corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » steering feels different after putting on new tyres

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author steering feels different after putting on new tyres
corsa-sxi

User status: Offline
20th Jul 07 at 22:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the tracking seems to be slightly out, i have to hold the wheel slightly to the right to make it steer straight :S its strange cos i dont see how changing tyres can affect the tracking....i aint checked the pressures yet...maybe its over inflated? or could it be just new tyres need running in :S
Fro

20th Jul 07 at 23:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only thing i can think of is the pressures mate, even if they needed running in they would both be the same if they were replaced at the same time.
corsa-sxi

20th Jul 07 at 23:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

would pressure affect the track tho....
kingcobra

20th Jul 07 at 23:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

same situation here.. only that ive jus had my lowered 40mm on 15's
Robin
Premium Member

20th Jul 07 at 23:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tracking isn't out if you're having to hold it straight, that'll be the pressures.
corsa-sxi

21st Jul 07 at 00:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin
tracking isn't out if you're having to hold it straight, that'll be the pressures.

nah, i think the steering wheel is straight, but i hold it very slightly to the right for it to go straight..if u get me
Robin
Premium Member

21st Jul 07 at 00:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, pressures then
corsa-sxi

21st Jul 07 at 00:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i hope so, the fitter did them both, so i dnt see why he put different pressures in them, i dnt really wanna fork out £50 to sort it again, ive had mine tracked countless times now, i dnt even drive up kerbs and i avoid all potholes and man hole covers.....and in hull, i cant trust any1 to do it, cos they are all naff....

robin, whats difference between tracking and 4 wheel alignment? surely there is no point in tracking, as they need to be aligned to the rear wheels so the car can go straight?
Robin
Premium Member

21st Jul 07 at 00:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tracking and 4 wheel alignment are the same thing TBH, most people are just lazy and can't be arsed to type the whole thing

The back ones aren't adjustable on Corsas, but like you say, the fronts need to be set so the car drives right, so they hang flags on the back and line them up wit them

Check the pressures first, chances are it's that, the tracking has to be out a long way before it makes the car pull to one side.
Fro

21st Jul 07 at 00:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tracking on my corsa was 5mm out on one side, ate up a tyre I doubt yours would have ended up that bad just after i tyre cahnge
corsa-sxi

21st Jul 07 at 00:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin
Tracking and 4 wheel alignment are the same thing TBH, most people are just lazy and can't be arsed to type the whole thing

The back ones aren't adjustable on Corsas, but like you say, the fronts need to be set so the car drives right, so they hang flags on the back and line them up wit them

Check the pressures first, chances are it's that, the tracking has to be out a long way before it makes the car pull to one side.

i have always thought tracking is done with guages at the front only, which is cheaper, and 4 wheel alightment uses 4 guages inc rear wheels, ie vauxhall charge £50 for 4 wheel alignment and £25 for tracking :S, i opted for the 4 wheel option, they use manual guages, with a laser beam pointin towards the front, i had to hold the guage in place as my rear was too low for it to go over the tyre..i paid that much cos the service they provided me....

went to another place for 4 wheel alignment, all done digitally with flashy numbers and stuff, adjusted it 3 times and it was still wrong, guy even blamed the camber of the road making me poit the steering wheel to 1 side..i just left and went to vauxhall

ps what do u mean they hang flags at the back

[Edited on 21-07-2007 by corsa-sxi]

Fro

21st Jul 07 at 00:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think he refers to the lasers as flags, had my car jacked up at the back so the lasers would fit over my tyres
Robin
Premium Member

21st Jul 07 at 00:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Basically, the things at the top go on the front wheels, then the red things at the bottom (flags) hang on the back ones.

You make it right across the front (say -10 degrees) then make sure the numbers on the back are the same, and the steering wheel SHOULD be straight.

To do the 4 wheel adjustment, you do that with the back ones first, then do the fronts and everything is square.
corsa-sxi

21st Jul 07 at 00:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

thats what vauxhall use, they charged me £50 quid! i had to hold the back ones in place cos they wouldnt fit over my rear tyre......

so all tracking regardless 2 or 4 wheel all use 4 guages?

i asked vauxhall why they charge extra for 4 wheel alignment, they said cos it takes up time to put rear guages on...which led me to believe tracking only uses 2 guages for front only

to adjust they had a set number i think where the lasers should be pointin at the back, maybe 2 or 3, so if both lasers at the front that point towards the rear are the same numbers, its done

Robin
Premium Member

21st Jul 07 at 00:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can do the front tracking, but the steering wheel might be off centre.

It takes about 2 seconds to put the flags on the back, can't see how they can charge double
corsa-sxi

21st Jul 07 at 00:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they use a thing to make sure the steering wheel sit straight anyway.....

i just didnt know what the diff bwteen tracking and 4 wheel alignment is.

if front tracking has to use 4 guages, then ill make sure next time in in vx they charge me £25.....
Fro

21st Jul 07 at 00:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Come on Robin, It's vaux

New Poll