corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » My budget track car *** now for sale**

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author My budget track car *** now for sale**
ash87

User status: Offline
25th May 07 at 21:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

will watch this project, cheap white 8v's are the future
SteveoBC
Premium Member

26th May 07 at 07:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by STEvieXE
looks great, if u dont mind me askin after u welded up the wiper hole, is that a f/glass filler u used (the green stuff)

why did u do this??

yeh that is f/glass filler paste from a company called "plastic padding" ther filler is available at any local halfords, works just like normal filler, add hardener and away you go

i used it because due to me using a mig welder on the tailgate panel, to tack the backing plate in place it will warp metal with the heat, plus using f/glass paste gives a stronger base for the top layer of normal filler as this reduces sinkage, instead of whacking loads of normal filler which would sink easier
SteveoBC
Premium Member

26th May 07 at 07:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right im off into work, got a couple of things to do to get my C sorted for PVS if i get time i'll do some work on the wasp and post em up

laters!
STEvieXE

26th May 07 at 10:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SteveoBC
quote:
Originally posted by STEvieXE
looks great, if u dont mind me askin after u welded up the wiper hole, is that a f/glass filler u used (the green stuff)

why did u do this??

yeh that is f/glass filler paste from a company called "plastic padding" ther filler is available at any local halfords, works just like normal filler, add hardener and away you go

i used it because due to me using a mig welder on the tailgate panel, to tack the backing plate in place it will warp metal with the heat, plus using f/glass paste gives a stronger base for the top layer of normal filler as this reduces sinkage, instead of whacking loads of normal filler which would sink easier

i knew i had saw green f/glass filler before, remember now using the plastic padding stuff. why would it sink if its welded solid?? when i do things like this i just take my time welding it and never used f/glass and havent had anything sink yet. hate that stuff unless its to be used on f/glass which its supposed to.

i mean if say for instance (i take it your a metal worker) ur welding a 1/4 panel on, u dont use f/glass over the joints before filler and ive yet to see one came back sunk..

i dont like using it unless its necessary. warm day i always think about the filler expandin/contracting at different rates and poss crackin. no proof of this, just a theory. ah well suppose different people do things different ways. gd luck man. looks like a gd job ur doin
SteveoBC
Premium Member

26th May 07 at 17:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh ur right standard filler over 1/4 panel welds are fine

but i only tacked the backing plate behind the hole, this wil hold it in place fine and keeps the heat down instead of doing a continous weld, and used the f/glass to fill the recess and it is fine for a base of filler then a small skim of top-stop to finish it off

i dont do continous welds on 1/4's either to stop panles warping, you do little sections at a time and blow air onto the joins between welds to keep heat down, make life lot easier when applying finish skim of filler
SteveoBC
Premium Member

26th May 07 at 17:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok another update got the cav rims painted

just before final prep and degrease

rubbed with 3M grey scotch, blown off dust, degreased and place face down for the inside to be painted first

inside finished

flipped over when dry and did the fronts (first pic when wet)

died with a nice matt black finish

close up

job done

now its a case of do i leave em matt, or apply some lacquer to em later??
STEvieXE

26th May 07 at 17:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats a very old fashioned way of welding joints. at thatcham now they want u to weld the joints continous. u tack every cm or so with one single tack. then grind all the tacks flush. then start at one side and go the full way accross without stopping.

i didnt like the sound of this when we were told about it but gave it a go and now wouldnt do it any other way. sometimes it does warp yeah but same thing happens with welding small sections at a time.

i have never blown air on them either when doing it the old way, ur heating them up and then cooling quickly with the air will cause it to buckle etc etc

one more thing? if the plate was only tacked on the hole to avoid warping why is the repair so big for the small hole?
SteveoBC
Premium Member

26th May 07 at 17:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats only the way i do 1/4's, yeh i do do the tacks across the join grind them and then do the main weld, but just never do it in one go, i just find it easier when applying the finishing filler, each to their own i suppose, just the way i was taught

the repair section of filler is bigger because was sanding the paint off around it and it showed up another dent next to it i missed, so filler both under one skim
STEvieXE

26th May 07 at 17:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

try it in one go, even try the smaller joints first before u do the big ones.. turn the welder down tho lol. its a real gd job
SteveoBC
Premium Member

26th May 07 at 17:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont worry stevie, bigger structural sections yes i defo do continous welds,due to the gauge of the metal being much thicker, just passed my welding standards test for that, doing the overhead and vertical continous welds and what not

[Edited on 26-05-2007 by SteveoBC]
STEvieXE

26th May 07 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah i remember doing that also. done it twice, once at college and once in work. was the assessor out with the verniers measuring the defects?? is it 150mm of weld with 5mm of defects allowed or something. lol gd craic
SteveoBC
Premium Member

26th May 07 at 17:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

had to do overhead butt and T weld, 250mm by 50mm plates of metal and vertical down butt and T welds again with 250x50mm pieces of metal

15% of errors allowed plus u had to stop in the middle on all of em and continue again
STEvieXE

26th May 07 at 17:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

we did

overheads
vertical
horizontal

All butt joints

t fillet and overlap

twice for each of those on different quages of metal, then all the spot welding crap. we didnt have to stop and start again.

sorry for spamming up your topic. car looks gd
SteveoBC
Premium Member

26th May 07 at 17:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no worries, bloody knackered today got bugger all sleep, had to finish those wheels off, then strip the irmscher airdam off my C to get that repainted cos the prepper who did it first time round did a cack job and some paint has flaked off, so took it apart and re-prep'd it myself

hope i can get it painted and fitted back on before PVS my C has a corsa combo bumper on it for the time being lol

[Edited on 26-05-2007 by SteveoBC]
Rich H

26th May 07 at 18:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Now I've seen pics of your C, I know who u are now!!

Track project sounds cool. Will be keeping an eye on the progress!!

What yellow you going for?
SteveoBC
Premium Member

26th May 07 at 18:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dunno its a mix of 5 yellows my painter mate didnt need, so hes giving me em for free, see what we get when i mix all 5 yellows together lol
SteveoBC
Premium Member

29th May 07 at 20:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

only a quickie update, sprayed my cav gsi wheel centre caps today to match the wheels

scotched, de-greased, sprayed

before

during

after

richard_cooper

29th May 07 at 21:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking good
sam13

29th May 07 at 21:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

great progress keep it up pal
SteveoBC
Premium Member

30th May 07 at 21:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Update again, had a stoke of luck today, had a written off Corsa B Ls come into work,with post 97 front bumper, had a bad knock on the wing and driver door mashed, plus the fron suspension was wasted, but my boss let me swap bumpers with it and got hold of a passenger side mirror i was in need of, RESLUT! saved me a few quid who needs a scrappy where i work lol

....although had to do it out in the rain at lunch, but here it is, its in quite good nick re-texture the o/s of the plastic where it has a scuff, spray that black and spray the bottom half yellow (may even use it as a test subject, we'll see )

oh and it looks really clean cos i just wiped some de-greaser over it to check for any hidden scrapes or scratches under the mud that it was caked in

SteveoBC
Premium Member

23rd Jun 07 at 18:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Update time again everybody

spent most of the day at work today and finally tackled the underbody rust that has been on my mind for aaaaaaages

the 2 holes on the chassis rails at the front were my main concern, but they easily wer grinded out, found some spare ford chassis leg parts which were the right gauge metal i wanted, cut out the plating to the right sizes welded on and sealed up, easy!

so near side front chassis rail (note i did spray black stonechip sealer over the lot of these but forgot to take pics DOH!)

before

during

after

offside chassis rail

before

during

(pics of plate welded over missing)

after

n/s rear rust

before

during

after

o/s rear rust

before

during

after

and thought id give the rest the cars original sealer a fighting chance so sprayed the underside in black stone chip aswell as over the rust repairs, makes it look 10x better and fresh

heres the sealer stuff i used for anyone interested

SteveoBC
Premium Member

23rd Jun 07 at 18:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh for those who want an idea the colour will be like

heres the paint i got for free all mixed together the other day

ed

25th Jun 07 at 16:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is that an air powered caulking gun?
SteveoBC
Premium Member

25th Jun 07 at 18:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it is an airpowered sealer gun
AndyCorsaSport

25th Jun 07 at 21:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Take it your a panel beater?

Im an apprentice panel beater, wish we could do that much at my place, ive done loads, but not as much as id like to.

Sounds like you and other Steve both go, or have been to Thatcham aswell?

I go to Thatcham for my college training.

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » My budget track car *** now for sale** 23 database queries in 0.1624670 seconds