corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Drink Driving

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Drink Driving
AlexSXI

User status: Offline
29th Dec 08 at 17:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

o right, havent seen them about here

when its put like that it seems unfair, how can everybody be tested the same way if their bodys work differently!
Carl

29th Dec 08 at 17:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by gtitim
I have no issues stopping motorists, and will breathalise everyone i stop as routine. If you are over, you are not unlucky, you are an idiot for driving, be it the same night or morning after. No sympathy, enjoy the ban.

People don't want your sympathy, as a policeman though I'm sure a lot of honest citizens wouldn't mind a bit of empathy here and there to the non-scumbags. A driving ban could near on destroy someone's life (circumstance specific obviously) and they could have been near on forced to drive.
gtitim

29th Dec 08 at 17:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
gtitim, although yes, if you drink drive you drink drive knowing its wrong, but from your own admission there the system is heavily flawed the same as most other things regarding the law.

I don't know how you can be proud of helping a corrupt system.

[Edited on 29-12-2008 by John]

Can you come up with aa better system?? Yes the system, like others, can be flawed, however, it sets a benchmark. The only way that I could see to get accurate to the point of becoming anal about it would be to go to blood samples. Could you imagine that - every time i stop you and suspect you may have been drinking, i require a blood sample from you. Not practicable and would never become passed as law.

The breath test procedures in place at present work, and provide an accurate reading as to the proportion of alcohol in your breath, as the law requires. You may have drunk six pints to get a particular level, and i may have drunk 12; ultimately it leads to the same thing... if your reading is above the limit you get charged. simple and straightforward.

Suggestions of a better, practical way below...
John

29th Dec 08 at 17:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't get paid enough to think of a better suggestion, I understand that for many things there hasn't been one devised yet.

You sound like a typical policeman though and exactly why they are by and large hated by all walks of society, good and bad.
Jonny P

29th Dec 08 at 17:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
We are all on duty over xmas, boxing day, new years day etc, allbeit on reduced numbers due to some of us wanting holidays to spend with children, families etc. My force doesn't operate a 'spot check' where we stop and breathalise everyone - not permitted to stop vehicles without a reason, however minor.

I worked the night from xmas day into boxing, along with 4 other officers in my station. I spent most of my night dealing with drug users who i locked up while on patrol, and the other lads had a drink driver and a drunken idiot. kept us busy all night, so rather than speculate, ask maybe??

edited to add: I am working NYE and NYD and will not have time to go after drink drivers; will be too busy in town dealing with the drunken idiots who think its clever to fight or try and smash the place or each other up!

[Edited on 29-12-2008 by gtitim]

Could have fooled me, they always think of some shitty reason. Best one was "you looked like somebody known to us"....belter.

Ive been "spot checked" 3 times in 4 weeks. For no reason other than i was driving at night. Im a DJ so its kinda hard to get away from driving at night and walking out of bars/clubs and getting into my car. I dont drink at all, not even one, when im DJing and whilst i dont have a problem them pulling me when im coming out of a bar and getting into my car, i do have a problem when they pull me on my way to work at say 10.30pm...
gtitim

29th Dec 08 at 17:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Carl
quote:
I have no issues stopping motorists, and will breathalise everyone i stop as routine. If you are over, you are not unlucky, you are an idiot for driving, be it the same night or morning after. No sympathy, enjoy the ban.

People don't want your sympathy, as a policeman though I'm sure a lot of honest citizens wouldn't mind a bit of empathy here and there to the non-scumbags. A driving ban could near on destroy someone's life (circumstance specific obviously) and they could have been near on forced to drive.

I never said i was not empathetic, however, if you believe you have a genuine reason or mitigation as to why you were driving having been drinking, then tell the magistrate when you get to court. plead not guilty and explain your reasons. There is no choice of disposal options for police. If you blow over, and the reading is not low enough for the option of blood/urine sample, then you are charged. If low enough for blood/urine, take the option, have the test done and once the results are back you will either be charged or not, dependent on the result.
gtitim

29th Dec 08 at 17:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John

You sound like a typical policeman though and exactly why they are by and large hated by all walks of society, good and bad.

Having never met me, you do not know what sort of person I am. I have given a factual account, nothing more. Having had to do some of the jobs I do, and seeing the results of drink driving, its something i have zero tolerance for. I will not get in, or allow my child to get in a car if i suspect the driver has been drinking, whether it has been one glass or more.

I have a very unbiased outlook on some of the issues people on here raise about police. To give you an example; 10yrs ago i used to get stopped by police all the time, used to collect producers by the booklet full, I used to be heavily involved in the 'cruise' scene, working closely with magazines for promotion and locations, have trophies from the cars I have built, and had magazine features.

I know what it's like to be constantly stopped for what you think are petty reasons, but i also see the other side of it. Years ago, we used to be out every night down the town as a group, maybe 20 or 30 cars. We used to have a great laugh, and never caused any trouble. The local bobbies, even traffic, used to come down and chat with us when they were bored. Now, times have changed, and the lads that hang around where i used to smoke weed and drive home, think its clever to scream around the town driving like tools, and generally behave in what is considered an anti social manner. They will end up with S59 warnings, or tickets over time, and give young drivers a bad name. No-one to blame but themselves.
John

29th Dec 08 at 17:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've never been stopped driving in my life, been breathalised once when I crashed at about 2am but that's to be expected.

Never been in any other trouble at all either apart from the odd discussion outside a pub.

I've not got a bad oppinion because i'm hard done by, i've got it through what i've seen and for you saying you'll stop anybody for anything then breathalise them, knowing that the system isn't close to fair.

If you had stopped them for driving about clearly drunk and breathalised then thats fine.

If you stop them because you've ran out of donuts and you would never have suspected their driving then thats just typical. imo.
charlessurr

29th Dec 08 at 17:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive seen them doing this in Sheffield, but as has been said, im sure they are only pulling cars over they have reason to. . . a girl i work with was breathalised on xmas eve morning but thats after she went through a bus gate by accident, she tested negative
swill_omnibus

29th Dec 08 at 17:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In my area from 11PM til 6AM they've been using the fire service car park pulling people in with 1 officer breathalising you and another checking over your car! All been random checks just pulling anyone in etc.

Iv'e been had 3times........ But rather them pull everyone in than just odd ones here and there!
gtitim

29th Dec 08 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can stop vehicle for any number of reasons - just a few examples: bulb out, crossed while line, excess speed, slow or erratic speed, over-cautious driving, etc etc. Any of those things are reasons for stopping someone.
A drink driver stopped the other week was driving fine, and was stopped because they had a bulb out. Only stopped to tell them bulb was out, and to advise getting it fixed. When the driver wound down the window it smelt like a brewery. breathalised, failed, arrested and charged. If the car hadn't been stopped, who is to say that driver may not have had an accident around the next corner due to reaction times being affected by the alcohol in their system? They may have driven home fine, slept it off and been none the wiser, then again they potentially could have killed someone.
gtitim

29th Dec 08 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Andrew
That is a load of bollocks and yes i hate the Police. I used to be out every night crusing. Not once did i see someone smoking weed! None of us for a start can afford to tweak cars and smoke that shit.

I have stopped several of young lads round where i work. Often the car stinks of weed, or there is evidence of its use. I have seized several bags off them, issued cannabis warnings and arrested for possession.

My car got key a year or so back and to this day i'm waiting for the copper to come back and arrest the guy that did it. I had evidence on a web cam and gave a statement. I gave up chasing it up after a few weeks as i didn't have the time.

Did you know who the person was? CCTV is great evidence, but its still necessary to identify the offender. I have several jobs on the go right now where i have excellent CCTV, but the problem is if the offender is not recognised, how do we find them. Police don't have facial recognition systems where we can scan a picture in and Id someone, or at least my force has nothing like that. Not always so simple to prove, unless the CCTV clearly identifies them by face, and shows them clearly doing the damage. When i say clearly, i mean that their solicitor views it and says they're fucked, not looks for excuses or defences to why they were there, what they were doing etc.

A young girl got stabbed at the back of my house. Not once, but 14 times. The girl who was taken to court got off with saying it was self defence - 14 times she stabbed her! Is the law there to protect us then?

Then blame the CPS/Courts for that. Police job is to find offender and put them before the court. Up to the CPS and court to decide on the charge and whether they are guilty, and if so guilty of what.

I have no problem is being stopped in my car. I pay insurance, tax and is fully road legal. It just annoys me that my car and myself are not safe on the streets. And yes, we need to get those uninsured drivers off the road.

Thats why we have SOCAP. We will seize them if uninsured, and regularly stop cars that who may be insured, but if our computer says not, then a stop is often a way of clearing the matter up, for example if you buy a new car then it takes a while for the insurance to change on our system, not instant.

