corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Modding your car? Waste of money??

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Modding your car? Waste of money??
the_legend_of_yrag

User status: Offline
22nd Feb 04 at 11:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have spent alot of money on my car already, and dont tend to go out alot drinking etc. (I work at local club instead), and my sister always says to me i shouldnt waste my money modding my car, but the way i see it is that it is my hobby, a hobby tends to be something you spend alot of money on.

Now my sister doesnt really have a hobby, so she doesnt spend her money on alot apart from going out drinkin, 2/3 nights a week, now my point is, what does she have to show for that? A hangover in the morning...

What do i have to show at the end of spending money on my car? Something i can be proud of that ive put alot of time and effort into..

But my sister doesnt understand this...
Drew
Banned

22nd Feb 04 at 11:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

she has a good time - meets new people, etc
Fear

22nd Feb 04 at 11:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Exactly how i see it mate
Colin

22nd Feb 04 at 11:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You never get back what you put into a car tho - I try a bit of both nice car + go out 2/3 nights a week
the_legend_of_yrag

22nd Feb 04 at 11:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Drew
she has a good time - meets new people, etc

But so do i...i probably know more people in the club than her coz i work there...
Drew
Banned

22nd Feb 04 at 11:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin J
You never get back what you put into a car tho - I try a bit of both but fail badly. cally turbo + hammered 7 nights a week

the_legend_of_yrag

22nd Feb 04 at 11:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
You never get back what you put into a car tho - I try a bit of both nice car + go out 2/3 nights a week

But surley thats the same with most hobby's?? I mean if you collect scalextrics you can sell em on in a few years as it'l be worth alot, but then when you sell a modded car you can break it, still not gunna get all the money back, but you don't with alot of things..
antscorsa

22nd Feb 04 at 11:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but shes prob got mote memeories havigna wkd time every ntie compared to ur memeories of sticking sumfin new on ya car, i love modding my car but at the mo ive given up cos half moddd carts like mine looks shit, i got no money to mod so i jsut go drinkin and clubing

[Edited on 22-02-2004 by antscorsa]
Colin

22nd Feb 04 at 11:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
You never get back what you put into a car tho - I try a bit of both but fail badly. cally turbo + hammered 7 nights a week

Im not getting a cally Turbo and im not an alky drewston
Stu

22nd Feb 04 at 11:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive wasted a small fortune on my last 3 cars - 2.1 16 valve corsa, 4.4 V8 BMW 3 series and a 330bhp Nissan 200sx.

Its only just taken me until now to realise what a waste of money it is (first car I modded was the corsa when I was 20, am now 25) If I had not ploughed stupid amounts of money into those cars and saved it, Im pretty sure I wouldnt be far off owning a Ferrari. BUT on saying that, theres no way I would have saved that money anyway.

The best thing Ive done is buy the P1 Impreza. Its fast, looks good, its rare, reliable all straight out of the box. I dont need to spend a penny on it. I wont mod another car again!

I have had some top fun in those last three cars though. Its whatever floats your boat at the end of the day. People are always gonna have opinions no matter the subject - There is no right or wrong. If it makes you smile - Your doing summat right!

the_legend_of_yrag

22nd Feb 04 at 11:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by antscorsa
but shes prob got mote memeories havigna wkd time every ntie compared to ur memeories of sticking sumfin new on ya car, i love modding my car but at the mo ive given up cos half moddd carts like mine looks shit, i got no money to mod so i jsut go drinkin and clubing

[Edited on 22-02-2004 by antscorsa]

Mabey mate, but then she feels shitter in the morning than i do

But then each time you put something on your car, that makes a difference, don't you look at it and think that looks wicked.

Then you get used to it being there though so kinda rubs off i guess
Colin

22nd Feb 04 at 11:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by the_legend_of_yrag
quote:

But surley thats the same with most hobby's?? I mean if you collect scalextrics you can sell em on in a few years as it'l be worth alot, but then when you sell a modded car you can break it, still not gunna get all the money back, but you don't with alot of things..

