corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Normal laptop or Macbook ??

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Normal laptop or Macbook ??
Mase
Premium Member

User status: Offline
13th May 07 at 14:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm looking at getting a laptop just to do some uni work, browse internet and watch films and the like and quite like the look of the macbook. Has anyone had any experience of these ??

I've never had an apple computer before, so don't know a huge amount about them or the operating system, but i like the look and the size of them, as I could do with it being fairly mobile and compact, so i can take it to uni and on the train etc.

Am I right in saying that you can use windows on the macs now ?? How compatible is normal software on the OS ?? As in Word / Excel or any other standard office sort of software...

If you can reccomend another conventional laptop that looks good, around £800 or so, feel free to let me know....

Cheers

Steve

Mase
Greg_M

13th May 07 at 14:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you will need mac versions of software. i.e. office ect.

ive used mac's in the past and really like them, its a swings and roundabouts debate over whats better imo.
Mase
Premium Member

13th May 07 at 14:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are they noticably faster than normal laptops, as i've heard their good for graphics work, so i assumed they would have to be fairly nippy to cope with the software etc. ??

Mase
AndyKent

13th May 07 at 15:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not used a macbook/powerbook but have used a normal mac some time ago.

Can't say it felt particularly quick, but was very 'clean', easy to use one you get used to only having a left click (or right using a keyboard button).

I've just bought myself a samsung windows laptop - would've had a macbook if I could afford one but windows will do me perfectly well (running vista )
Marc

13th May 07 at 15:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My Brother and his Girlfriend both have Macbooks. Look very nice, like ipods do etc! The general opinion is they are better machines ie operating system etc. I have a Dell though, was put off a Mac purely because a pc is more convieniant for me, ease of downloading software plus my friends have Windows based pc's so I thought it would be easier for when we need to transfer software etc.
Laney

13th May 07 at 16:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The only problem I've had with mine is WiFi.

If you're at Uni, ring up and ask for a Student Discount. Should knock off the VAT for you

[Edited on 13-05-2007 by Laney]
James_DT

13th May 07 at 16:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Student discount is 14% depending on what you buy, they'll give you that in the Apple Store, too.
You won't really need a Mac version of anything as the Macbooks will run XP and Vista.

Also look at the range of refurbished Macbooks on the Apple website. Same warranty, as-good-as brand new computer but with one third off.

[Edited on 13-05-2007 by James_DT]
Cosmo

13th May 07 at 17:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you have never used a Mac then OSX (operating system on them) will take a week or so to get used to but isnt hard and is much better than Windows IMO. And as mentioned you can get Mac versions of Microsoft software (and most others) and failing that you can either run windows or use a programme called Virtual PC that will let you load and run windows programmes.
Laney

13th May 07 at 17:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by James_DT
Student discount is 14% depending on what you buy, they'll give you that in the Apple Store, too.[Edited on 13-05-2007 by James_DT]

My mistake
topshot_2k
Banned

13th May 07 at 19:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

macbook is poorly built, we have swapped at work to HP's as they are better built
Cosmo

13th May 07 at 19:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by topshot_2k
macbook is poorly built, we have swapped at work to HP's as they are better built

did you want one with something microsoft on did you, oooo I bet you did, microsoft, mmmmmmm!!!!
topshot_2k
Banned

13th May 07 at 19:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
quote:

did you want one with something microsoft on did you, oooo I bet you did, microsoft, mmmmmmm!!!!

they connect to the ctrix servers anyway so yes. Macs have shit keyboards, DVD drives that dont release CD's and generally dont last aswell as HP/Dells
Cosmo

13th May 07 at 19:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Macs have shit keyboards, DVD drives that dont release CD's and generally dont last aswell as HP/Dells

Are we talking laptops or desktops too here? As my Mac has a great keyboard, no problem with the DVD drive and has had ZERO problems compared to 3 same aged Dells that we have in the family.
topshot_2k
Banned

13th May 07 at 19:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Macbooks and the smaller 13inch ones we have 120of them and have now decided to change back to HP/Dells.

i would guess about 40% have had problems resulting in returns to apple
Marc

13th May 07 at 20:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

James_DT

13th May 07 at 22:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
If you have never used a Mac then OSX (operating system on them) will take a week or so to get used to but isnt hard and is much better than Windows IMO. And as mentioned you can get Mac versions of Microsoft software (and most others) and failing that you can either run windows or use a programme called Virtual PC that will let you load and run windows programmes.

Parallels will let you run Windows natively alongside OS X on the Intel Macs without the need for Virtual PCs (or booting out of OS X, like Boot Camp), it's much faster and you can just have the app you want in OS X without having to switch to a Virtual machine everytime.

New Poll