corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » xbox 360 and media centre

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author xbox 360 and media centre
C2RL R

User status: Offline
21st Aug 08 at 12:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

has anybody got there 360 set up so you can get all your files off a pc with media centre? i can't remember the actual name for what i'm on about sorry!
i tried to do it last night and it wouldn't work. just wondering if anybody could help before i make a big thread about it and get no replies!
Brett
Premium Member

21st Aug 08 at 12:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I managed it in Vista easily enough.

Just go into media player on your PC
Tools > Options > Library tab > Configure sharing
C2RL R

21st Aug 08 at 12:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i followed the instructions on the xbox. went to the xbox web site and it said my version of media centre is not up to date. i ran the updates and it still wouldn't work. is it worth the fuck about to get it working?
Brett
Premium Member

21st Aug 08 at 12:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did you try what i said above? Latest version of media player?

I'm using vista.
C2RL R

21st Aug 08 at 13:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'm using xp. its the version of media centre that came with the pc. its about 2 years old now. i have ran all the updates though and it still doesn't work. there is a message that pops up but i cant remember what it says.
James_DT

21st Aug 08 at 13:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You either need to use Media Center with a couple of updates, or the newest Media Player with Media Connect installed, depending on how you want to access the files.
http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/pcsetup/alldownloads.htm
C2RL R

21st Aug 08 at 14:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right, thanks. i'll give it another go.
C2RL R

3rd Sep 08 at 07:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'm still having problems with this.

last night i managed to upgrade to media player 11 and that seems to work fine on the pc.
clicked on media sharing and told it to share my media files but it couldn't see my xbox to share with. i have both the pc and the xbox connected to a bt homehub wirelessly.

i read somewhere that i may need to open certain ports on my firewall. i'm fucking numb when it comes to pc's so i'm not sure if i've done this correctly. i opened the ports in windows firewall but i don't know if i have another firewall setup that is blocking them still. like in AVG for example.

also i found this guide on the web
quote:

To start...only do this if you have followed on of the steps for setting up Media Sharing in Windows XP for Windows Media Player 11. If you have done this and your XBOX 360 still cannot see your PC then proceed.

I don't know if this item was ever resolved, but I had the same issue on two different XBOX 360's at two different houses. The resolution was the same for both of them. The problem is that at some point the DRM database for Windows Media Player 11 gets corrupted on machines that have Windows XP. I have not determined if this problem happens on Vista. Without a valid DRM database the Windows Media Player sharing service cannot function properly. It will show as running in the Services menu, but it is not really working correctly. To find out if this may apply to you can look in the system error log.

CAUTION: This process will rebuild you DRM database. Please proceed at your own risk. I have not encountered this causing any issues but I've only done it on two machines so user beware....

After a fresh boot so you will have restarted the sharing service and have fresh log messages....
1. Left click on "Start"
2. Left click on "Control Panel"
3. Left click on "Administrative Tools"
4. Left click on "Event Viewer"
5. In the left side of the menu, left click on "System"
6. In the right pane look for red "X's". If you see one with "WMPNetworkService" then there's a good chance this applies to you.

To resolve.....
1. Left click on "Start"
2. Left click on "Run"
3. Type in "regedit" to open the Registry Editor. BE CAREFUL IN THE REGISTRY! We are not going to change anything, just look.
4. In the left pane navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DRM.
5. In the right pane left double-click on "DataPath"
6. The value you will see in the right column is the location of your DRM database. Typically its something like "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\DRM". Remember this value.
7. Close the Registry Editor.

Due to some complications it is best to do the next piece in the DOS Shell
8. Left click on "Start"
9. Left click on "Run"
10. Type in "cmd" to open the DOS Shell
11. Type is "cd thevalueofthedatapathfromstep6abovewithouttheDRMpiece"....or using the value listed in step 6 as an example "cd C:\Documents and Settings\All Users"
12. Type "rmdir /S DRM"
13. Type "mkdir DRM"
14. Type "Exit" to close the DOS Shell

Now in Internet Explorer. Yes, it must be IE because an ActiveX control will be used next that only IE can handle. This will not work with Mozilla, etc....
15. Navigate to the website "http://drmlicense.one.microsoft.com/Indivsite/en/indivit.asp"
16. Install the ActiveX control when prompted
17. An active "Upgrade" button should appear in the middle of the screen. Left click on it.
18. Follow the process to install.
18. Once complete, reboot the PC.
19. Once the PC is completely booted your XBOX 360 should now be able to see your PC.

Good Luck

i'm not sure if i should try it or not as i may fuck things up.

can anybody offer any more support please?
blebo

3rd Sep 08 at 13:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you have ICS enabled on the PC, id you do cant share the internet connection and share music aswell
Half Pint

3rd Sep 08 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

should have got a playstation... it's easy...
charcoalgrill

9th Sep 08 at 15:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont bother, i went to the trouble of confiruring it and felt robbed.. can only stream mp3s, pics and mp4's. it is not compatable with divx so i cant play some movies on it.
C2RL R

9th Sep 08 at 15:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it doesn't work for me anyway. peice of shit tbh.

New Poll