Ok I spent about 8/9k on my corsa GSi and sold it for £1600 after 2 years, I still got fucked up and enjoyed myself at the weekend but now wish I hadnt bothered with the car and saved the money for something better(house maybe) instead.

Cars are a waste of money period
the_legend_of_yrag

22nd Feb 04 at 11:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Stu
Ive wasted a small fortune on my last 3 cars - 2.1 16 valve corsa, 4.4 V8 BMW 3 series and a 330bhp Nissan 200sx.

Its only just taken me until now to realise what a waste of money it is (first car I modded was the corsa when I was 20, am now 25) If I had not ploughed stupid amounts of money into those cars and saved it, Im pretty sure I wouldnt be far off owning a Ferrari. BUT on saying that, theres no way I would have saved that money anyway.

The best thing Ive done is buy the P1 Impreza. Its fast, looks good, its rare, reliable all straight out of the box. I dont need to spend a penny on it. I wont mod another car again!

I have had some top fun in those last three cars though. Its whatever floats your boat at the end of the day. People are always gonna have opinions no matter the subject - There is no right or wrong. If it makes you smile - Your doing summat right!

I think ill be the same when i reach my 20's ill be able to afford a quicker, good looking standard car so will be no need to mod it.
Colin

22nd Feb 04 at 11:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Stu

Hat off to this man - he knows what hes talking about
Drew
Banned

22nd Feb 04 at 11:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^^^ i agree - best off saving and getting a car you like as its standard, and as quick as you want. (like mine or wot stu has just said)
geordie smurf
Banned

22nd Feb 04 at 11:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i would rather spend my money on me car spent 6 grand on a d reg mini iam only 16 most of u's wont believe that but ive just sold it on ebay for 2500 big loss just got a corsa going to spend alot on that but at least i dont have a bad head in the morning
Colin

22nd Feb 04 at 11:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote of the week..
colin j - Im not getting a cally Turbo and im not an alky drewston

Colin

22nd Feb 04 at 11:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by geordie smurf
i would rather spend my money on me car spent 6 grand on a d reg mini iam only 16 most of u's wont believe that but ive just sold it on ebay for 2500 big loss just got a corsa going to spend alot on that but at least i dont have a bad head in the morning

Why bother, get a car that looks ok as std

If id done this instead of buying cars id be about £20k better off just now.

Futures in property - buy a house, rent it out for a few years to pay the morgage then sell it - Jackpot
Stu

22nd Feb 04 at 12:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thinking about it though, its those first cars that you mod that give you the "car" bug! Who knows? If I hadnt have got into cars, I might be a trainspotter now driving a (*tries to think of a car that no-one on here will have, so's not to offend!) Morris Marina or summat?

Alls well that ends well!
Colin

22nd Feb 04 at 12:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Stu
Thinking about it though, its those first cars that you mod that give you the "car" bug! Who knows? If I hadnt have got into cars, I might be a trainspotter now driving a (*tries to think of a car that no-one on here will have, so's not to offend!) Morris Marina or summat?

Alls well that ends well!

True its been a laugh - makes me sick when I think of the money ive wasted tho
BabyBlade

22nd Feb 04 at 12:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In my humble opinion ... I think its ok to mod a car that you can see yourself with in years to come and its not ott.

Why spend 6k + on a car then sell it for under half

buy a nice car to start off with and a few sult mods here and there will keep you happy
Stu

22nd Feb 04 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know what your saying Colin! Just think of having no mortgage!
Drew
Banned

22nd Feb 04 at 12:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i prob spent over 10k on my corsa

not good when ya think wot ya could have spent that on
BabyBlade

22nd Feb 04 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
i prob spent over 10k on my corsa

not good when ya think wot ya could have spent that on

Beer, crisps and strippers
Adam-D

22nd Feb 04 at 12:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

way i see it itsa a hobby
and im learning mechanincs, paint spraying, i can see what ive done and be proud.

plus im gonna be razzing it round a track i dont think there is a better feeling as your testing what you have built round a track and it all works

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Modding your car? Waste of money?? 22 database queries in 0.1887782 seconds