corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Microsoft's 360 Discontinuing HD-DVD?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Microsoft's 360 Discontinuing HD-DVD?
Rus

User status: Offline
8th May 07 at 07:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.xbox360forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36958

Bad news for HD-DVD as Microsoft goes Blu

Article by Rachel Konrad 06/04/07 The Associated Press

There is Bad news on the horizon for X-Box 360's HD-DVD Drive owners as Peter Moore told Rachel Konrad on a recent trip to Japan while entering negotiations with Pioneer. Microsoft's Xbox corporate VP of worldwide marketing and publishing Peter Moore told Japanese site ITmedia that the imminent release of the Blu-ray Xbox 360 peripheral could appear for the system before Christmas. Moore admitted that Microsoft's opinion on HD-DVD as the Next Generation format winner is bleak with the worst-case scenario being a repeat of the Beta vs.VHS war of the '80s. Moore also added Microsoft is giving the consumers the most cutting edge technology out there and In this moment in time Blu-Ray is that.

As per usual Peter Moore couldn't help but have a go at Sony and the PS3 "However, he suggested that whatever the outcome of the HD-DVD/Blu-ray war, the Xbox 360 can adopt the dominant format since its uses an external drive. He also suggested that it's a weak point for PlayStation 3, saying Sony's system is stuck with only 1 format. Microsoft announced the Blu-Ray peripheral will connect to the Xbox 360 using one of the system's USB ports. Moore once again confirmed that the Blu Ray add-on for the Xbox 360 is only for watching movies, and there are currently no plans to use it for games, nor are there plans to release an Xbox 360 with an internal Blu Ray drive.

[Edited on 08-05-2007 by Rus]
Nath

8th May 07 at 08:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why not just have both on the shelves?
topshot_2k
Banned

8th May 07 at 08:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they always said they didnt choose one format over the other. either way im not fussed as i dont own any HD/Blu ray titles and will wait until the standalones are cheaper.
topshot_2k
Banned

8th May 07 at 08:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the first link doesn't work.
the link to itmedia talks about the poor sale of the ps3 during the holiday season.
the link to engadget talks about a $300 blu-ray COMPUTER drive, not an xbox 360 add-on drive.
the last link is from a rumor from January 2006. it's a year old rumor with no proof.
thread failed.

also MS have not said they will stop selling HD DVD drives, i should imagine both will be available
Nath

8th May 07 at 08:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not just me that couldnt find anything concrete in any of those links then
Rus

8th May 07 at 08:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

talk about shoot the messenger

i only copied it from another forum. pff
Rus

8th May 07 at 08:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

first link does work
second is in japanese
third doesn't work
fourth, yeah your right. it is a year old
Steve
Premium Member

8th May 07 at 09:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

speculation IMO

i dont care either way whichs wins tbh as MS will bring out whatever is most used

[Edited on 08-05-2007 by Steve]
dave17

8th May 07 at 10:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont care either, but whatever they do choose, i hope they make it compatible for games, as that is a major edge PS3 has over the 360
Steve
Premium Member

8th May 07 at 10:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

storage space of a normal DVD will easily outlast both consoles, wont be til the next gen of consoles come along will the capacity of Blu ray or HD DVD be needed
dave17

8th May 07 at 10:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

steve you know nothing about game development whatsoever. you cannot say that as you have no idea what developers have in mind etc. the larger the game, the more space you need, its simple. if people want to make huge games, they will develop for Blu-ray/HD DVD
Steve
Premium Member

8th May 07 at 10:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont know anything, this is from reading from people that develop the games

take oblivion, that game is absolutely HUGE, and that takes up a 1/2 of the space, go figure
topshot_2k
Banned

8th May 07 at 10:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

or use multi dvds
topshot_2k
Banned

8th May 07 at 10:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its a lame argument, GoW also used less than half of the space it could have used
Nismo

8th May 07 at 10:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rus
He also suggested that it's a weak point for PlayStation 3, saying Sony's system is stuck with only 1 format. Microsoft announced the Blu-Ray peripheral will connect to the Xbox 360 using one of the system's USB ports.

what a load of crap, whats to stop sony from making an external one that connects to the USB port

MS Chump.
Steve
Premium Member

8th May 07 at 10:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nothing but its a bit poor if it did fail that youve paid an extra couple of hundred quid to get a device thats pretty much useless, and then have to spend more money getting something that is right
dave17

8th May 07 at 10:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im not going to argue with you, because you will both spout bullshit all days about how anything that MS doesnt do, is crap.

i know for a fact that certain developers can see problems starting to rise with disc space on a DVD.

Yes, the games arent using all the disc space at the moment, but imagine if they had made the game more in-depth. more speech, more textures, more video.....
topshot_2k
Banned

8th May 07 at 10:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

SONY CHUMP
topshot_2k
Banned

8th May 07 at 10:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dave17
im not going to argue with you, because you will both spout bullshit all days about how anything that MS doesnt do, is crap.

i know for a fact that certain developers can see problems starting to rise with disc space on a DVD.

Yes, the games arent using all the disc space at the moment, but imagine if they had made the game more in-depth. more speech, more textures, more video.....

use a 2nd disk
Doug

8th May 07 at 10:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont care who wins. I just want the best from my gaming experience!
Steve
Premium Member

8th May 07 at 10:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dave17

like i said, not my thoughts, what iv read from games developers themselves, if they want to add more sppech, textures whatever theres plenty of space to do so

theres no way games are suddenly going to get twice as big in the next 3 years its taken about 9 years to go from 700mb to about 4gig

the only games that require loads of space are sims, like Flight Sim which is about 6 gig, however you wont get sims like that on a console

Rus

8th May 07 at 10:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

gta4 is having issues with the lack of disk space on the xbox at the moment. i made a thread about it a few days ago
Nismo

8th May 07 at 10:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
nothing but its a bit poor if it did fail that youve paid an extra couple of hundred quid to get a device thats pretty much useless, and then have to spend more money getting something that is right

live life on the edge
Steve
Premium Member

8th May 07 at 10:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rus
gta4 is having issues with the lack of disk space on the xbox at the moment. i made a thread about it a few days ago

thats hardrive space rus, a different issue entireley and only affects people with core systems

Nath

8th May 07 at 10:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Doug
I dont care who wins. I just want the best from my gaming experience!

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll