix of owned properties and rented ones, as the rented ones get abused, as do the neighbours
Colin

6th Jan 09 at 20:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is what I had in mind - Here

Not quite sure if its a good time to be moving though, wait & see.

The builder do a shared equity scheme so could have that one for 150k-ish with the remainder to be paid within 10 years.

Colin

6th Jan 09 at 20:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dannymccann
Deano you lived in flats (not uni ones)? From my experience they are shite, you can hear everything around you, only 1 parking space etc, especially worse if its a mix of owned properties and rented ones, as the rented ones get abused, as do the neighbours

My flats noisy, I can hear next doors TV & him chuckling along to it as I type this
dannymccann

6th Jan 09 at 20:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Colin, that link above

[Borat] NICE [/Borat]
pow
Premium Member

6th Jan 09 at 20:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dare anyone to find a NICE looking place in Windsor, Bracknell, Ascot, Warfield or anywhere surrounding (NOT SLOUGH) for sub 100k
dannymccann

6th Jan 09 at 20:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pow

Hereyou go

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll