corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Corsa 1.6 sport fitted with astra XEL engine

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Corsa 1.6 sport fitted with astra XEL engine
Metzy

User status: Offline
22nd Jun 07 at 01:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi been reading on here for ages using the search etc to solve little probs and find out how do little things etc but lately we have one big problem and i need help on how to fix it please i need help and advice not people laughing at how weve been conned i will get pics tommorrow but for now halp as you can

My brother after having 2 corsa 1.4 16v Sports decided that he wanted a 1.6 (needed to be standard car for insurance) last weekend we went to go look at a Corsa GSi, it was a dog so we walked away,

the next day we went to go look at a 98 R corsa 1.6 16v Sport, 100k but 'refurb engine' the car was generally tidy and IMO the bodywork is all original etc, it ran smoothly, ticked over for half an hour with no probs and drove well appraently (left that to my bro)

the brakes werent very good at all with a very long pedal travel, BUT we just though right we will put new discs and pads on etc and hope it all wears in alright

it dropped a bit of water while we were looking at it, this concerned us alot BUT my brothers first 1.4 did this and that oddly solved itself and NEVER caused any difference and it seems it was from the bottom of the coolant tank the car ran fine etc though and it was the only reasonable one we could find in his 1k budget so we brought it

He just taxed it yesterday so this morning took it work, it was gutless, slower than his 1.4 16v, the exhaust front join is blowing but it isnt quick and gets the 5k and stops even when fully warm

we got the bonnet up today again and i remebered a lad i knew had to change his inlet manifold i then noticed the manifold on this isnt the same as the 1.4 16v one iv got, this one goes like a sideways S shape or like a kick in the line of each inlet port

Now after a bit of serching im guessing the complete PRICCK of a previous owner has put an Astra or Vectra engine in there? on closer inspection i have notcied the inlet is that big it has touched the bulkhead a couple of times and has chaffed the brake lines on the left hand side at the back

there is also a sensor that sits inbetween the top and bottom inlet manifolds and is bolted to the bottom one it has two connections for what i assume are vaccum hoses but both are not connected to anything, there is an electrical plug in on it but no plug to plug in to it , there is a little right angle vaccum hose that comes from the back of the head/rocker that has had a screw put in it so im asuming this is one of the conncetions for that sensor

Sense tells me at the very least we need another inlet top and bottom, now i have a 1.4 16v engine out of a 96 Corsa Sport that is for going in my Mini project but if it fits the 1.6 i will give him this inlet and ill find another

how hard are they to fit? will the astra fuel rail or what ever its out off fit the corsa inlet?

I will stress he has no money at all to spend on it that why we brought the seemingly honest original late sport rather than the T&T GSi that needed work, also the ecu light isnt on to warm of any problems etc

thanks for any help people, be kind

wayne

[Edited on 22-06-2007 by the younger modder]

[Edited on 01-07-2007 by the younger modder]
P1CK4D

22nd Jun 07 at 07:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is there a summary of all that? Im sorry, but I really cba to read it all...
Fro

22nd Jun 07 at 08:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does sound like a bit of a dog mate, people might be able to help you more if you get pictures.

Should have been wary of any 1.6 sport available within such a small budget, sorry to hear about his problems though
gianluigi

22nd Jun 07 at 08:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by P1CK4D
Is there a summary of all that? Im sorry, but I really cba to read it all...

he bought a corsa sport 1.6 for 1k. drove it, it was gutless, slower than his previous 1.4

looked at the engine and it would appear that the inlet isnt a proper one....perhaps one from an astra or vectra.

wants to know if he can fit a 1.4 16v inlet back onto it, and how hard it is to do.

he'll get pics in due course.

basically imo, it would seem that you didnt look at the engine when you bought your car, and if you did then i cant understand why you bought it.
Dean_W

22nd Jun 07 at 08:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The engine sounds like the X16XEL engine, out of a astra or vectra. The other problem you have with this is the head is different from the usual head. The head on this will have smaller ports. Hence the lower power.
P1CK4D

22nd Jun 07 at 08:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Gian! Pehaps you've bought a write-off?
topshot_2k
Banned

22nd Jun 07 at 08:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have a spare upper and lower inlet for a a X14XE
Dean_W

22nd Jun 07 at 09:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by P1CK4D
Cheers Gian! Pehaps you've bought a write-off?

Why would they swap the engine in a write off?

Don't talk silly.
Ste L

22nd Jun 07 at 10:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

did you not think to look at the engine before you bought it?
topshot_2k
Banned

22nd Jun 07 at 10:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

or test drive it
Metzy

23rd Jun 07 at 01:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for those that have been helpfull so far its appreciated

ill let the pics say the rest

wayne
Metzy

23rd Jun 07 at 01:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also on searches the only differences i found was the inlet manifold? as the astra one provides a longer torque curve for the extra weight of the astras but looses out on pure BHP?

and on the courtney site for the mantzel tuning box's they state 15 BHP gain for the corsa 1.6 16v and 20BHP for the astra 1.6 16v which suggests even more that its manily the inlet?

wayne

[Edited on 23-06-2007 by the younger modder]
Corsa E-Tec

23rd Jun 07 at 02:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks like an astra engine in there mate,

get a x14xe or x16xe lower inlet and a mantzel or a decent copy off ebay and that sort ya problem out or get the inlet setup from another car.
Fro

23rd Jun 07 at 09:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And i thought the corsa inlet was restrictive
Ben ev

23rd Jun 07 at 09:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

make sure hehasnt taken the bulb out of the clocks for the eml
Dean_W

23rd Jun 07 at 10:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got a mantzel for sale.
topshot_2k
Banned

23rd Jun 07 at 10:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have an upper and lower inlet for sale
csweatherston

23rd Jun 07 at 18:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

defonatly an xel in there........whys the cam position sensor disconnected?
Metzy

1st Jul 07 at 02:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks for all replys i have got the x14 manifold of my mini engine he can use if it will fit? he is really tight on money at the moment as he has just brough a house

he quite likes the astra inlet at the moment as it has bottom end grunt which is what it was designed for in the astra and the astra does have more torque than the corsa doesnt it? or at least at lower revs?

quote:
Originally posted by csweatherstonin there........whys the cam position sensor disconnected?

thats my main worry to be honest and what damage can this cause? i know in my mind its pretty serious but what confused me is how it can run fine without it?

another thing will i need the fuel rail etc etc from the corsa version or will the asra one transfer? how hard in reality are these to fit in the car? i can see straight away out ofthe car like mine is its piss easy to change one but what about when its in the bay?

thanks again guys its appreciated

wayne
ainsley_brader

2nd Jul 07 at 20:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Inlet manifolds are very tight to fit in the car but quite doable.

The x16xel also had smaller ports than the 1.6 using a 1.4 head but i suspect the difference in power will be slight.

The same is true of the cams the 1.4/x16xel ones being different to the x16xe ones.

Also the ports in the lower inlet od a x14xe are smaller than the x16xe!

So yes your min engine inlt will fit but you would still be a little bit down on power!

Ainsley

Metzy

7th Jul 07 at 00:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sorry for the late reply i seem to be at work more than home lately

quote:
Originally posted by ainsley_brader
Inlet manifolds are very tight to fit in the car but quite doable.

The x16xel also had smaller ports than the 1.6 using a 1.4 head but i suspect the difference in power will be slight.

The same is true of the cams the 1.4/x16xel ones being different to the x16xe ones.

Also the ports in the lower inlet od a x14xe are smaller than the x16xe!

So yes your min engine inlt will fit but you would still be a little bit down on power!

Ainsley

right latest is on an airfield totaly flat it did just over 100 topped out so somerts a miss there astra engine or not

it is rubbing on the brake lines so after some words with the missus hes allowed to spend some of the house renovation money to sort the car, now whats the best way to get it to a good sport power level? after reading the above posts it seems the xel is pretty useles standard and would explain why it feels slower than the 1.4 (it probably is)

we already have the downpipes and full stainless system off his 1.4 sport so theyre going on as the car has an extended astra downpipe currently which cant be helping so this is going on

im thinking an x16xe or c16xe inlet manifold (both will fit?) and associated fuel rail? then one of them cheaper mantzel box's off ebay and it should run a good 115bhp? and i would hope i can do that for £250-300?

at the moment it has grunt at the bottom end (as the engine is desgined for in the astra) but bails out at like 3k but then it starts to come alive at 5k but then hits limiter almost straight after i know you have to drive the 1.6's hard as my mates dad who is a driving instructer has one and that has to be driven hard but this doesnt seem willing?

any more help will be much appreciated

thanks

wayne

New Poll