corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » 1.8 corsa B

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 1.8 corsa B
Mobby

User status: Offline
1st Oct 08 at 11:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by tom_simes
Its a smallblock, and yes, the F15 will fit.

Why not discuss all this with Warren? Seeing as he is fitting it for you, I think it would be much easier to talk to him about costs etc.

hes not online atm and i just want to have opinions from everyone. you should never trust everyone, if you know what i mean
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

1st Oct 08 at 11:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats fair enough, but tbh I think I'd trust Warren, having met him a couple of times now.

He was pissed both times, I'll admit, but he's sound.
Mobby

1st Oct 08 at 11:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by tom_simes
Thats fair enough, but tbh I think I'd trust Warren, having met him a couple of times now.

He was pissed both times, I'll admit, but he's sound.

i agree he seems a sound guy and i trust him enough to leave my car with him etc. i just want advice from everyone not just the guy whos doing it if you get where im comong from, thanks for the help tom
Robin
Premium Member

User status: Online
1st Oct 08 at 12:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This thread has a lot of misinformation in. Warren is doing the conversion, he'll set you straight on literally everything.

Just to clear a few things up though, the X18XE is a big block, but the Z18XE and X18XE1 engines are small block.

The Z18XE is fly by wire, which would be an issue, however, the X18XE1 isn't, so that'd be a LOT easier to use.

The F13 or F15 box would be my choice of gearbox.

Sumps are an issue, as are exhaust manifolds, as Warren will tell you. There's some fabrication involved in that, which we did for Warren.

It's a better engine than the C20XE too IMO.

[Edited on 01-10-2008 by Robin]
Mobby

1st Oct 08 at 12:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin
This thread has a lot of misinformation in. Warren is doing the conversion, he'll set you straight on literally everything.

whats wrong in this thread?? im awaiting a u2u from him
Robin
Premium Member

1st Oct 08 at 12:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

see above
Mobby

1st Oct 08 at 12:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Just to clear a few things up though, the X18XE is a big block, but the Z18XE and X18XE1 engines are small block.

The Z18XE is fly by wire, which would be an issue, however, the X18XE1 isn't, so that'd be a LOT easier to use.

The F13 or F15 box would be my choice of gearbox.

Sumps are an issue, as are exhaust manifolds, as Warren will tell you. There's some fabrication involved in that, which we did for Warren.

It's a better engine than the C20XE too IMO.

[Edited on 01-10-2008 by Robin]

thanks for that robin, yeh he has told me about the sump issure and he has a way around it including the exhaust. does my sxi have a f13 as standard???

the writing that i have made bold has made my week!!
steddy-eddie

1st Oct 08 at 12:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why dont you use the x18xe out of the astra or vectra, same 1.8 and you wouldn t have to use stand alone management because they are not fly by wire
Jambo

1st Oct 08 at 12:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

doing any engine conversion on the cheap is never a good way of doing it.

Dont use the gearbox that will be cheaper, use a gearbox that will suit the car and have a torque rating to be able to handle the power of the chosen engine

Is it the block from a corsa c? If so thats a great base for tuning...

But i still stand buy a xe will be less hassle, easier, and of course cheap!
Mobby

1st Oct 08 at 12:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
doing any engine conversion on the cheap is never a good way of doing it.

Dont use the gearbox that will be cheaper, use a gearbox that will suit the car and have a torque rating to be able to handle the power of the chosen engine

But i still stand buy a xe will be less hassle, easier, and of course cheap!

im not really doing it on the cheap tbh i just have set my budget to the price warren has given me. if robin says the f13/f15 will be good enough them im happy to go with that, i just hope my gearbox is a f13
and i highly disagree that a xe will be cheaper is the short and long run

[Edited on 01-10-2008 by mobby]
rodgers-nova

1st Oct 08 at 12:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

xe-200 (with box loom ecu )
conversion mount £30
shafts £50
inner cv's £50
total £350!!
surly thats cheaper than buying a corsa c engine an faffing about with that!!!!
Jambo

1st Oct 08 at 13:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i admit i dont know the cost of z18xe etc, but xe has been done a million times which means theres a wide range of 2nd hand and new parts as well as more importantly knowlege/help.

