corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Modding your car? Waste of money??

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Modding your car? Waste of money??
Drew
Banned

User status: Offline
22nd Feb 04 at 12:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sethion33
quote:
Originally posted by Drew
i prob spent over 10k on my corsa

not good when ya think wot ya could have spent that on

Beer, crisps and strippers

no peanuts?
Paul H

22nd Feb 04 at 12:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think it's ok to spend a bit on your motor at the end of the day it's better than just pissing it away with alcohol and fags.but do it to a car that you no you will keep for a few years.that way loosing out don't seem so bad
Colin

22nd Feb 04 at 12:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Stu
I know what your saying Colin! Just think of having no mortgage!

Would be amazing

I want to buy a plot of land and build my own house....probably never happen tho....and if I did it would be too tempting to sell.

Would be nice*sigh*
BabyBlade

22nd Feb 04 at 12:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:
i prob spent over 10k on my corsa

not good when ya think wot ya could have spent that on

Beer, crisps and strippers

no peanuts?

I was generalising.

Peanuts would be included as they are a must wiv beer and crisps

p16vlv

22nd Feb 04 at 12:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have had mine for nearly 8 years now,bought it new. all i do is a little something different every year so i dont get bored with it.what i say is if you work hard for your money you can do what ever you want with it ,its personal choice.
corb

22nd Feb 04 at 12:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

See, ive been thinking this for a while now, and would like to be able to sell mine and buy something quicker/better looking as standard. But, thing is, only sorta cars im interested in I cant afford to insure, as im only 20, but yet can afford to insure 2ltr corsa which would keep up with a skyline GTS ina couple months. I recently added up how much ive spent on the car, and by the end of the year, how much im gonna have spent, around 13-15k. But at the end of the dat, it looks nice and i can afford the insurance.

Thats the major thing, is affording the insurance at a young age.
BabyBlade

22nd Feb 04 at 12:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

13-15k

How long have you been modding your car for?
Stu

22nd Feb 04 at 12:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah agree with the insurance thing. Like you say - You want a nice car but anything "nice" is group 15+ on insurance. So you buy a small car with low insurance and mod it - It still then retains the low insurance cost.

Its only since turning 25 and getting the 5th year of no claims that I can afford to insure the P1 - group 20 insurance on a car valued at £19,000 with Tesco is £1600. I should imagine there are some younger members on here paying that sort of money on an SRI corsa.
BabyBlade

22nd Feb 04 at 12:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not quite but i was paying about that for a clio rsi valued at a grand, role on 25....

actually no i can wait
Colin

22nd Feb 04 at 12:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Insurance is becoming okish for me now im 21, can insure most things for<£1k

Scoobies, Evo's, Cossies are £1600-£2600 tho
antscorsa

22nd Feb 04 at 13:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so true i had a vre gorsa and its in worse shape now than when i got it like looks tacky and unfinshed, id love to restore an old classic instead and have a standard day to day car
the_legend_of_yrag

22nd Feb 04 at 13:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think the main reason why so many people chose to mod then is because of insurance, i know if i could insure a scoody/evo/rx-7/typr r, at 18 i would have a couple of them!!!! :lol;
moddedcorsa

22nd Feb 04 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Stu
Yeah agree with the insurance thing. Like you say - You want a nice car but anything "nice" is group 15+ on insurance. So you buy a small car with low insurance and mod it - It still then retains the low insurance cost.

Its only since turning 25 and getting the 5th year of no claims that I can afford to insure the P1 - group 20 insurance on a car valued at £19,000 with Tesco is £1600. I should imagine there are some younger members on here paying that sort of money on an SRI corsa.

yep, im not far off that, im paying almost £1300 on a 1.2 8v (im 18, 19 in few months)
moddedcorsa

22nd Feb 04 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by antscorsa
so true i had a vre gorsa and its in worse shape now than when i got it like looks tacky and unfinshed, id love to restore an old classic instead and have a standard day to day car

this is wot i wanna do, hav a nic looking, fairly fast reliable day to day car, then have something else, ok its not a classic, but id love a mk2 nova, subtle, just gsi kit, set of 15" and a c20xe, or let or sumthing
Stu

22nd Feb 04 at 13:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£1300!!! Ouch! That is crap that is pal, sorry to hear that!

