corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Rear brake bias valve VS MOT

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Rear brake bias valve VS MOT
gavin18787
Premium Member

User status: Offline
2nd Nov 07 at 10:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whats the situation on these and MOT testing is it down to the discression of the tester?

As i need to get my car MOT'd this week and it doesnt have one in place as its lowered 60mm. Should I put the spring back in for the test or is it ok to leave it as it is? Its all secured up by zip ties at the moment.

Also if my car is burning oil will it pass the omissions? As i dont know what rpm they test them at. Isnt it fast idle and something else?

I feel a fail coming on

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
Dean_W

2nd Nov 07 at 10:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bias valve - If it is applying enough force to the back wheels, then it should pass. Mine is slackened right off and it passed in Feb.

Not sure on the oil burning.
Superlite Ltd.

2nd Nov 07 at 11:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

burning oil will cause high HC and it will fail
Vaux Lad

2nd Nov 07 at 11:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends how bad the oil burning is.
If the exhaust is smoking, that alone can be a failure.

They do a natural idle speed test(800-1200rpm range), usually about 900.
And a fast idle which is 2500-3000rpm iirc.
AK

2nd Nov 07 at 11:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

FAIL - emmisions
gavin18787
Premium Member

2nd Nov 07 at 11:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Slag

Piston rings are getting fitted next weekend but by this time it will have no mot, where would I stand driving it back from where the rings are been fitted to the MOT station?

Burns oil all the time but only smokes noticably above 4k rpm.

lil_g

2nd Nov 07 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by gavin18787
Slag

Piston rings are getting fitted next weekend but by this time it will have no mot, where would I stand driving it back from where the rings are been fitted to the MOT station?

Burns oil all the time but only smokes noticably above 4k rpm.

IIRC you can legally drive your car to a pre-booked MOT session
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

2nd Nov 07 at 12:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

brake bias valve will fail if its held up with cable ties. mine did. I argued the point that the car was far safer and stable under braking and with it fixed in the normal position the rear brakes lock up dangerously. I was given a pass with a condition that I construct a proper bracket.
Steve
Premium Member

2nd Nov 07 at 14:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Whats the situation on these and MOT testing is it down to the discression of the tester?

As i need to get my car MOT'd this week and it doesnt have one in place as its lowered 60mm. Should I put the spring back in for the test or is it ok to leave it as it is? Its all secured up by zip ties at the moment.

Also if my car is burning oil will it pass the omissions? As i dont know what rpm they test them at. Isnt it fast idle and something else?

I feel a fail coming on

you will FAIL on your spelling
gavin18787
Premium Member

2nd Nov 07 at 16:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Feck off

gavin18787
Premium Member

2nd Nov 07 at 16:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dave A
brake bias valve will fail if its held up with cable ties. mine did. I argued the point that the car was far safer and stable under braking and with it fixed in the normal position the rear brakes lock up dangerously. I was given a pass with a condition that I construct a proper bracket.

This was my thinking, might just take the spring in and put it in if they argue

tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

2nd Nov 07 at 16:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine passed in August, without the spring in it . Rear brakes still work fine, still locks up but is no longer tail-happy
gavin18787
Premium Member

2nd Nov 07 at 16:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well mine drives fine, brakes well and i have never had it lock up.
I assume it would just maybe fail out of the principle that it should be there..........

tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

2nd Nov 07 at 17:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well the tester failed mine on frayed handbrake cables, which I then replaced and it then passed.

I'm assuming that as he told me both cables were frayed (and they were - quite badly), he must have had a good look around that area.

I loosened the bias valve around May, and didn't notice it was missing myself until I went to fit the new handbrake cables, so may have driven for nearly 4 months without one
gavin18787
Premium Member

2nd Nov 07 at 18:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think I will fit the spring to be on the safe side

Or can they fail it for incorrect brake bias

gavin18787
Premium Member

3rd Nov 07 at 16:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get in!!!! PASS

Fitted the bias spring before I took it in. Tested the brakes on the way home and it was like i had applied the handbrake so ive taken it back off now

Emssions it passed I just made sure it was nice and hot when i got there as the fan was kicking in etc and luckily they tested it straight away. Was well within the limits anyway

Got one adbisory though was for a corroded chasis rail. Whats the best cure for this a clean up and some hammerite or something. As it doesnt look too bad

Simon_16v

3rd Nov 07 at 16:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Iv been told my chassis rails are starting to corrode and i'd need them seam welding up. But that was from a backstreet garage that proabably wanted them to do the work.
jr

3rd Nov 07 at 17:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Get in!!!! PASS

Fitted the bias spring before I took it in. Tested the brakes on the way home and it was like i had applied the handbrake so ive taken it back off now

Emssions it passed I just made sure it was nice and hot when i got there as the fan was kicking in etc and luckily they tested it straight away. Was well within the limits anyway

Got one adbisory though was for a corroded chasis rail. Whats the best cure for this a clean up and some hammerite or something. As it doesnt look too bad

clean up, weld, waxoil
gavin18787
Premium Member

3rd Nov 07 at 17:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

At the risk of sounding like an arse is the chassis rail the one that you see when you take off the jacking point covers on the side skirts where the jack goes?

New Poll