corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Bad tracking

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Bad tracking
Virtue

User status: Offline
   12th May 03 at 09:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Guys & Gals,

Had to get two new front tyres after the tracking was out on my X Reg Corsa SXI (B shape), and wore the outer wall of my tyres. They fitted the new tyres and retracked the car.

Drove it away, and the tracking was still out (pulling slightly to the right). Now it is out again by miles, and i can see the outer wall of the tyres are starting to wear AGAIN.

I don't want my tyres wearing away, have had it retracked but they seem sh*t at it. And ideas as to what could be up?

Cheers,

simon
Sam
Premium Member

12th May 03 at 10:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Go somewhere else to get the tracking done. In my old Corsa I last had it done by Kwik Fit, I had to go back there about 5 times before an "experienced" bloke sorted it out for me!
M4tt

12th May 03 at 11:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i thought that when the tyres wear away on the outside edge was something tho do with power steering.

cause my old corsa that had power steering suffered from the above prob, but the one i have now doesn't have power steering, i've done 15 000 miles on it and the tyres don't show n e wear like that.
Virtue

12th May 03 at 11:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by M4tt
i thought that when the tyres wear away on the outside edge was something tho do with power steering.

cause my old corsa that had power steering suffered from the above prob, but the one i have now doesn't have power steering, i've done 15 000 miles on it and the tyres don't show n e wear like that.

Ah, sh*t, power steering problems. Do you know what was up with your power steering? Did it cost much to fix? Can it be fixed by someone like kwik fit, or is it vauxhall dealer jobbie?

cheers
lacky75

12th May 03 at 11:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

word of advic never go to any place like quick fit (biggest bunch of cowboys going)

Ask your mates and see where they take there car to get serviced, i find independant garages alot more friendlier and far more experienced.

Sam
Premium Member

12th May 03 at 11:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It just sounds like the tracking hasn't been done properly. Most national tyre places are cowboys and never do the job properly. All they do is basically tighten/loosen a nut on the track rod arms to sort out tracking problems on cars.

I don't think it's anything to do with your power steering at all to be honest.
FrankP

12th May 03 at 11:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yep, get them redone soon or the tyre will wear to a taper and no matter how many times u get it fixed the tyres will pull it back to its ferked up position.
paul_spurrell

12th May 03 at 13:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just a little warning. When you have your tracking done you will not notice the effect for a few hundred miles, cause your tires have to wear
Virtue

13th May 03 at 08:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh dear...

The tracking was fine. And now the steering has gotten worse. I actually have to fight to keep the car driving straight.

Took it too Kwik Sh*t for the tracking, they showed me everything with the tracking checck, and I believe them that there is nothing wrong with the tracking.

They did say it could be a bush gone and my mate had a similar problem with his mk3 Fiesta and that was wheel bearings on his.

Any ideas? And, where can I get it repaired? Kwik Fit dont do it, and I dunno how much it'll be...?

That'll teach me for going over speed bumps too quickly
jm960326

13th May 03 at 08:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ATS will check your tracking for free, so if its OK you dont have to pay. My ex's car was miles out and wore through 2 pirelli's in 4000 miles. Had it re-tracked and the guy said come back in a week, it'll probably need doing again as it was so far out.

Cars can also pull if your balancing is out too. Tyre pressures aswell??

Get it checked elsewhere, tell them the problems etc, ATS would prob check see if it is something else that has gone.
FrankP

13th May 03 at 10:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

usually if the joints r going the tyre wear is on the outside. go to a suspention centre. they'll tell ya whats wrong. and go to a couple of 'em.
Virtue

13th May 03 at 11:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, the wear on the tyre is on the outer wall (rest of the tread is still really deep, new tyres etc).

The car pulls to the right, so the outer wall wear is on the passenger-side tyre.

It is pulling really badly now, esp at high speeds (70mph for example).

I've spoken to National Tyres, they do suspension stuff, looks like i need a day off work!

cheers
paul_spurrell

13th May 03 at 11:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is your car lowered at all? what wheels are on the car?
Virtue

13th May 03 at 14:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Car isn't lowered, standard ride hight on the standard vauxhall 14" alloys

New Poll