corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » add another server remotely?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author add another server remotely?
Bart

User status: Offline
11th Jan 08 at 08:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We are currently running sbs 2003 (not enterprise) at our office. Its fine for the 40 users we have here and everyone collects their email via exchange 2003 and also uses sharepoint intranet. There are also several shares on the network which everone uses.

Theres a good chance we're going to setup another office 15 miles away for approx 5 addition users and I was wondering what the best solution for email/file access would be? These users would ideally need access to everything, the intranet, files and emails.

Ive no experience in expanding the server etc so I though id ask fellow neowians. Should I be looking at adding another small server at this location and get them talking (I dont think i can expand on sbs 2003 can i?).

Or would VPN be the way forward? The only thing being we have an 8mb down 512kb up and so file / email access isnt going to be quick. We're a relatively small company so a cost effective solution is ideal.

[Edited on 11-01-2008 by Bart]
Steve
Premium Member

11th Jan 08 at 08:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

email, install exchange server and add the other site as another cluster in your exchange/active directory

also make the secondary server a member of your current domain and you'l get all the file access and permissions replicated across.

thats all providing you have the infrastructure for it
Bart

11th Jan 08 at 08:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

infrastructure being a decent network hardware?

Can you cluster with sbs 2003? I thought it had to be full blown 2003 for cluster?
Would we have to purchase exchange server and another OS for another server then?
flame1987

12th Jan 08 at 12:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you could purchase a lower spec server. Run DC promo at the main site. Giving the new server domain controller permissions. BY doing this it wil replicate all the info such as logins mail etc onto the new server then put it into the remote site allowing users from each site to log in and recieve mail.
MikeD

13th Jan 08 at 07:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

for 5 users why not setup a terminal server?
Paul

14th Jan 08 at 14:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The cheapest option is to setup a VPN to the office, and have everyone connect via a VPN.

Personally i'd be buying a leased line / SDSL if possible.

Ether that, or see if you can speak to someone about Metroethernet.

[Edited on 14-01-2008 by Paul]
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

14th Jan 08 at 14:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

VPN, Terminal Services.

As mentioned you may need additional bandwidth
Paul

15th Jan 08 at 13:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are you running VOIP over the VPN also?

Maybe you could look at Terminal services with an SDSL connection running a VPN to give you the up and down connectivity you need?
andy1868

15th Jan 08 at 14:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

we have a similar setup for one of our clients. one central office and 3 remote sites, all run over terminal services. runs smoothly, the only problems we face are with the database thats used

as paul has said, VOIP is also a bonus idea if the bandwidth allows, especially if the 2 sites need to be in constant contact

[Edited on 15-01-2008 by andy1868]
Paul

15th Jan 08 at 15:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bart,

We run a similar setup but on a larger scale. We run sites worldwide using the setup of Terminal Servers and VOIP to reduce cost and foot print. We use VPN for inter site communications, VOIP to reduce international call costs. Terminal services to allow all sites to use our in house software and saves on DB latency etc. Each remote site over a certain size gets it's own DC, FS, and PBX.

This all gives us the oportunity to run a 24 hour desk, and reduces our dependancy on any one site. Hope this helps.

[Edited on 15-01-2008 by Paul]
Bart

15th Jan 08 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just to confirm this will all be done with a machine running sbs 2003 and not the full blown win2k3?
MikeD

15th Jan 08 at 18:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you cant have 2 SBS servers on the same domain so that would rule out VPN between the 2 branches if thats what your planing? to have a server at the other site it would need to be full blown 2003

New Poll