[Edited on 29-12-2008 by Andrew]

Carl

29th Dec 08 at 18:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Carl
quote:

I never said i was not empathetic, however, if you believe you have a genuine reason or mitigation as to why you were driving having been drinking, then tell the magistrate when you get to court. plead not guilty and explain your reasons. There is no choice of disposal options for police. If you blow over, and the reading is not low enough for the option of blood/urine sample, then you are charged. If low enough for blood/urine, take the option, have the test done and once the results are back you will either be charged or not, dependent on the result.

Fair enough. But we all know magistrates are shocking. Plus if you have no reason to breathalise them thats what I was going down the lines of. Talking about morning after more than the tests.
oceansoul

29th Dec 08 at 20:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jonny P

Could have fooled me, they always think of some shitty reason. Best one was "you looked like somebody known to us"....belter.

Ive been "spot checked" 3 times in 4 weeks. For no reason other than i was driving at night.

I once got told that you can "complain" to the police if you get stopped more than 3 times in a 6 month periord for no reason. All you need is a report of being stopped from the occasion, and as no1 knows about this the police keep it quiet.
o you get compensation also
It was a copper that told me that btw.

[Edited on 29-12-2008 by oceansoul]
corsa.v6

29th Dec 08 at 20:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i haven't read all the post but........

whats the limit now in MG'S and UNITS

does anyone no ?
nik

29th Dec 08 at 20:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had about 8 wiskeys last night, and probably 5-6 beers. I got up about 8 this morning and drove my heart out, over taking people when not really safe to do so etc. Boy I love Forza.

In all seriousness though it was worrying, I have seen about 4-5 VERY dodgy people driving over Christmas weaving between lanes, driving very slowly etc but not a single rozzer in sight Wonder how many drink related driving accidents there have been this Christmas?
gtitim

29th Dec 08 at 21:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

legal limit is 35microgrammes in 100millilitres of breath.

nik - unfortunately there aren't enough of us. If in doubt, and you think you are following a drink driver dial 999 and give as much info as possible. I have had two like this recently - one blew 148, and one blew 90ish. legal limit 35. scary that they thought they were safe to drive. Both came as a result of a 999 from a concerned motorist.
corsa.v6

29th Dec 08 at 21:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers gtitim

but what that in units ( 35 micrograms )

as say a can of stella puts it in units etc .. . . ..
Carl

29th Dec 08 at 21:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsa.v6
cheers gtitim

but what that in units ( 35 micrograms )

as say a can of stella puts it in units etc .. . . ..

not a lot pal, its something around 2ish, a pint of high strength lager such as stella is over it, put it that way.
gtitim

29th Dec 08 at 21:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

different drinks affect the body to different degrees i.e. stella stronger than fosters therefore higher after same amount.

the same drink can affect different people differently i.e i rarely drink, so 1 pint of stella will have a higher effect on me than my mate who drinks like a fish.

bottom line is this as far as i am concerned:...... if you or anyone else tries to work out how much they can safely drink before driving, the correct answer is ZERO. if you only have a pint or two, you may be under the legal limit, but that doesn't mean your reactions arent affected, and it's you that lives (or not) with the consequences.

I have the not so nice task on occasion of knocking on doors to tell parents/children/partners that xxx is dead, or is badly hurt in an accident. If by ranting on here, one person drinks coke instead of lager, then that could be one time less a copper has to go door knocking.
corsa.v6

29th Dec 08 at 21:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok cheer for that info i now no

the next thing how long it takes to get owt your system lol

i watched traffic cops or some thing and a kid got pulled morning after the night out and got is license took straight off him lol
Fro

29th Dec 08 at 21:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In average they say a unit every hour, i think a glassof wine counts as 1 unit.
gtitim

29th Dec 08 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes - average your liver can deal with is 1 unit per hr. a pint = 2 units so if you go on the piss and have say 6 pints and 4 shots, thats 16 units. if you finish drinking at 2 when the club shuts, technically you would still have it in your system at 8pm!

edited to add: obviously some drinks equate to more units per drink than others i.e stella will be more units/pint than fosters, a decent wine more than lambrini etc etc.

corsa.v6

29th Dec 08 at 22:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes it is abig head fuck but just looking
you can now get these little things you put on your key ring

from garages etc.... breathalyzer
dead cheap as well
may be worth having one of them ?
if they work i dont no lol
cesil

29th Dec 08 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont even have a pint when im driving, spesh over xmas! lad next door has just been done for the 4th time 2nd time this week aswell the nob

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Drink Driving 22 database queries in 0.1971052 seconds