This country just doesnt want cars on the road anymore does it?
the_legend_of_yrag

22nd Feb 04 at 14:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

some good, different reply's/opinions here.

Which is good
ed

22nd Feb 04 at 14:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When you put it this way, however, you can see why people mod thier cars...

A new car costs, say, £7000. I bought my car for £1000. My alloys cost me £500, my bodykit cost me £370, my exhaust cost me £150. To get the motor resprayed ad have a load of custom stuff done to it its gonna be costing me £2500. That makes it £4520. Thats still a shit loads cheaper than your brand new Corsa C. IMO my car is gonna look nicer and certainly turn more heads, and cost nearly half the price.

However the sadest part about it, is my car is still gonna be a 10 year old Corsa B, with 90000 miles on the clock when I come to sell it. It's a tough one, but I don't think its that much of a waste of money...
corb

22nd Feb 04 at 14:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
13-15k

How long have you been modding your car for?

Ive had the car for 3 yrs and currently have done about 12k. but am having it resprayed, more bodywork, and more engine work. new wheels (AGAIN!!) and retrimming the interior. Engine work will probably come last on that lil list!
Gavin
Premium Member

22nd Feb 04 at 14:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i hate ppl who say....... "why bother modding ya car"
i see it as a hobby and my personilsed car.
when u get a car... theres stuff on it that u dont like so u changed it to ur liking....its like getting a house, u spend £K's on oduble glazing, cons, bathrooms to ur liking!

same with cars!

ihave spend alot of money on my car (even though its no overally modified) and i know i aint gonna see any return for the money that i've spent on it....but common, its better than spending tons of cash down th epub or going out EVERY nite!!!!!

pew pew pew pewwwww
Stu

22nd Feb 04 at 14:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can definitely see where your coming from 1800ed. I suppose its just how far you take em!

The mods you have planned for yours seems like a sensible amount. You end up spending £4500 on the mods and car and youll probably get £2000 for it. I dont see £2500 as a massive loss at all. When I did my corsa I think I put about £8000 into the engine and transmission alone, which when I look back is a bit daft, especially when I only got £6000 for the car. As you say - to anyone else the car is a 95 corsa LS with 60k on the clock. The fact it had no rear seats didnt help and no one even considered the fact it had a 200bhp+ engine.

I reckon its a good idea if you have a plan with your future mods and you know exactly how much you intend to spend and do etc etc
ed

22nd Feb 04 at 15:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep, make a plan, and stick to it! You get the car that you want, and you don't end up wasting too much money. You just spend a lot of it!
Marc

22nd Feb 04 at 15:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine came modded!
Stu

22nd Feb 04 at 15:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whats the power of your car Marc? What is it exactly? There are that many variations of the Impreza its hard to keep up! What are the stats like?
Marc

22nd Feb 04 at 15:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

UK Turbo 2000 AWD

Prodrive Performance Pack:
Remapped ECU
Full stainless exhaust de cat centre
Prodrive turbo hosing
Green air filter
P1 clutch
Lightened & balanced flywheel
Prodrive Quickshift
P1 alloys
Braided brake hoses
12 groove front discs
22B spoiler

Rolling roaded a 279bhp @ 6420rpm & 242lb/ft torque

[Edited on 22-02-2004 by 16vmarc]
Stu

22nd Feb 04 at 15:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Very nice Marc! What power are they when they come back from Prodrive?

Bet is a bit of a weapon that aint it?

Did you do the discs yourself? Only asking cos the only thing that lets the P1 down is the brakes, not very good. Godspeed do a 335mm conversion (you get discs, bells, lines, spacers and pads) using standard calipers for £500 but I dont really want to alter it from standard. No harm in putting on uprated discs though, they are due for a change and are probably cheaper than the Subaru items anyway! (See, Ill never really stop modifying after all Ive said! )

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Modding your car? Waste of money?? 23 database queries in 0.0152168 seconds