corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » wanting to build my own media centre pc

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author wanting to build my own media centre pc
Cole

User status: Offline
13th Feb 08 at 20:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can someone give me some advise on what would me needed and where to get it from doesnt have to be anything massively spec`d jus something half decent
DannyB
Premium Member

13th Feb 08 at 21:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I recommend scan, i recently built a new rig, bought everything there and got great prices on everything and greast custommer service(delivering on time etc).
ed

13th Feb 08 at 22:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get a media centre extender. You don't need a whole PC dedicated just to stream movies to your TV
James_DT

13th Feb 08 at 22:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If he's got a 360 (I'm guessing, based on him having an Xbox Live tag), then he's already got a Media Centre Extender.
Dan
Premium Member

13th Feb 08 at 22:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

U2U barnshaw, he knows absolutley everything about making the best HTPC, helpful guy!

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
Twiggy

13th Feb 08 at 23:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dell?? saves the hassle!
Cosmo

13th Feb 08 at 23:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What you wanting it for? What sort of budget? What sort of size? Whats it going to be linked to? blah, blah.
Bart

14th Feb 08 at 08:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tbh, you dont need anything too special for a media pc.
Id say a gig of ram and a reasonable CPU.

The only thing you need to consider is storage. I personally use a NAS to store files on the network.
Cosmo

14th Feb 08 at 12:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2008/02/05/home_theatre_pc_motherboards_feb_08/1
Rob_Quads

14th Feb 08 at 12:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

With RAM prices as they are I would say 2GB, CPU wise, one for around £50ish should be good enough.

Graphics cards is where it can get interesting. What are you connecting up to.

Soundcards - Again - What are you connecting up to do you want optical? analog? 7.1, 5.1 etc

What sort of stuff are you going to be playing - x264 rips - BluRay / HD-DVD etc?
Cole

14th Feb 08 at 17:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i would be connecting it to my 32" tv in the lounge running 5.1 etc and it would be for hddvd and would want to use it for normal pc use also but thats not a priority its only an idea for now jus wanted some advise on what would be the best to get not really got a budget as of yet as i have no idea what i would need and what it all costs
Rob_Quads

15th Feb 08 at 11:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would go for one of the newer graphics cards with onboard HD decoding on it like the Nvidia 8600 - if you don't need gaming that 8600 offers great value for money. (note that this is better than some of the 8800 series cards as it has a better decoder on it). On mine playing a HD-DVD or BluRay only using 5-10% CPU because its all offloaded onto the 8500 GFX Chip

For CPU I would go for something half decent. Last night I tried playing a rip from a Sky - 1080i h264 footage and it was maxing out my Dual Core 2Ghz CPU ( well 1.6Ghz overclocked - unfortunately this won't offload onto the GFX at the moment as its not supported) Something like a

Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33GHz
or
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 2.66GHz

would do the job really well without breaking the bank.

New Poll