Your choice is not a bad one, im just saying you will find the XE much cheaper/easier. Dont be put off by milleage, an xe on 100k with a decent history is better IMO than a low mile lump thats been abused/not maintained properly.

Just trying to pass on advice, i had a car with an engine conversion. They take trial and error and money. My car had numerous problems and i never skimped. The only thing i did "wrong" as suck was chose the f20 over f28. Mine always worked never blew up like people said, never was notchy etc. But in 5th on the motorway it sounded like the end of the world in the cabin. I drove to bournemouth, it gave me a headache. Also i was to scared to tune it for fear of braking it. F28 would have been a better choice.

Good luck either way, mate, they are fun

Mobby

1st Oct 08 at 13:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by rodgers-nova
xe-200 (with box loom ecu )
conversion mount £30
shafts £50
inner cv's £50
total £350!!
surly thats cheaper than buying a corsa c engine an faffing about with that!!!!

the prices you have quoted are on the low side, very low side, they also dont include fitting or the exhaust. if i was to buy a xe id want a good on and that would be 500, not one thats just a engine with fuck all histor or milage, i want a car that i can trust, not take it easy which is why i have chosen the 1.8( newer engine less milage)
rodgers-nova

1st Oct 08 at 13:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the prices i have quoted i think are very resonable and i wouldnt pay any more than that, any engine i buy would be rebuilt before its put in, id say every 20xe has been abused atleast once in its life time, there an old engine
rodgers-nova

1st Oct 08 at 13:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as for exhaust, just modify the standard corsa system to mate with the xe manifiold, no cost in that
Mobby

1st Oct 08 at 13:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
the prices i have quoted i think are very resonable and i wouldnt pay any more than that, any engine i buy would be rebuilt before its put in, id say every 20xe has been abused atleast once in its life time, there an old engine

exactly so why should i risk it and i also cant afford to rebuild it as it costs more in parts and labour. remember i only work two days a week! so the 1.8 is the perfect choice to me!
rodgers-nova

1st Oct 08 at 13:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you rebuilt it yourself would be much cheaper, if your worried about knolage, a astra/cav/cali haynes manual would guide you through it and your lerning in the process
Robin
Premium Member

1st Oct 08 at 13:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Mk4 Astra for the non FBW one.
Robin
Premium Member

1st Oct 08 at 13:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
if you rebuilt it yourself would be much cheaper, if your worried about knolage, a astra/cav/cali haynes manual would guide you through it and your lerning in the process

It'd cost you more if you did it wrong though, ask RobHayes how many times he ended up building an engine and how much better it would have been to do it right, once.
Mobby

1st Oct 08 at 13:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Mk4 Astra for the non FBW one.

whats fbw
rodgers-nova

1st Oct 08 at 13:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats just down to you at the end of the day, unsure of how to do something, ask
Cossie

1st Oct 08 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just to confirm that corsa 1.8 use f17 gearbox ! according to Tis and epc
Jambo

1st Oct 08 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

re-builds are over hyped. If its rattly and smokey re-build it.

If its not whack it in. I never had mine rebuilt, all problems i encountered where due to loom issues and where engine had moved underload rubbing other parts!

Robin
Premium Member

1st Oct 08 at 14:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cossie
just to confirm that corsa 1.8 use f17 gearbox ! according to Tis and epc

Yeah, but the F13 and F15 would both fit and are cable clutch.
Cossie

1st Oct 08 at 14:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes you can do f15 as it is identical to f17 but will not go for f13 as not stronger as the others also as as repeated many times the hydrolic slave cylinder clutch can be removed and install a manual one with lever like corsa b and a corsa c gearbox will not have a lot of miles on it !

[Edited on 01-10-2008 by Cossie]

[Edited on 01-10-2008 by Cossie]

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » 1.8 corsa B 22 database queries in 0.1005828 seconds